Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pupils to be sent to Auschwitz

Pupils to be sent to Auschwitz

Just seen this. Inspired or a waste of taxpayer's money?

Personal view, I can think of few things as powerful as seeing one of the greatest atrocities ever committed by man against man. I wonder what message these chosen students will bring back and whether they can pass on something relevant to their peer.

Re: Pupils to be sent to Auschwitz

Seems a bit harsh. Can't we just - you know - give them 100 lines, like when I was at school?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post

Personal view, I can think of few things as powerful as seeing one of the greatest atrocities ever committed by man against man. I wonder what message these chosen students will bring back and whether they can pass on something relevant to their peer.
    I've been there, and it is definitely a day that will forever be etched in my memory. The difficult thing will be choosing the best pupils to attend, and how to disseminate the experience to their peers. That'll be the hardest bit.

Personal view, I can think of few things as powerful as seeing one of the greatest atrocities ever committed by man against man.
    You make it sound like an atrocity from the past. Ethnic cleansing might not be going on in Germany any more, but the rest of the world is still catching up.

I think a trip to Rwanda or Palestine would be more apt and really give them something to think about.

A trip to Auschwitz is like saying "Phew...thank God that's all over and we wont be seeing the like again".

As the bloke in the building society advert says - It doesn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    You make it sound like an atrocity from the past. Ethnic cleansing might not be going on in Germany any more, but the rest of the world is still catching up.
    I agree with the sentiment of what you are saying, but I think the point is that it wasn't just ethinic. Gays, musicians, dissenters etc were all put in the camps. I think the practical aspect is that the infrastructure is there to communicate what happened, why and its its continuing relevance.

If you took someone to Rwanda ... what would you show them. Destitution, open graves, tales of horror ..... so what? Go to any West African country and you'll see that. Want to see real oppression ... go to China .. .want to see racial divides ... pick nearly any country in the ex-Soviet Block, want to see crass racial abuse ... put them in with the Spanish at the F1.

As Steve said, there are many examples and many messages ... but how to get them communicated back to their fellow pupils at home. Thats the real challenge.

I think a trip to Rwanda or Palestine would be more apt and really give them something to think about.

A trip to Auschwitz is like saying "Phew...thank God that's all over and we wont be seeing the like again".

As the bloke in the building society advert says - It doesn't work like that.
    WW2 was billed as "The war to end all wars"

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could be either. As always, it depends on how it's done.

It's certainly not an obviously dumb thing to do...

there are many examples and many messages ... but how to get them communicated back to their fellow pupils at home. Thats the real challenge.
    I agree that communicating to the pupils is the most important thing.

My point is, there are just as many monstrous crimes being commited around the world today as there were in Germany 60 years ago. I think that children, or young adults would find the history of Auschwitz fascinating and alarming, but it all happened in a time that even their grandparents are unlikely to remember. It's difficult to feel anything other than apathy for something that happened such a long time ago.

I think the only thing we can teach children today (if we are being honest and factual to them) is that no matter how disgusting humans behave to each other, we never ever learn from it.

I think the only thing we can teach children today (if we are being honest and factual to them) is that no matter how disgusting humans behave to each other, we never ever learn from it.
    I disagree.
    We can teach them that despite the ongoing disgusting behaviour of others, the child has the option to choose to behave in a different manner.

That's such a shame to feel so hopeless . I'd rather my children felt that they could make a difference by being good, decent, tolerant people. They may not have power over how the world is run or the persecution of other humans all over the globe, but they can learn that it's wrong and a shame and ensure that they're not part of it...it's not much, in the grand scheme of things, but it's hopeful.

I can't decide if sending school kids to Auschwitz is a good idea or not. 'Schindler's List' was powerful enough for me.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    WW2 was billed as "The war to end all wars"
    Actually, that was World War I. Now there's irony for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I disagree.
    We can teach them that despite the ongoing disgusting behaviour of others, the child has the option to choose to behave in a different manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    That's such a shame to feel so hopeless .
    Yeah, you are right. I'm being too negative. Individuals can make a difference but globally, the world is still home to lots of Hitler types, who'd do it all again if they could. If only we could have ignorant freak cleansing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Seems a bit harsh. Can't we just - you know - give them 100 lines, like when I was at school?

I have just received a round robin by email stating that the UK has just dropped the HOLOCAUST from the school syllabus.

Perhaps sending 2 sixth formers from every sixth form to Auschwitz is a sop?
    Last edited by Astro; 5th-February-2008 at 04:26 PM.

I have just received a round robin by email stating that the UK has just dropped the holocaust from the school syllabus.
    Does it say why???

They shouldn't drop it, its a major part of history and should be known to pupils about what happened during that time.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have just received a round robin by email stating that the UK has just dropped the HOLOCAUST from the school syllabus.

Perhaps sending 2 sixth formers from every sixth form to Austwich is a sop?
    Hoax:
    BBC NEWS | Education | UK government acts on hoax e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well I didn't post it on, I never do, as they are usually hoax's.

Have deleted the bxxxxr.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Never! Well, blow me down. It had none of the tell-tale signs of a hoax...apart from all of them.

I'm pretty sure 'the holocaust' wasn't on the curriculum when I was at school. We certainly didn't learn about it in history - we did 'eras' - one I remember was the french revolution; another was causes of WW1 - and so unless you did WW2 as your 'era' then the holocaust would not feature.

Everything I learnt about the holocaust - AFAIR - I learnt outside school.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Never! Well, blow me down. It had none of the tell-tale signs of a hoax...apart from all of them.
    Seemed to me to be an attack on Islam.

It was making out that Palestinians do not believe that the Holocaust happened. I think it is just sxxt stirring.

Whoever wrote it was using the lever that the Jewish won the new state of Isreal on the back of WW2. The Palestinians, who are Islamic, maintain that the land belonged to Palestine and should not have been given.

I read somewhere that the land in Palestine has passed back and forth so many times, that no one really knows who it "belongs" to.

Thread Information