Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Atheism: your views...

Re: Atheism: your views...

Hmm. Militant atheism.

If you used the term 'militant' in other situations, what would be inferred?

Militant islam. Militant Republican (Irish, not American). Militant left-winger. Militant anti-abortionist. Militant pentecostalist.

Militant novelist. Militant pharmacologist. Militant chef. Militant economist.

Perhaps the word means different things in different circumstances. Perhaps, tellingly, it reveals more about the person saying it than the person described.

The arguments presented in the forum by those labelling Richard Dawkins as a 'militant atheist' seem to be arguments from personal dislike. It's important to look at what a person does and says when evaluating the strengths of his arguments and the positions he adopts.

I was broadly speaking in support of the miner's strike but it was very difficult to like Arthur Scargill. On the other hand, I admire Tom Cruise's acting abilities but find scientology intolerable.

Wagner seems to have been a rather nasty anti-semite, at least in later life, but that should not be brought into judgment of his music (though it may affect our appreciation of his operas, to the extent that his beliefs may be linked to the themes or lyrics).

So, whether Dawkins is a tyrant in his own home or intolerant of stupid undergraduates he is teaching or has bad body odour - none of these things (even if true) would have any place in an assessment of his arguments about religion.

My conclusion is that dislike of Richard Dawkins is what has led to the continued and insistent use of the term 'militant atheist', and not any considered examination of his writings, actions and discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Just for clarity, you haven't proven anything. You've stated that you've researched Dawkin's books, but no proof has been provided. I believe that you have read some of the output of the person you seem to detest so strongly, but you've not proved that you've done this.
    Now I know you're clutching at straws... what is it, protect an Aussie week out there?? 'You've stated that you've researched Dorkin's books, but no proof has been provided...' what would you like? How about a photo of me holding his books up? No...no... that would only prove I have them, it wouldn't prove I've read them... Ummm... how about photos of the pages where I have highlighted the content... No...no... that would only prove I've read parts of the books...

Get real. Is that really the best that you can do, accuse someone of lying just because you don't like what he says??

Hmmm... a post from someone who has taken the intellectually bankrupt route of putting me on his ignore list.. and yet, can't help himself but to post in a thread I have created and in a thread where I am the main contiributor....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Perhaps, tellingly, it reveals more about the person saying it than the person described.
    Or perhaps, tellingly, it actually just refers to atheists such as The Four Horsemen who act in a manner which has been categorized as Militant.

You'll note that if you put the term 'Militant Atheist' into google 4 of the 10 references on the opening page refer to Dawkins... Why do you think that is? Oh yes, it's because he is a militant atheist!

Good grief... He say's he is one, everyone else (who isn't Dawkins p1ssed) say's he is one and it's in general usage as a term to describe what he does.... but, hey... let's just ignore all that shall we..?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    The arguments presented in the forum by those labelling Richard Dawkins as a 'militant atheist' seem to be arguments from personal dislike....
    .....My conclusion is that dislike of Richard Dawkins is what has led to the continued and insistent use of the term 'militant atheist', and not any considered examination of his writings, actions and discourse.
    Of course how foolish of me... obviously everyone that is represented on google and in the media, personally dislike him too. It's got nothing to do with what he writes, it's got nothing to do with what he says, it's got nothing to do with how he acts....

It's all just a massive conspiracy with Dawkins as the innocent little grey haired puppet in the middle....

Now that you've pointed it out, it all seems so obvious...

Thread Information