Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    What was most important to me was the music in the blues room for the last few hours of the day (I.E. 3am-9am). This was all completely magical. There were tracks played during this time that I personally feel you would never hear anywhere else.
    This is a time for the real enthusiasts Stokey. I play music in those sets at Southport that I never play anywhere else. Thanks for the feedback over breakfast, it makes doing these sets all worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    John, U're sleaze section approx half 7 on Sunday morning hit the spot nicely!!! Tho, I'm not saying who's spot!!!!
    Yeah! it seemed to do the trick and gave everyone a second wind ( among other things)..........

That was my first Southport and it was amazing. For previous weekenders I've been on my own and they were good if a little lonely at times but sharing with a couple of friends this time was so much better, even though one of them didn't get in before 7 each day!

I wasn't on the floor as much as I wanted but I had some amazing dances, not sure all of them were recognisable styles, certainly weren't MJ but they were probably the most fun. I don't know if I danced with any forumites as I only learn 3 names a night and I'd done the whole 3 days worth the first 10 minutes.

I just danced in the main room as the others were too scary, perhaps I'll try them in September. I found the floor just right though, I usually end up with a very sore knee after a few hours but the pain is remarkably unremarkable today.

Chalet was fine and quite cosy although the bathroom window didn't quite shut and we had to sweep away the sand to find the bath each morning.

Brilliant music, some of it I'd never consider for jiving before, I may be making a few suggestions now.

I did notice that the bar area often seemed more crowded than the other parts of the Blues Lounge (as we must now call it).

I didn't ask anyone at the bar to dance. I guess I assumed they were buying drinks. In any case, the layout of the room made them inaccessible without walking across the dance floor.

It would be interesting to have some marks on the floor of that area separating off walking/drinking area from dancing area, both to allow people to enter and exit, and to allow people to get to and from the bar. This might also increase bar takings.

Well I might as well be the one to ask to obvious question now:

Will the extra flooring in the blues room be there in June....please?

I know we will have the marquee and the outside space but it still gets mighty crowded in there at peak times and the extra flooring seems to have been an unqualified success for all the reasons that have been mentioned.

So, Jon and Wes - how about it? Go on, spoil us

Smile Re: Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Well almost back to normal whatever normal is.... well here my take on SP

The Ugly:

My dancing.... oh dear oh dear didn't find "directions to the zone" till the last night... and make matters worse once in it I had to leave it at 3am *sniffle sniffle*

The Bad:

Didn't get the southport buzz until the last night. For some reason I always feel like a fish out of water when am away from my local dance floor. So it took me a long time to loosen up. So I didn't ask everyone i wanted to dance with. Its somewhat deflating when you know you can dance so much better than you are. So yeah i voided dancing with several forumitees that are just i look in awe at. Anywho onto the good...

Da Good...

Finding the southport buzz.

The tiny blues lesson given by Killingtime and HelenB

Dancing to Ooh in the blues room (my best dance of the weekend).

Meeting a two newish forumitees at the breakfast club.

Being there for a freebie CMS ( I promise to make more of an effort for dressing up for next SP).

Right now onto to more dancing.....

See ya all next SP?..........

I had a fab Southport. Maybe not my best though.

There's so many things I liked about this Southport...

• I thought the addition to the blues room of a second floor was not a moment too soon. I've complained about the main blues room floor being too crowded at peak times, and this helped a lot. Hopefully it will be back in May/June, along with the bare decking and no tent!
    • I really liked the conditions of all the floors – except at the bar area. I like a fast floor, and the temporary floors and the main room and blues room floors were just about perfect. The bar area though didn't impress me so much, so I avoided dancing there.

(With regard to "ego-alley", etc... The folks I asked to dance there didn't seem to have any ego problems – and were just as accessible as any other group of people. I think though that there is something about that area that attracts people who like to perform to an audience.)

• I liked the dancing. I can only think of one dance that was less than good. Most were simply fantastic. I had some excellent dances with old friends, and met a few new people to watch out for in the future.

• I like the compliments. On Saturday night I was told I had just given someone their best dances of the weekend. That really helped me feel better about my dancing, which had had trouble finding "the zone" until quite late on Saturday.

• I liked James McLaughlin's classes. I didn't actually do them, but the couple I watched were fantastic fun. Hope we get him back teaching us some other stuff too.

• I liked the cabarets. Some fantastic dancing from everybody involved. Anyone know the music used by B&H for their first dance?

• I liked most of the music. I hardly ventured into the latin room, but when I was there, I thought the music to be well-chosen. The blues room was also mostly good, apart from too much fast swing at times – I went through to the main room to get some slower dancing.

The main room was mostly good, though I thought it was a bit unadventurous at times. Also, with the presence of the latin room, I thought there was too much latiny music played. I don't recall hearing much hip-hop/R&B type music. Did anyone (apart from James in his class) play "The Way I Are"?

I enjoyed much of CJ's sets, though the Mariachi stuff is a bit hit'n'miss for me. I really appreciate though that you are pushing the envelope.

I though that Richard (aka DJ Steve) stuff was good too.

• I liked that there appeared to be fewer video cameras in use. (Doubtless though there's at least one pirate video of B&H's cabarets.) I liked the pictures I saw taken by someone on Friday night. He said he'd post them on facebook – can someone PM me a link when they go up? Ta!

• I really liked the company. Of my roommate, of the folks who invited me to dinner on Saturday night, and of all the other folks I spent time with over the weekend. I'm not a very social animal, but I appreciate the company I get.

Some other random thoughts...

• I only watched a bit of Benji & Heidi's classes, so I can't comment on them as a whole, but I was intrigued by the different way they did some things. I wish I had had the patience and energy to actually do their classes to better understand both where they, and their critics were coming from.

As they said at the Cabaret, their contract means they can't be filmed for the DVD. I was also told that it prevents them from dancing with punters.

Hopefully they will be back once they are out of contract and show us they can fit in well like all the other US pro's who have been over before.

• I thought the programme of classes to be quite good, nice mix of traditional faire, with the some novelties. How about some capoeira, or contemporary for next time?

• I was amused at the Kingdom of Dance shop, when after I tried on size 8.5 shoe to find it was too small, I tried a size 9, to find it was smaller! Such a shame, as they were the Aris Allen suede-soled trainers I'd like to buy. If anyone can get hold of a good supply of these or something similar, they could make a fortune.

• I had a wee impromptu DJ slot on Saturday lunchtime when the DJ meant to be covering the blues room was needed elsewhere, and I was persuaded to go fetch my iPod... Hope those who were there enjoyed it. Sorry for the poor sound quality. Next time I'll maybe bring my laptop – I'll also then be better able to plan what I play. Don't look for me in the main programme any time soon though!

• I have a place booked for me in May/June, but I'll probably looking for someone to book with for September.

• Must try harder in June & September to get onto people Southport aftermath posts...

That's it!

Thanks to John & Wes & their team and the teachers and DJs for all their hard work. Thanks to all the dancers who made it a great weekend.

Thanks again to all my friends for getting me there, putting up with me, and getting me home.
    Last edited by ducasi; 5th-February-2008 at 09:18 PM.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Anyone know the music used by B&H for their first dance?
    IIRC it's called 'Work that floor by Snub & the Ego'

It can be found on iTunes under Record label ' Substandard Accommodation '

Glitter Queen

I had a mixed Southport, but the negative aspects were all personal and of my own creation, nothing to do with the dancing or organisation of the event which was as brilliant as ever - apologies and thank yous to all who put up with my sleep-deprived, emotional state Fri/Sat .

The Good:

Everything ran like clockwork from the punter's perspective - no queue for keys, the chalet heaters were on and it was toasty warm, the venue set up was excellently set-out (the extra floor in the blues room was a stroke of genius and should be repeated), water was available and the rooms didn't seem to suffer temperature-wise.

The cabarets - I think they were all very good, I even (for the first time ) enjoyed the group show that James and Siobhan choreographed, well done to them. I was pleased I had seen Benji and Heidi perform in the flesh, they were amazing to watch!

The dancing - I didn't have a bad dance all weekend so thank you to all my partners, especially the lovely Robd and all the tolerant ladies that put up with my leading.

Saturday dinner - despite Cruella being late it was lovely to have an alternative to the forum BBQ and do something a bit more personal. Thanks for the laughs and the company, they were much appreciated.

Richard (aka DJ Steve ) Van Dyke's afternoon blues room sets - just the right mood and pace for my liking, and made for some delicious dances. Thank you.

Respect to Paul Warden and Catriona Wiles for showing up for some social dancing and being every bit as entertaining, welcoming, professional and fun as I would expect of a top teaching couple .

LemonCake's ginger cake and chocolate brownies!

McJester sorting out my shoulders and giving me some useful advice.

Finding dance heaven on Sunday night - I was really having the time of my life, my dancing was clicking into place and I was loving every second. Special thank you to DJ Sheepman for playing my request before I left on Monday morning.

The Bad:

Benji and Heidi have already been discussed at length so I'll simply add that apart from their cabaret I wasn't impressed. Give me Robert and Deborah any day!

Missing out on dances with lots of people that I felt to shy to go and ask. I will pluck up the courage one day.

Being repeatedly bashed into on a sparsely populated dance floor by one teacher through no fault of my own.

Having a very strange interaction in the Dance Den on Sunday morning that made me feel that I wasn't even to be worthy to be asked to dance.

The Ugly:

The state of my bank balance, preventing me from buying any new shoes.

Roll on June!

Well i actually feel awake enough to add my bit now!

Fab bits

My dance partner Paul of course - and my chalet buddies Witty and CentrAlex - boy did we have some serious laughs

Spending time with Amy and Peter - you guys are inspirational

Vegetable - you were amazing - please dont ever lose faith!
    StokeBloke - never danced before but really loved our dance early hours of Monday morning
    Mr Cool - does exactly what it says on the tin - thank you for restoring my faith
    Peter - I think i did better my second time round - thanks honey

Also me and Paul had some wicked double trouble's

Stayed out of the blues room this time round - loved the Latin quarter - and the main rooms music was much better than Sept - Top marks to Mick for his set every track was fab.

Roll on Storm

Re: Southport - the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Why?

Did you think people who didn't 'get' the reference would lack the ability to look it up themselves if they wished to?
    Hmm. Why do you need to carp?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear View Post
    Hmm. Why do you need to carp?
    Just fishing for information.

Why do you need to answer a question with a question?

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Ta I did understand it as did anyone who did a class with Heidi - Obviously you weren't there.

Yup!
    I did all four WCS classes. I was just pointing out a connotation I wasn't originally aware of. Obviously wide of the mark on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Just fishing for information.

Why do you need to answer a question with a question?
    I am almost amused. And why not?

Had a great time!

In true Eeyore style, the down sides first...
    I was so tired Sat I missed out on daytime dancing in the blues room, always the best bit for me. In future will schedule classes around freestyle, not vice versa - used to manage to stay up late too but not at the last couple of Southports...

I was dismayed that the WCS & tango classes were put head to head in the programme - I guess it made numbers more manageable but I'd have loved to have the option of both given the time & energy.

I also felt that the music in the blues room was too upbeat while the WCS was on in the dance den. I love WCS, but during the dedicated WCS freestyle if people are in the blues room it suggests they're there for blues - 4 venues is fantastic but only if it offers 4 styles...

Re the WCS classes, as always I did learn from hearing things put a different way. However, many people there were getting their first taste of WCS, & the basic techniques were skipped - connection, compression, the starter step hold... - then they were told they weren't doing it right, when they hadn't been told in the first place! And as for singling out individuals for criticism during the class, IMO it's unprofessional.

My feet ! Made the mistake of wearing my freestyle shoes for classes Sat - that plus WCS in dance den took hours off my dance stamina... But new foot massage kit was delivered the night before Southport - & worth every penny.

Was turned down for one dance - ironically Stoke Bloke, bearing in mind his post - oh well!

Good things:
    I have to agree, the extra dance area in the blues room was ideal (if a little bright, but not enough time to prepare for mood lighting I realise) - I did wonder how it would work, it gets crowded even with the decking area... So if we can keep the extra space in future, perfect!

I did make the blues room Sunday teatime, & caught the last half hour I guess of CJ - fantastic music ! Had some lovely dances with old & new partners both then & other times, but I have to say - thankyou to CJ for playing Will You? by Hazel O'Connor - always been a huge favourite of mine since it was released, way way before I started dancing, guaranteed to give me goosebumps just listening to it. Never danced to it before this weekend, when it came up twice - & my other huge thankyou is to the guy in the red trousers who danced to it with me Sun teatime - I have no idea who you are, but the dance was perfect , wow! You've both made a little donkey very happy!

Lovely dances with Warren (so sorry to miss you Sun night - but really needed some sleep before driving home), Vegetable (wish I'd caught you for CJs set), DTS, Randall, Steve, Bobby, Under Par (my fastest spins of the weekend - hope your fingers survived!), Chef, Raphael & lots of others whose names I don't know - but some lovely new discoveries!

Finding that WCS has given me more confidence to play around & take extra beats etc - I hope it worked & didn't drive my partners mad - the sabotage thread has me a little worried...

Predictable:
    Car was packed by 10.30am Mon morning, except for 1 thing... Had to extract Smiley Sue from the Blues room, she was still dancing

I really enjoyed my first ever February Southport. Excellent chalet buddies in Peaches and JohnL again and a most entertaining journey there and back ( well at least when I wasn't asleep).

Most definately the most social Southport for me so far. Social dancing also one of the best for me. I do appreciate the comments made above (thank you Trouble, Minnie M and the ever gracious CJ) but honestly I did not have a single average dance all weekend ..... they were all good/incredible.

Regrets, I have a few ....... no matter how much time I spend dancing at Southport there are always people I can't get a chance to dance with, in particular apologies to Lory, Cruella, DD+ and Foxylady.

I did however have some lovely dances with some I had not had the chance to dance with before ........ TwirlyBird - sorry I forgot to introduce myself during our dance in the Latin Quarter ( 'twas me who you congratulated on finally getting a dance from you after a year of seeing you about ). Also Mr Bean ( welcome to the forum big man pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife). Zebra Woman, although not a new experience with you, it was the first time we've done it fast!

I danced everywhere this weekend except for the Dance Den ( no good at WCS ) and I really didn't notice any unwelcoming area, quite the opposite infact, I for one felt more comfortable than at any other Southport.

Highlights were ( in no particular order) :-

THAT meeting at the bin store

Free birthday entertainment in the shape of Morven.

Being a part of G.A.Y. on the road on Saturday night / Sunday Morning in the Ballroom.

Trampy leading us four men at the same timeStevie boy.

Bringing new meaning to Hanging from the ceiling ( you know who you are X )

Having THAT Southport feeling for the WHOLE weekend ........ you guys rock see you in May.

Charlie

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    IRegrets, I have a few ....... no matter how much time I spend dancing at Southport there are always people I can't get a chance to dance with, in particular apologies to Lory, Cruella, DD+ and Foxylady.
    Nice to know our dance on Friday night was that memorable. (You even made me squeal, most men would remember that!)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    Well I might as well be the one to ask to obvious question now:

Will the extra flooring in the blues room be there in June....please?

I know we will have the marquee and the outside space but it still gets mighty crowded in there at peak times and the extra flooring seems to have been an unqualified success for all the reasons that have been mentioned.

So, Jon and Wes - how about it? Go on, spoil us
    SURE WILL

"WAY too many breathtaking dances but at risk of offending:
    Freudian Hips, Tiger Pants, Hungarian girl, Carela, Hevmate,"

Thanks CJ, I had a fab time playing with you

Great weekend, a total relax for me, I usually have to work at these things (might have to for the next one!) got some major stress on at the mo so this was just perfect.
    Absolutly NO sleep (probably thinking about some riskay dances-sniger)

John and Wes, you do an awsome job, I know how much work goes into these things- very much appreciated.x

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post

Predictable:
    Car was packed by 10.30am Mon morning, except for 1 thing... Had to extract Smiley Sue from the Blues room, she was still dancing

Forgive me??
    SX

A few more comments...

The music
    Don't think I mentioned this as I pretty much expect the music at SP to be excellent, but that doesn't mean I take it for granted. I really appreciate all the work the DJs put into their music. Yes, not every track is to my taste but I like that things are being challenged. A track I might not feel in the mood for will be just perfect for someone else. And with so many rooms to choose from, its easy to relocate if a set isn't doing it for me. Not that I ever actually felt the need to do that myself but I was happy to relocate with some partners who preferred a different room for a few dances.

The floor
    Ended up on the floor twice when dancing. Once when put into a rather off balance spin, and then apparently someone bumped into me in the middle of that, all I knew was that I went flying (I didn't just fall over I had a fair bit of momentum going!) and landed with a bump on my posterior! Ouch! The plus side was that it wasn't too busy and I didn't land on anyone else. Really felt like limping off the floor wincing as I was in pain, but you sort of feel you have to keep dancing don't you?

The second time was a lot funnier as I ended up on the floor of the main room with a perplexed MartinHarper looking at me saying 'I didn't lead that!' One leg of my trousers had got wet, stretched and slipped under my heel causing it to vanish from underneath me. I think I just giggled (as not at all hurt) and bounced back up again.

The compliments
    I notice that several people have mentioned this and I know I really appreciated the compliments, whether spoken or implied (multiple dances etc). It really does make you feel good about your dancing which then of course makes you dance better. And also next time you dance with that person you know they like dancing with you so you enjoy dancing with them even more and then they know you like dancing with them...I know people roll their eyes at all the dancing loviness but there is an important element of mutual appreciation really enhancing a dance.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    What was most important to me was the music in the blues room for the last few hours of the day (I.E. 3am-9am). This was all completely magical. There were tracks played during this time that I personally feel you would never hear anywhere else.
    The late night dancing was wonderful this time around. I had to fade on Sat night before 7 due to simply not being able to keep my eyes open but on Sun night/Mon morning I had danced all night and quite simply did not want to stop - because of the music and the people - who felt exactly the same way - and that was special. Thank you to all who were part of that last morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    The Ugly:

The state of my bank balance, preventing me from buying any new shoes.
    I left work last week to go back to being a poor student, I really shouldn't have bought any dance shoes... but I did!

Apologies to everyone I waved my new shoes at...I was pretty pleased with them!

Thread Information