Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the next ice age coming ??

Re: Is the next ice age coming ??

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    told you its golbal cooling we should be worried about and not global warming
    although with all the b/s about on here i am none too sure
    The serious point I was making is whether global warming is due to CO2 (or part of a natural cycle) is itself open to debate

That will come as a shock to many but like the big bang theory you have to dig deeper for alternatives

Finding a few places around the world at any given time that are colder then average of course doesn’t dismiss global warming or the lead/prove a ice age that was a part joke

However what I found annoying is the billions spent on ‘global warming investigation’

Put that money into building flood defences in India

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    the problem we have in this country is believing our politicians and media when in 1975 newsweek reported global cooling
    now thirty years later they are reporting global warming
    Yeah, its amazing isnt it? Science advances

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

However what I found annoying is the billions spent on ‘global warming investigation’
    Why do you find this annoying? Climate has a big effect on human society so surely it is worth trying to find out more about the effect we may have on it?

Put that money into building flood defences in India
    Hm, but if we can a find a way to make the earth warm less and sea-levels rise less then we may have to build them on a lot of coastlines This might cost...more than billions

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Why do you find this annoying? Climate has a big effect on human society so surely it is worth trying to find out more about the effect we may have on it?

Hm, but if we can a find a way to make the earth warm less and sea-levels rise less then we may have to build them on a lot of coastlines This might cost...more than billions
    Read this book (or one like it)

Amazon.com: Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming: Books: Bjørn Lomborg

You then might understand that spending 250 billion over the next 20yrs reducing carbon admissions to reduce the worlds temp rise by 0.1c would be better spent elsewhere

Amazon.com: Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming: Books: Bjørn Lomborg

You then might understand that spending 250 billion over the next 20yrs reducing carbon admissions to reduce the worlds temp rise by 0.1c would be better spent elsewhere
    What are you talking about? You were criticising people investigating global warming - what is wrong with trying to find out the scale of a problem/situation that faces us? The cost-benefit of various scenarios thereafter is a different matter To be honest with you, i do question whether the repercussions of global warming will be good or bad overall. Its a huge topic covering a lot of spheres and the media does like dramatic headlines/stories so it is difficult to know what to believe... I do also sometimes wonder how these GDP figures are calculated. If america and europe become 5% richer but bangladesh is wiped off the map then i would guess in purely GDP terms this could be a positive thing as bangladesh's GDP is comparatively so low. Ok, so the bangladeshis could go somewhere else (although they wont have much choice in the above example) but where would take them on and why should they have to make the choice because of someone else's actions? Migration can be a controversial topic. Ok, so that is a bit of an extreme example but i think it illustrates the point quite well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Yeah, its amazing isnt it? Science advances
    Only for those who don't confuse it with religion.

I generally support the Lomborg view: better to ascertain the effects of global climate change and target our resources on coping with it, rather than running about like Chicken Licken trying to stop the sky falling by spending money.

Eat all the cows... problem solved.

Thread Information