Thread: Luton makes a comeback

Luton makes a comeback

I hadn't been to Luton for about 6 months, mainly due to the music (not good).

Anyway, decided to give it a go this evening - and what a great evening it was.........lo and behold, Marc was on the decks! - and played a fantastic set, which was commented on by many people I spoke to.

What a refreshing change - and I really hope it can develop over time into what it deserves to be, great nights at a brilliant venue.......

Re: Luton makes a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I hadn't been to Luton for about 6 months, mainly due to the music (not good).

Anyway, decided to give it a go this evening - and what a great evening it was.........lo and behold, Marc was on the decks! - and played a fantastic set, which was commented on by many people I spoke

What a refreshing change - and I really hope it can develop over time into what it deserves to be, great nights at a brilliant venue.......
    Marc played a fab set, I will be back next week as he is playing again. Could do will more people turning up hopefully that will improve with time. Thought having just one Taxi on duty with so many beginners was daft gave a poor impression to the new dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty Jeff View Post
    Marc played a fab set, I will be back next week as he is playing again. Could do will more people turning up hopefully that will improve with time. Thought having just one Taxi on duty with so many beginners was daft gave a poor impression to the new dancers.
    Funny when I lived in Hemel for 3yrs , Luton ceroc was about 8 miles away but I only ever went once

I really liked it as well but with Chesham/Berko etc near by and a bugger turning to over come to find the place i didnt go back

I wish it and the football team well (who I support)

I started taking my very first Ceroc steps at Luton then moved out of the area, then moved to Bedford last year - tried Luton again and really didn't enjoy myself, everything had changed so its with a kinda misty-eyed nostalgia that I will be going back there now... and the reason why....

'cause the lovely Marc (and hopefully Rachel) will be DJ'ing there every week from now on and will be teaching some lessons too! It's all gonna change again....

The sad news is though he's giving up the teaching at MK after almost 6 years there ... just goes to show where there is pleasure, there is pain, but we're sure he won't be able to resist coming back every now and then....

..and before anyone panics Marc and Rachel will still be teaching and DJ'ing at Rugby on Thursdays

...and they'll still be at Bucks on a Monday...
    ...and Berko on a Sunday....
    ...and the odd Wed they'll be at MK for a dance...

And no, I'm not their PA but I'm starting to sound like it.. lol!

And the comeback continued last night, with a solid set and fun lesson all delivered by Marc.

I slightly preferred the music from the week before - although it is marginal. I think there were a few more returnees and some new faces - and there was a good atmosphere/vibe throughout.

Just one thing: the left speaker needs fixing!

So my lovely Jivelad where and when is this Luton dance on?

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Luton is on a tuesday night - its at the Vauxhall Centre - fab venue

I used to really enjoy demo'ing for CentrAlex therelovely people

Well worth a visit tho -

NOOOO!!!!... Marc is stopping teaching at MK .

I'm going tonight, such a real shame as i think he's one of the top teachers around and with the MK venue to back him up and not forgetting the lovely Racheal, it's a winning combination - will be greatly missed.

Lloyd

You'll just have to come to Rugby instead for M and R both teaching and now also Dj'ing. I absolutely love it there for lots of reasons (e.g. floor always great, very friendly vibe, nice bar, and so on).

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    You'll just have to come to Rugby instead for M and R both teaching and now also Dj'ing. I absolutely love it there for lots of reasons (e.g. floor always great, very friendly vibe, nice bar, and so on).
    Yep, i'll have to make a trip up to Rugby once a month to get my Marc and Rach fix... hahaha
    I really like the venue there, the people are very friendly too. Just a bit far for me to travel every week.

Lloyd

I just thought I would give an update on Luton - as I went last night after a gap of a couple of months or more.

First thing, I was very pleasantly surprised to see how full it was as I entered the room towards the end of the Beginners class. (Which was equally gender balanced). So something is happening......

I enjoyed the Intermediate class led by Marc.....in particular he correctly spotted that most guys (including me) were not getting the Accordion pull thru' move.....until......he decided to turn 90% and show us from there. That worked well! A great idea for some moves - I hope other teachers could replicate that on some of the twisty arm type moves.

Then the music which was generally good - very good, including (drum roll) playing Haircut 100 'Love Plus One'........well there's more in that early 1980's vault I'm sure................great fun to dance to.

The dancing was very enjoyable in the main (the usual couple of duff tracks - eg. the instrumental (and where was Duffy? - maybe I missed it)- and the whole place had a nice vibe for me.

And.........they had air con - you could tell as soon as you were outside of the dance hall - you were hit by a wall of heat.

So - definitely worth a visit.............

I too have re-discovered Luton, after a break of about 3 years... I was surprised to see so few faces I recognised, unlike St Neots where the same regulars still seem to be going (and the choice of music makes it somewhere I don't chose to dance)

It's not quite Berko or JiveNites, but there's enough interesting music to keep me entertained, and the classes seem to strike a good balance between being useful and challenging.

One idea that I've not seen anywhere else is to use the last (throwing out) track to push the boundaries a little - last week we had a tango track, this week it was a Mariachi classic! Most people don't expect to dance to this track, so don't loose out, and those who want to play can.

(and in case anyone is tempted, they've moved venues next week, so beware!)

Sean

Thread Information