Thread: I have a new love in my life

I have a new love in my life

What a find... the local Kebab place is awesome.

Having suffered from many years of cr*p kebabs and curries in Aus.... [They are simply not the same!]

Went round the local kebab place, having just moved to the Gold Coast recently and "bingo" magnifico...

Still not found any curry places that even come close to the Brighton "organic, fabby takeaway" I used to use.

Of course the market diner in Brighton... yum, I do not know anywhere that does a better breakfast in the middle of the night... but then, it is the market diner!!!

The local Pizza hut is becoming more of a regular take away, mainly due to the fact that their large pizza's are ok and less than $6 (just under 2 pound 50)

Back to that kebab though... YUM

Re: I have a new love in my life

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Still not found any curry places that even come close to the Brighton "organic, fabby takeaway" I used to use.
    Why don't you make your own curry? It'll taste better than any crap you get in a takeaway AND you know exactly what's gone into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Why don't you make your own curry?
    Recipes available here.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Why don't you make your own curry? It'll taste better than any crap you get in a takeaway AND you know exactly what's gone into it.

I do, tikka massala my fave...

Sometimes though, it is sooooo good to find a good take away

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Am I the ONLY person who doesn't like curry?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    No, you're not.

nope unless its really really really mild

[QUOTE=Martin;448732]What a find... the local Kebab place is awesome.

So what is your favourite?

Kookaburra Kebab
    Kangaroo Curry
    Possum Pie
    Koala Masalla
    Wambat
    Tasmanian Devil
    Deep crust EMU
    Duck Billed Platypus

Depends how you define 'curry'. If you're talking about the stuff they produce in most Indian restaurants, then that's not really authentic. It's produced in volume with many of the same curries on a menu using the same paste/spice base. Having been fortunate to be part of an Indian family for 11 years allowed me to experience many authentic regional 'curries'. Many were vegetarian based and most were not hot as they used chutneys to add more heat if required.

My experience was therefore of delicately flavoured, aromatic dishes with each regional variation displaying subtle variations in cooking method and use of spices. I'm sure that if you had one of these, you would like it.

Mind you, I do still love a late night curry from the local curry house after a night out too - with the left overs (Bombay Aloo in particular) spread on hot buttered toast as a late morning brunch. I can't help it..

Having suffered from many years of cr*p kebabs and curries in Aus.... [They are simply not the same!]

Went round the local kebab place, having just moved to the Gold Coast recently and "bingo" magnifico...

Of course the market diner in Brighton... yum, I do not know anywhere that does a better breakfast in the middle of the night... but then, it is the market diner!!!

The local Pizza hut is becoming more of a regular take away, mainly due to the fact that their large pizza's are ok and less than $6 (just under 2 pound 50)

Back to that kebab though... YUM
    All this talk of food just makes me so hungry but im on dry toast today and eating light food due to last night's event

I love a kebab but when it comes to curries nothing beats a homemade curry!! My mum is the one who makes it and its YUM!!!

Cool Re: I have a new love in my life

Well curry is a very broad description for a huge range of dishes - hundreds. Personally I would be quite surprised if there wasn't a curry in amongst that lot somewhere that you wouldn't enjoy (sorry about the double negative)

Stokie x

When I was in London for work I went to as many curry places as possible - cos I was told that the curries were great. And they were. But I didn't think they were any better than the ones I've had at home at a restaurant. I go to restaurants where the cooks are Indian and they have the tandoor ovens, which makes the breads and tandoori lamb cutlets taste wonderful!
    I get that curry was created by the Brits and not the Indians (at least that's what I've read) so that might be why Martin's loving the British version of the curries over those made in Australia. I can only suggest going to a place where the Indians are doing the cooking - and to steer clear of the take-aways. If anything cos they're bad for your health!

[QUOTE=mick s;448838]

So what is your favourite?

Kookaburra Kebab
    Kangaroo Curry
    Possum Pie
    Koala Masalla
    Wambat
    Tasmanian Devil
    Deep crust EMU
    Duck Billed Platypus
    Seeing as you ask...

Kangaroo Curry is my favorite, cooked in a slow cooker, so the meat is ready to fall apart - YUM

I see you have Tazmanian Devil down as a potential "tasty dish"....
    I wonder what she has to say about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Mind you, I do still love a late night curry from the local curry house after a night out too - with the left overs (Bombay Aloo in particular) spread on hot buttered toast as a late morning brunch. I can't help it..
    I remember a friend who always would have leftover curry next morning.......disgusting (but the juxtaposition of cornflakes and vindaloo tickles my funny bones).

Commercial Operator

Hi Martin, I can confirm that the Kebabs you used to enjoy in Brighton are better than ever. Your local Kebab shop may have reached the standard of a Brighton Kebab from 10 years ago, but our kebabs have just got better and better*

Of course you'll still need to find somewhere to replace the Market Diner and it's MegaGutBuster.

*Just kidding, they haven't changed at all, they're still just as fab after a night dancing at Hove Town Hall
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 2nd-February-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Hi Martin, I can confirm that the Kebabs you used to enjoy in Brighton are better than ever. You local Kebab shop may have reached the standard of a Brighton Kebab from 10 years ago, but our kebabs have just got better and better*
    Tease

Of course you'll still need to find somewhere to replace the Market Diner and it's MegaGutBuster.
    I would be interested to know if anyone can claim to have found somewhere as good as the market diner, with the GutBuster ... and for the incredibly brave or very stupid.. the MegaGutBuster - of course, to make the claim, you need to have first sampled the market diner offering...

Commercial Operator

Tease

I would be interested to know if anyone can claim to have found somewhere as good as the market diner, with the GutBuster ... and for the incredibly brave or very stupid.. the MegaGutBuster - of course, to make the claim, you need to have first sampled the market diner offering...
    I can only "sample" Gut Buster - I can't even finish that one. And I've only seen one person clear his plate when they've had a MegaGutBuster - that was Steve Lampert. Even then he did leave the tomatoes "I don't like tomatoes" was his excuse. He did go on to eat more food so I do believe he has the capacity for a Mega ...

.. but could he eat two?

For those who think they can finish a MegaGutBuster, imagine one of those round trays they give you in pubs. That's the size of the plate. Then imagine it filled with bacon, black pudding, fried eggs, fried tomatoes, sausages, fried bread, chips, etc, etc.

When I go to the Market Diner I opt for Scampi in the hope that it's better for my heart.

For those who think they can finish a MegaGutBuster, imagine one of those round trays they give you in pubs. That's the size of the plate. Then imagine it filled with bacon, black pudding, fried eggs, fried tomatoes, sausages, fried bread, chips, etc, etc.
    beans, steak, burger + coffee or tea (in a mug) and buttered bread.

The normal GutBuster (from memory) has all of the above... the MegaGutBuster... simply has double portions of some of the above

When I go to the Market Diner I opt for Scampi in the hope that it's better for my heart.
    whimp

Commercial Operator

beans, steak, burger + coffee or tea (in a mug) and buttered bread.

The normal GutBuster (from memory) has all of the above... the MegaGutBuster... simply has double portions of some of the above
    I can tell what you're missing about home. Next time you're over I'll buy you a MegaGutBuster

whimp
    And, yes, I'll have the scampi

Thread Information