Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Re: Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Perfect example of this was James McLauchlin who was around most of the weekend in the main room and was happy to dance with everyone and anyone. Restored my faith in teachers being "normal" people

Went dancing last night to local venue and it so isn't Southport Roll on May / June
    Peter and Amy were dancing all weeked

and cheer up we have Lucky and Ruby Friday night

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I don't recall seeing Nigel or Nina out in the evenings
    I am led to believe that Nina had to rush off straight after her class on saturday as she had a previous engagement saturday night down in London. She was not very happy about leaving though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I had a few lovely dances with Nigel
    Me Too,

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    No, we shall be taking note of your previous comments and for the May/June event, lay a floor on the Blues Lounge terrace, but risk the elements in favour of the opportunity of dancing in the moonlight ( I feel a song coming on!)
    WooHoo! I love being able to hang out on the terrace in the sun!

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post

There was an incident on Saturday night when I was dancing with a young lass, who, to be fair, was a very good dancer. However, throughout the dance, she had the same expression I'd wear if I was undergoing a colonoscopy. It got to the point where I said, playfully "It's alright to smile you know." She replied, "Well, I would, if I was dancing with him", pointing to a hotshot across the dance floor, before letting go and stalking off, mid-dance. Needless to say, I was pretty amazed at this, and felt very deflated.
    I agree with RobD that these are examples of stunningly bad manners. I have used the 'it's ok to smile' or 'don't worry it might never happen' light-hearted, playful type of comment myself in the past when a partner seems really sullen. Sometimes people get that look when they're concentrating and a little comment (kindly said, not sarcastically) can make them realise they are a bit disconnected from their partner. I cannot think of any circumstance which makes it acceptable to compare a lead to another dancer on the floor and then walk off. The only acceptable reason for walking off would be if the lead persisted with moves (be they close hold or dips/drops) that a follow had indicated politely that they don't feel comfortable with.

I had one really lousy dance and one in which my lead seemed to look anywhere but at me. Strangely it was the latter which would have made me give up halfway through, if either. At least the lousy lead (inappropriate close hold, 'nuff said) was paying attention to me! I'll be avoiding any future invitations to dance from those particular leads.

One of the nicest compliments I had all weekend was during one of my few dances in 'hotshot alley': "I love the way you smile so much when you're dancing". Now I don't wear a fixed grin at all times but I do think it's important to look a partner in the eye and smile at them - sometimes it comes naturally from the sheer exuberance of dancing and sometimes it takes a little conscious effort. Perhaps the compliment reflected the fact he hadn't seen many smiles, I don't know!

I had a similar experience on Sunday, when I approached a similarly hotshot woman for a dance. I asked her if she wanted a dance. She turned slowly (I am not kidding), looked me up and down and said with deliberate emphasis and drawled: "No, I don't think so," and looked away.
    I quaked a bit when I read this as the words (but absolutely not the attitude) sound like something I might say - I am hopelessly fussy for music although I really am trying to do better, but there are quite a lot of things I just wouldn't enjoy dancing to. If I'm asked in the first two bars of a track I don't know I really want to ask for 10 seconds to decide if I like the music please? So I might say something like 'I don't think so' but I would always finish the sentence with 'because I don't like this track - can I get you for the next one?' or words to that effect. I did that several times this weekend and found some very nice dancers that way. Most askers take being declined very politely but often seem surprised when I do actually chase up for the next track, perhaps cos they thought it was a brush-off?

Anyway, I really hope the poor experiences fade faster than the good ones for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    I am led to believe that Nina had to rush off straight after her class on saturday as she had a previous engagement saturday night down in London. She was not very happy about leaving though.
    yes this is true and orignally Nigle was going to have to go with her, glad he got it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    If I'm asked in the first two bars of a track I don't know I really want to ask for 10 seconds to decide if I like the music please? So I might say something like 'I don't think so' but I would always finish the sentence with 'because I don't like this track - can I get you for the next one?' or words to that effect. I did that several times this weekend and found some very nice dancers that way. Most askers take being declined very politely but often seem surprised when I do actually chase up for the next track, perhaps cos they thought it was a brush-off?
    If I say this to a lead who asks its actually a compliment. It means I like dancing with him and want it to be a better track and not just go through the motions of a dance to a track I'm not inspired by.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Peter and Amy were dancing all weeked

and cheer up we have Lucky and Ruby Friday night
    Yeah can't wait.. hopefully I will get to dance with Ruby this time and will have a better dance with Lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Yeah can't wait.. hopefully I will get to dance with Ruby this time and will have a better dance with Lucky!

Ruby is lovely to dance with
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Really sorry to hear that you had this experience Chris, I have experience of being turned down and looked over like this in the past and it is hurtful. You are a courteous and talented dancer and always a gentleman on the floor, with good attitude and great musicality. It's their loss that they were so up their own backside they couldn't see what they were really missing. As robd said don't let this spoil all the highlights of the weeknend you experienced.
    Cheers Rosie, thanks for that! To be fair, these were the only bad experiences I had in around 20+ hours of dancing, so that's not a bad average. Those forumites I did dance with (such as yourself, Caz and Jamie and anyone else I've forgotten!), were really fun and positive and made the whole trip across the Pennines worthwhile.

Right. I'll make a post on my first Southport.

In Short

It was fab.

In Length (well not quite that long)

Dancing - The standard did scare me somewhat, especially when I first got there. My dancing was pretty poor throughout. Need to pace myself next time. Thanks to anyone I danced with and so sorry to a certain person (they know who they are). It was also good to see so many of my favourite followers there too.

Classes - Good variety. Viktor I thought was class. B&H I thought weren't too bad but I did steer away from moving around to fixed couples after the first WCS class. People seemed to be less pleased in WCS than MJ if a beginner like me messed up. A DT would have been nice. My attempts are a little lame compared to some (Trampy 4 on 1).

Floors - Mainhall was nice and fast but a little slippy making me fall on my backside on the odd occasion. Ouch. Also I bit too hot. Blues room was fine, just a little cold if someone opened the doors for too long to walk in/out. Latin Qtr, only danced once in there. Dance Den, where the hell was that?

Accomm - Tipical Pontin/Butlins style. I'm very used to it having spent 18 year, twice a year going Barry Island. Didn't spend that much time in there but it was handy being close to the dance halls. Oh and that lock to get in. Got the nak of it eventually.

Cabaret - Fabulous. Especially B&H. Highlight of the weekend easily.

That will do for now. Was going to do a longer one but my memory is failing me.
    Last edited by Steven666; 6th-February-2008 at 07:06 PM.

I've uploaded some photos. Though the pictures aren't publicly advertised they are available to anyone who has that link so if you think a photo shouldn't be up there let me know and I will remove it. They aren't in massive size format so let me know if you want a bigger version of any of them.

I only took my camera out once so I hardly have an extensive representation of the weekend.

Registered User The Passion Harem's Avatar

I had a fabulous time. Thank you Jon & Wes.

The Good (in no order)
    CJ's afternoon sets - Saturday set best of the two, not by much. Thank you all for not asking me to dance to Freebird, I sat as close to a speaker as I could without climbing inside, timeless.
    Zebra Woman's set in the Latin Room on the Sunday night
    Dance Demon's Friday & Sat AM sets
    Roger Chin's final Sunday morning set
    The atmosphere in the Ballroom on the Sunday night / Monday morning
    Dances with SnowWhite (everyone just ), Jamie() & Noel (), WittyBird & Caz -fun as always. Not a bad dance all weekend I felt - thank you all
    Tango Dances - both in the Dance Den and in the other rooms (Zebra Woman, Lory, Yliander, HelenB (Ballroom also in June?), Little Monkey, Lynn, Smiley Sue and Twirly Bird from 7.30am Monday morning onwards....)
    Dizzy - so kind too my WCS

The Bad
    No Nessiemonster
    Not having Trampy & Tigerbabe playing- but that is the way...

The Ugly
    Sheepman's WCS set on the Sunday morning - interrupted my Southport zone that was building up all weekend and had peaked thanks to Zebra Woman & Roger Chin hoping for it to continue straight through to the last dance- came back by 7am though once more interpretive, playful/ cross over music started to be played, a long wait though.
    As others have said, Dance Den & Blues Lounge, too much WCS music in the Blues Lounge during the WCS Dance Den sets.

A personal thank you to Wonder Woman for doing all the driving, cooking me bacon in the morning, diner on Friday & Sunday night and being a great chalet mate.

Spartacus for being good company in the car and letting me sleep on the way home after having only an hour in bed - it is all you need.

May Southport continue to evolve.

Thank you Jive Addiction Team

I had a similar experience on Sunday, when I approached a similarly hotshot woman for a dance. I asked her if she wanted a dance. She turned slowly (I am not kidding), looked me up and down and said with deliberate emphasis and drawled: "No, I don't think so," and looked away.
    I experienced something along the same lines on Saturday, as a tall, older woman I struggle to find the confidence to ask a lot of the good male dancers. I had stopped one guy from leaving the floor and asked him for a dance and he took a few seconds with that look on his face that said I really don't want to but I can't think of an excuse at the moment. He did dance with me though, and it was really good and he looked quite surprised at the end. I didn't bother asking him again.

Cool Re: Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Lead View Post
    I experienced something along the same lines on Saturday, as a tall, older woman I struggle to find the confidence to ask a lot of the good male dancers. I had stopped one guy from leaving the floor and asked him for a dance and he took a few seconds with that look on his face that said I really don't want to but I can't think of an excuse at the moment. He did dance with me though, and it was really good and he looked quite surprised at the end. I didn't bother asking him again.
    I know I have been guilty of this. VERY seldom is it because I don't want to dance though. Freestyles and weekenders are a little different..... you dance for such extended periods at a weekender, it may be something as simple as you need the loo and have tried to leave the dance floor the last two tracks already; or eat; or cool off; or change your shirt; or grab a drink; or... well you get the idea. Although I can honestly say I have never felt this way because someone is a tall, older woman.... mind you I'm not sure if I fit into the 'good male dancer' bracket anyway.

If only having fun on the dance floor wasn't such a serious business

Aye aye Miss Lead please grab me and Stokie at the next Southport.

We may not be the best dancers and we may not be hotshots but we will dance your little socks off all night .

Now theres an offer from 2 of the most gorgeous men on the forum.

Stokie I am sure you will not mind me volunteering you for this.

Ps how was the little pressie I gave you Stokie?

DTS Dave XXX XXX

After lots of badgering and such a busy few days after i've had time to sleep and recover (sort of) to post my thoughts...
    This was my first ever south port and only my 2nd weekender (1st one was breeze last year). WOW!!! I had heard that it was good but i don't think i've had THAT much fun for a long time - especially all weekend. It was great to catch up with people from whom i met at Breeze.
    I arrived with Mr Darcy and HelenB who both made the journey feel really fun, relaxing and effortless.
    Was feeling a bit intimidated when first walking into the blues room - don't think HelenB has ever seen me that quiet before but after a few dances I found my stride.
    Met a few new forumites - HELLO!!! plus the many others I already knew.
    Special mention to Killingtime who helped me in the chalet before dancing Friday evening and just good fun to be around in the chalet when I gate crashed.

As for my dances, I had my first connection dance on Saturday afternoon... took me by suprise and blew me away... AWESOME!!!

Saturday night was fun dressing up in a toga to help Fletch - hahaha (See Killingtime's pics of me the barbarian )

Music was great in both the Jive room and the blues room... the odd track here or there was *** is this but 1 or 2 over a whole weekend is nothing.
    Not only was the dancing at such a high standard, the people were so friendly, even in so called "ego alley" - not one of them refused a dance with me.

Sunday night music in the jive room was awesome (especially the funky music early in the morning, but then that's my taste).

A weekend i won't forget in a long time... thanks to everyone I danced with and hope to see you all soon.

Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    Giving people feedback is good, but there's a lot of potential to demoralise if you single out...
    The shock discovery that my West Coast is not 100% perfect in the eyes of an international teacher did not damage my self-esteem.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    No, we shall be taking note of your previous comments and for the May/June event, lay a floor on the Blues Lounge terrace, but risk the elements in favour of the opportunity of dancing in the moonlight
    Can we have fairy lights too?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Sounds so pretty

Commercial Operator

Why, do we have any fairy's coming?

Thread Information