Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many times a night is enough for you?

Re: How many times a night is enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    I notice no women have yet posted boasting of 50 + nights - why is that? Is it the old gender imbalance again? Why is it that so many women attend without partners (who are left at home), is it the same for men? If more women persuaded reluctant partners to come wouldn't the gender imbalance improve and I would have more beginners to dance with!
    I suspect that most women who dance who have partners who don't have tried to persuade them along at some point and the partners didn't like it, so for the sake of their relationship they are happy to leave them at home! And possibly they like having a hobby they do themselves, and don't feel the need to do something with their partner all the time. And presumably there must be some guys who are in the same position. Has a poll been done on this?

I know that although Beo has started dancing again, there will be times when I go without him because I simply enjoy it more than he does. I'll be leaving him at home playing World of Warcraft whilst I go out and have fun dancing

As for the subject of a thread, I can't say I've ever counted, or really thought about it. I probably dance on average every other dance, or every third one on a quieter night. And it's definitely quality over quantity for me too. I think that I expend more energy than a lot of my leads (particularly if I get spun a lot), and so I find I need to rest more between dances... probably also to do with my levels of fitness and age

I certainly wouldn't be aiming to dance every dance - after about 3 consecutive dances I can't cope with any more and need a breather! I also like watching, and if there's a quieter area, chatting to people too (if I can hear them).

I aim to dance to every track, but generally have to miss one every now & again to do stuff. If I can be, I tend to be there from the first track to the last. So I guess I dance about 20ish tracks on a class night and 60ish on a freestyle night.

I can dance for hours, non-stop. But run for 30 seconds to catch a bus/child and I'm knackered! Must try catching children to a sound-track... is there an opening in Chitty-Chitty?

Yes, and do you think about 25 for an average class night? I am going to aim for around 20 dances at my next full class night (including around 10 asks) but I am not sure I could manage 60 at a party night - unless I danced with quite a few people 2-3 times in a row.

I notice no women have yet posted boasting of 50 + nights - why is that? Is it the old gender imbalance again? Why is it that so many women attend without partners (who are left at home), is it the same for men? If more women persuaded reluctant partners to come wouldn't the gender imbalance improve and I would have more beginners to dance with!
    In my opinion, most of the ladies i know who do have a fella at home (or elsewhere) have tried to persuade them to come along dancing but they won't cos they "don't dance". I can't even get my own husband to come, which i would just love, but he's not interested. And i know there are loads of guys out there who say they used to think they couldn't dance and who do now, but they obviously decided to break out of their comfort zone and try it, and were pleasantly surprised when they did like it. There are many more not prepared to leave their CZ and no amount of persuasion, threatening, bullying or temptation will change that!

I counted at Derby, Rollerworld once and reached exactly 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I aim to dance to every track, but generally have to miss one every now & again to do stuff. If I can be, I tend to be there from the first track to the last. So I guess I dance about 20ish tracks on a class night and 60ish on a freestyle night.

I can dance for hours, non-stop. But run for 30 seconds to catch a bus/child and I'm knackered! Must try catching children to a sound-track... is there an opening in Chitty-Chitty?
    I also "aim to dance to every track" and can "dance for hours, non-stop. But run for 30 seconds to catch a bus and I'm knackered!"

The main reason for me sitting out is when I get a confidence problem and only happy to inflict my dancing on those that ask (it not my fault then if I am cr*p)

Or is the quality more important than the quantity and are 2 really fabulous dances enough to make it a good night for you?
    For me as a leader, a few fabulous dances make the evening. Most of the rest are just fillers. I suspect there is a difference for leaders and followers. Followers can dance with 10 men and more or less get a different dance with each of them and hopefully, as a consequence, not find it boring. On the other hand leaders can only lead the moves that they know, or at least the ones they can remember when actually on the dance floor. As a result they can get the feeling of having more or less the same dance over and over again (and the fact that they know what is coming next can add to that feeling).

What makes each dance different for me is if I find the music itself interesting and fitting my leading of moves to that music. In that way I find each dance different even if I am drawing from a limited number of moves. The tracks that I find musically interesting range from mainstream ceroc to swing, cha cha, blues, west coast, rock and roll. There are intersting tracks for me within each genre and also dull ones within each genre.

When you add to that the characteristics of the partner that you have for that particular dance, working around their weaknesses and utilising their strengths, then each dance becomes unique for me. Somtimes the combination is fabulous. For those one or two dances a month that hit such a sweet spot the feeling is fabulous.

Of course, there are quite a few nights where my own dancing us just pants and for reasons that I can't pin down. When I realise that I am having one of those nights I feel quite sheepish about inflicting myself upon other dancers. The first night of the recent Southport weekender my timing was so bad even my own partner didn't want to dance with me. I didn't blame her one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    ..........or at least the ones they can remember when actually on the dance floor. ...............
    When you add to that the characteristics of the partner that you have for that particular dance, working around ....... utilising their strengths, then each dance becomes unique for me. Somtimes the combination is fabulous.
    When the team works then it goes from good to fabulous. So satisfying.

I must say I have never counted how many dances I have on a night, but in Stevenage the other night I missed 3 tracks and danced for everything else.

I do tend to kick the ar*e out of it if I am in the zone.

And lately I seem to be in the zone from the very 1st dance.

The only problem is extending my 4 moves for all night dancing.

DTS Dave XXX XX
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 5th-February-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Why not

It took me until the ninth week to remember a fifth move.
    On week ten I managed six and thought I'd cracked it, "moving up to intermediate next week". Oh Dear! Back to stage one.
    When I do remember a new move, I find it can take a couple of months of practice to get it to work smoothly as the alternative leads that work/don't work are played with/eliminated from the process.

Your restraint is admirable - but how do you deal with the queue of ladies desperate to dance with you?
    Queue?

I don't tend do a lot of asking so most of my dancing comes from those that ask me - at least that's how it is at the moment. I've lost the thrill you initially get as a beginner so am inclined to dance less than I used to, but also I realise I'm there to enjoy myself so I tend do dance more with the people I know I'll enjoy dancing with .

Thread Information