Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times a night is enough for you?

Question How many times a night is enough for you?

I would be interested to know if anyone has ever worked out the average number of dances you might expect on a class night if you attended from beginning to end, and the same for a freestyle.

In an ideal world I would like to be on the floor constantly (unless the music is non-stop fast) but because I am not a very good asker and with the usual gender imbalance it is often only about 14 times a night and 4-5 of those with my partner. When we "de-brief" at the end of the evening it seems like he usually has 4-5 more dances than me (which makes me a bit jealous!). Is this par for the course or should I be demanding more, either from my partner or tackling men before they have a chance for a drink/sit down? Or is the quality more important than the quantity and are 2 really fabulous dances enough to make it a good night for you?

Re: How many times a night is enough for you?

I have no idea how many dances I do in an evening, but I'm suddenly now curious to find out!

Might be tricky to keep count though.

Quality is definitely more important for me - I don't like to dance constantly anyway.
    Last edited by Miss Flicts; 2nd-February-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    I would be interested to know if anyone has ever worked out the average number of dances you might expect on a class night if you attended from beginning to end, and the same for a freestyle.

In an ideal world I would like to be on the floor constantly (unless the music is non-stop fast) but because I am not a very good asker and with the usual gender imbalance it is often only about 14 times a night and 4-5 of those with my partner. When we "de-brief" at the end of the evening it seems like he usually has 4-5 more dances than me (which makes me a bit jealous!). Is this par for the course or should I be demanding more, either from my partner or tackling men before they have a chance for a drink/sit down? Or is the quality more important than the quantity and are 2 really fabulous dances enough to make it a good night for you?

Maybe showing my age, but quality is far more important than quantity for me.

Mainly to give me time to cool off, change shirts, have a drink (water nowadays) and maybe a chat.
    [of course if I were fortunate enough not to sweat (or be in a very well air-conditioned room - hence sweat levels in check), I would not need to do the first 2 and would dance more]

It also depends on the music for me.. If I like the music, it will have me searching the room for a suitable "victim"

The two freestyles are of about 25mins & 75mins duration here in Edinburgh.
    At an average of 4mins to a dance, I estimate I manage 25 dances to a class night. No shirt changing, till party night comes along. Then I do about 60 dances allowing for two changes.
    And I still don't want to go home.

Due to the gender balance I usually dance every track (subject to loo breaks & shirt changing) while my partner may only dance 4 out of 5 tracks. We dance together on favorite tracks and maybe every forth track. We used to dance every other track but our dancing became stale so decided to dance less with each other. On

whoops! On a normal night I guess I dance 45 to 50 dances!!

My advice is to ask more people if you feel you are not dancing enough. It becomes so much easier the more you do it. Good luck.

Yes, know I ought to ask more in order to improve my dancing but the dilemma is that the best dancers are really popular and it is rare that you can catch them off the floor (like you) so in order to dance with them you have to hijack them, sweaty and exhausted straight from their previous dance and often they look haunted and hunted which is a bit dispiriting......( Or perhaps that is just the effect I have?). I can get dances with beginners or less fabulous dancers but this does not necessarily move my dancing on. In fact I sometimes feel I am bad for beginners as I am not always sure how to to their part 100% correctly and/or I end up leading them!

BTW - 50-60 dances a night - that is impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit it does seem a lot, 4minutes a dance 15 an hour 3 or 4 hours at free style 45 to 60 dances! Can it really be that many?
    I am always pleased to dance with who ever asks me, beginners or not I hope I never give a haunted look, the hunted look sounds like fun!
    It is true that I have had to refuse a dance just so that I can go and change my shirt so sometimes I am sweaty YUK! Sorry to all partners for that.
    I dont consider myself one of the best dancers at my venue but maybe one of the fittest, but not in the looks department!

I don't keep count. I usually try to dance as much as possible if I have the energy and don't mind asking men to dance, although I used to find it really difficult. My friend has a target of 20 dances per night. Once she's reached her target she's happy to go home and gets a bit disappointed if she gets less than that before the end of the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty Jeff View Post
    Can it really be that many?
    take off your outdoor shoes and fit some latin's, makes a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Once she's reached her target she's happy to go home
    But I'm not. Make sure she grabs me by the collar (I like it rough).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    I worked out a long while ago that if I got into double figures on a class night and up to around 20 on a party night then that was *enough* for me. However, the number of dances on its own doesn't always mean that much in terms of whether it's a good night or not, as I also like to sit and watch, or chat with friends. Other factors in how much I'll dance include mood, confidence level, comfort factor and who else is there. One or two or fun dances can make my night, as can the company at the side of the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts
    Quality is definitely more important for me - I don't like to dance constantly anyway.
    Like Miss Flicts, I don't like to dance constantly and it's more important to me that I enjoy the dances I do have. This isn't necessarily related to "quality", as the enjoyment can also come from messing around or having a laugh, which can be with anyone of any standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    It also depends on the music for me.. If I like the music, it will have me searching the room for a suitable "victim"
    There are some nights when track after track is a "must dance" tune, which means if no one asks me I'm off to ask someone. If neither the track nor a partner grabs me then I'll more often than not stay put. Obviously this also affects the number of dances over the course of the night.

Bottom line is though, if I'm having a great night and enjoying my dances, I don't even think about counting!

Hi Shiny wee star,
    have we danced at Perth or Dundee?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    Dundee's party has been and gone. A success, danced with at least 90% of eligble partners.
    ~snip~
    In case anyone needs to know, here's another clue - 118.
    Ah, I think I know who you are now!
    Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    Hi Shiny wee star,
    have we danced at Perth or Dundee?
    If you are who I think you are then yes, we have danced before and in a number of places ; but, assuming I'm eligible, I was in the 10% or less you didn't dance with last night (and probably just as well for your sake, judging by some of my attempts ).

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

when i was a lot keener to dance every track, the only time i counted it up, on the way home after an MJ party night , I had danced with 52 different partners. some several times/tracks and with two shirt changes.
    and i thought it was great.

john (smile)
    Last edited by johnthehappyguy; 3rd-February-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: poor English

Tiggerbabe has just posted the Dundee party Playlist. Dundee Party ( 2nd Feb 2008) Playlist
    It confirms my guess of about 60dances on a party night and also confirms near 4minutes average track time.

Yes, and do you think about 25 for an average class night? I am going to aim for around 20 dances at my next full class night (including around 10 asks) but I am not sure I could manage 60 at a party night - unless I danced with quite a few people 2-3 times in a row.

I notice no women have yet posted boasting of 50 + nights - why is that? Is it the old gender imbalance again? Why is it that so many women attend without partners (who are left at home), is it the same for men? If more women persuaded reluctant partners to come wouldn't the gender imbalance improve and I would have more beginners to dance with!

Quality rather than quantity for me. So probably not even double figures on a class night.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Quality rather than quantity for me. So probably not even double figures on a class night.
    Your restraint is admirable - but how do you deal with the queue of ladies desperate to dance with you?

Thread Information