Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Donna

Southport Feb '08 - the aftermath

Wow..... What a fantastic weekend!

Got to say, I enjoyed every moment, and this has to be the best weekender I've been on yet! (I'm no longer a Southport virgin! )

Some really wicked dancers there, fantastic sets by all DJs and a fab atmosphere.

My highlight has got to be Benji and Heidi... their performance truly took my breath away. Shame it wasn't possible for me to point the remote at them, rewind.. and play them over and over again... That would knacker them out! oh, and great personalities, both on and off the dance floor. BIG

The only thing I would complain about is how slippy the floor was in the main room... apart from Sunday when I wet under my shoes. That worked a treat. Thanks benji!

Also the Latin room got too over heated at times. I could only stick it for no more than half an hour on the Friday night! phew!

Apart from that, great weekend, friendly dancers, fab music, atmosphere etc etc... what more could you ask for. Big thank you to John and Wes.

Great dance with Trampy last night who was really feeling the music. Sorry if I wasn't, but I think by that time I was too tired and ended up leaving around 11. Dance weekenders and sleep don't mix huh! I take it some of the forumites danced their feet off until 9 a.m.. and are still in the land of nod. There are only 6 people logged on this morning! I'm at work and have cocktail sticks keeping my eyes open here!

Your views?
    Last edited by Donna; 4th-February-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Re: Southport - the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post

.. apart from Sunday when I wet under my shoes.
    Wow you really did enjoy it! Sorry I missed getting a dance

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by mick s View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post

.. apart from Sunday when I wet under my shoes.
    Wow you really did enjoy it! Sorry I missed getting a dance
    I'm surprised i didn't after all the blackcurrant and water i went through! Sorry I didn't get a dance with you too. Didn't see u around after caberet. Finding someone there is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Aftermath - always find this a strange word to use - sounds apocalyptic to me! (Maybe best I don't attend in June...??! )

Well, here goes, my two pennyworth!!

Firstly a big thank you to J & W for an amazing weekend, you guys must never sleep and we are truely grateful for that!

to CJ for what were (in my opinion) the best sets of the weekend, I could not bring myself to leave the dance floor despite an overwhelming urge to shower!!

Thanking individuals always leaves me worrying I might have forgotten someone or worse still didn't know their name to start with so I continue with caution. Huge thank yous to everyone I danced with over the weekend, I had some truly awesome dances. Big for PM and Under Par, you guys are so generous with your dances. It would of course be remiss of me not to mention SnowWhite at this point too, big for persuading me to come after all and organising my ticket - and of course for sorting everything from transport to chalet's.

Trouble, Steve says a big thank you for his dances with you too.

Here's looking forward to September (don't mention June to me, it's a sore point!!)

HF xx

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post
    Aftermath - always find this a strange word to use - sounds apocalyptic to me!
    Well there are almost certainly a few people with aching limbs and suffering from severe lack of sleep...
    Love dance, will travel

Re: Southport - Feb 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back ............. very tired ............ feet ache .......... knees ache ..........eyes tired

Thanks to Lory for keeping me away on the last leg on the journey - you can never find a layby when you need one !!

I danced my little Minnie Mouse socks off ........ my fave dance was with Tiger Feet but they were all great and memorable

Managed to get a couple with the great Dance Demon - got complimented for my dance with Stokie, was embarrassed by Dave the Scaffolder, and my extra special last dance with the lovely Jamie aka Peter Pan etc etc FANTASTIC

LOVED the DJ lineup, the music was awsome - the new DJ's mick s and Zebra Woman were very very worthy additions

Thank you John & Wes - I know you had your problems for this event, but you still delivered another crackin' weekend - TOTAL

Only regrets ........ didn't get to dance with Mr. Whale and Martin Harper (and John & Wes)
    Last edited by Minnie M; 4th-February-2008 at 06:09 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Thanks to Lory for keeping me away on the last leg on the journey - you can never find a layby when you need one !!
    That sounds a bit dodgy Lynda! to explain.. I rang MM to keep her AWAKE, during the last leg of her journey!

There is NO WAY I could have driven home - I didn't go to bed at all last night!

I had a fabulous weekend and once i've had some sleep, I'll post some more
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Fantastic - my best Southport so far

A full review will follow once I've had some sleep - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

I AM SPARTACUS

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    ......my fave dance was with Tiger Feet....
    FEET

sorry Charlie, I meant PANTS well nearly the same

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    That sounds a bit dodgy Lynda! to explain.. I rang MM to keep her AWAKE, during the last leg of her journey
    I think I need some sleep
    Last edited by Minnie M; 4th-February-2008 at 06:27 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Fantastic weekend!! to tired and sore to say anything more coherent at this point!

totally awesome.

the best one ever.

highlights

been the first person dancing on Friday (some thing never change)

Not been cold, keeping the doors shut, and having a new dance floor where the tables and chairs were.

seeing so many people I haven't see in ages.

Simian Sellman for letting me a pain in the Apse!

Paul Warden, for so many dances and help with my WCS.

Tiger Pants turning up unexpectedly.

James McKloclan, and gang, Fab showcase, and just such fun all weekend

Helen, Mark Burn's girl friend's face change with each dance, you looked fab honey, and thank you all the leads that I asked that danced with her.

all the DJ'S didn't hear a bad set, and loads of handbag dances.

John, for been amazing, and making a young man's weekend, your a spot on guy, you know why. xx

My slaves

Elliot for making it in the end.

all the truly wonderful dances.

Watching Trampy lead Jamie early Sunday evening, and Killing Time for 'that tango dance' Sunday afternoon with Jamie

Gerry for been the most wonderful man, and understanding, 'Fletch' and not trying to change me once.

Looking around at the end on Sunday to see so many special people that have been brought together, by one common factor, ME.

Not so good bits.

Beji and Heidi, I don't care how good they are, in my book they have bad manners. manners cost nothing, so don't worry Benji using them wouldn't have eaten into you wealth, as he was keen to tell us he was rich, I would have thought he would be in the know that money doesn't make you rich! I think he might have thought we were all poor, as the accommodation wasn't to the same standard as the USA. Not difficult to see why he hasn't got a girl Freind.
    my suggestion to him take a leaf out of Jordan and Roberts book.

not so good bits

The heat in the main room early on Friday.

realising this was the last Southport with Jamie. too many shed.

I'm sure I have missed loads, i'm not thinking sraight at the moment and off to work
    Last edited by ducasi; 5th-February-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: naming & shaming

My third Southport and my favourite so far. Fantastic people, fab funky music and soooooooooooooooo many great dances - particularly last night, although dancing until 5.30am Sat, 7.15am Sun and 7.35am Mon means I am now absolutely shattered and MY FEET HURT (this morning I had to keep dancing as it hurt less than walking and I didn't want to sit down for long) - well worth the pain and the tiredness though.

Best one yet by far!will post more when i can string some decent sentences together!

good weekend!

Big thanks to.........

Trouble, Dave, Mel, Woodface, Clare, yliander, HelenB, eeyor, DD, Martin harper And My partner lauren ofc.
    (I have missed a few ppl out becos im so stupid and i have forgoten their forum names/names! i shuda slept more sorry!)

Fabulious dance's you guys make the weekend worth going!

P.s i sorta learned the shim sham wooo! haha

I have been back at home for over an hour and can't sleep so I thought I eould post my review of Southport.

The Good:

The atmosphere at this Southport has been one of the most electric I have been to.

Saturday night was by far the best night dancing I have ever had

I felt that my WCS really took a turn for the better this weekend, woo-hoo!

My fab unexpected chalet mates - Thank you so much to Killingtime and HelenB for allowing me to come share and making it such a mad weekend!!

The temporary floor in the Blues Room - good call John and Wes!!

The Irish Dancing classes - while everyone else was experiencing the might that is Benji and Heidi - I decided to be different and do the Irish Dancing classes and I am so glad that I did because they were a hoot!!!
    Childhood memories came flooding back very quickly - especially regarding my dead straight hair!!

Being mothered by Wonder Woman and the Passion Harem who put on a grand spread for dinner on saturday - thank you.

Even the weather held out for us - It was cold but it stayed dry the whole weekend.

The Bad

The Blues Room being overcrowded - especially saturday night

The floors were very slippy - I liked them this way but I know a lot of people found them too slippy.

Missing the Line Dancing class due to exhaustion - Apparently the 'nine-to-five' routine was an absolute hoot!

The Ugly

My dancing on sunday night due to my legs deciding to revolt.

The fact that I can now fit my weekly shopping under my eyes!!

The 5000 word that I now have to write before friday!!

And the highlight of the weekend:

I AM SPARTACUS!!!

Oh yeah and I got to dance to Mercy

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Had a great weekend. Sharing with special friends made a huge difference, perfect chalet mates and some great laughs.
    LOL
    Apologies to my neighbours.
    Dancing in the main room for the majority of the weekend certainly restored my 'Mojo'! I felt such a rush flying around at break neck speed, reminded me of why I used to love it so much. It was unfortunate that Benji and Heidi were so different to the previous stars employed by JA. 'Up their own arses' springs to mind! But their cabarets were awesome.
    I only had one 'not great dance' all weekend forced upon me by Fletch! I'm planning my revenge as we speak Fletch!
    My favourite DJ this weekend was definately Richard Van Dyke (I think his mum liked Mary Poppins ) Hope we see him more and it would be great if he got some prime evening slots in the blues room.
    Respect to John and Wes for coping with the problems that came up this weekend. You guys make Southport the best weekender there is by giving it the personal touch.

Stuff it,il post mine now. What can i stay,Think it was my fifth southport and by the far the best for me!

The Good

All of the caberets esp. Benji and Heidis. Seen it so many times on you tube didnt quite believe it was happening in front of me!

The extension in the blues room. I know how intimidating most people find the blues room when they first go to southport, Not only did this create more space but i felt it was somewhere you could go and not feel like you are being watched by onlookers from the bar. I wonder if j and w are gonna have it there with the marque as well in summer, ther shud be loadsa room then.

The west coast swing sets in the dance den. A lot of people were worried this would change the dynamics of the blues room, losing good dancers etc. But i found there was still always enough dancers in the blues room when the sets were on. Iv normally been one for spending as much time as possible in the blues room as i dont get to dance to that kind of music much. But the atmosphere around 2ish each nite was so good i couldnt leave! Nice to see so many guys get the chance to follow!

And finally the dances!Fab leads and follows. Special shouts have to go to cruella, lory, foxylady,zara. Not forgetting the jamie experience!And of course the trampy fivesome!

The Bad

Dont really like this heading as the good outweighs it so much.

I have to agree with Fletch, I dont know if its because they are used to teaching a higher level in U.S but they were quite patronising about the level of dancers in their classes.

Think thats all really, time for some well needed rest!

ooh, hats off to all the djs, esp sheepman, who imho did a fab job of keeping the energy going on the last nite.

Whoops bit of an essay!

Nick

I had a great time at Southport, as always.

The good
    • My great chalet mate, Ellie, who is also fab to dance with!
    • Benji and Heidi's WCS beginners lesson. (The only lesson I did )
    • Phil (Jiver?), Cornish pixie, Jonnyman and Graham leclerc helping me with my WCS, to you guys, it must have been painful!! Although, at least I can get through a track now .
    • Fantastic dances with Lazy Dave, Elliott, Jamie, my new discovery Cornish Pixie and of course Trampy.
    The bad
    • The fact it was Jamies last Southport and I wont get a dance with him again until May
    The Ugly
    • Our chalet was FREEZING!! I spent a fortune on heating trying to warm the place up. I should have taken Lorys advice about extra blankets and a hot water bottle.
    xxx

Thread Information