Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The US Election thread

Re: The US Election thread

now all we need is a woman vice president!
    too much?

It took the Americans 8 years to work out what the rest of the world knew about Bush after only 2. Still, better late than never.

In the last couple of days I was looking at various blogs and youtube videos about what a bunch of complete nitwits the rank and file McCain supporters are. There's a website/blog which goes on and on about how Obama is really a close moslem fundamentalist whose aim is to destroy the USA from inside the White House; I saw a clip of a woman at a McCain rally saying how she was terrified of Obama and couldn't trust him because he was a...
    ...at which point McCain seized the microphone off her and said "No, ma'am, no. Senator Obama is a good family man and will make a fine president. I just happen to think I'll make a much better President!" (Applause.) It was a shame he couldn't reign in some of his more venomous campaigners (step forward, Sarah Palin) who took what opportunities they could to smear by association in pointing out that Obama had served on a committee with William Ayers, a guy who 40 years ago was a member of a radical organisation, other members of which had been small-time terrorists.

(I saw an excellent clip of someone railing against Sean Hannity, a rabid Fox commentator, for having people with unacceptable views on his TV show. Hannity whinged and complained that just having the people on his show didn't mean he approved of their views. Exactly, the point being that just being on a committee with Ayers doesn't mean Obama supports his views.)

...and so on.

My biggest personal relief is that we will not have to live on tenterhooks for the next four years wondering if McCain is going to have another heart attack and the world will tremble before President Palin. (Click 'view original site'.)(Oh, and leave the red phone until last...)
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 5th-November-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    It took the Americans 8 years to work out what the rest of the world knew about Bush after only 2. Still, better late than never.
    Hell, it took us 18 years to kick out the Tories...

Speaking of which:
    In the last couple of days I was looking at various blogs and youtube videos about what a bunch of complete nitwits the rank and file McCain supporters are.
    The GOP has a real chance of going into loony extremist meltdown now, in the same way the Tories did after 1997. Part of me thinks "Good, that'll teach you for the wars and stuff", but part of me also thinks that too much power without decent opposition is never healthy.

There's a website/blog which goes on and on about how Obama is really a close moslem fundamentalist whose aim is to destroy the USA from inside the White House; I saw a clip of a woman at a McCain rally saying how she was terrified of Obama and couldn't trust him because he was a...
    ...at which point McCain seized the microphone off her and said "No, ma'am, no. Senator Obama is a good family man and will make a fine president. I just happen to think I'll make a much better President!" (Applause.) It was a shame he couldn't reign in some of his more venomous campaigners (step forward, Sarah Palin) who took what opportunities they could to smear by association in pointing out that Obama had served on a committee with William Ayers, a guy who 40 years ago was a member of a radical organisation, other members of which had been small-time terrorists.
    I think, for what it's worth, McCain did a reasonable job of toning down the negativity. Bear in mind this is the Republican Party here, they go negative almost by default.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 5th-November-2008 at 12:13 PM.

An American black woman said her grandfather hadn't voted since Kennedy, but he voted for Osama.

Says it all really....

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    An American black woman said her grandfather hadn't voted since Kennedy, but he voted for Osama.

Says it all really....
    OOps I mean Obama!

OOps I mean Obama!
    I didn't even notice!
    I feel really optimistic today, well done U.S of A NEVER thought I would see this day,
    THE ABILITY TO QUOTE IS A SERVICEABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR WIT!

Quote Originally Posted by marty_baby View Post
    I heard a bit of his victory speech this morning on radio 4.... wow, what a orator! and I'm not even american!

The next couple of years will see if he can walk the walk, as well as talk the talk.

Cheers
    Martin
    I heard it as well Martin - the speech was fabulous and part of it moved me to tears. It is worth listening to.

I also thought that McCain made a very maganimous speech in defeat.

IMO, the best man won (and the better policies), but boy does he have a hard job in front of him, with no money left in the coffers and a Country desperate for political guidance.

I wish him well.

Elaine

I have to take a step back these days and wonder why I am more interested and more motivated to follow the US elections and political movements than I am the UK ones.

For some reason I find myself admiring a lot of the American ideologies and mantras. In many ways I envy some of what America enjoys - patriotism, a hightened emotional tie to their country - among others.

I just don't feel as though the UK has that same sense of involvement.

Of course, it could be that all our parties and politicians are just carbon copies of the others. Maybe we need a radical shake-up.

As for Obama, the more and more i read and watch the more hopeful I am for the future. Of course I am not naive enough to believe that he is a miracle worker. After all, I remember the excitement when Tony Blair came to power. Everyone was talking about a fresh start and new dawn. Now, many years on, we are in a huge mess.
    I have to be a realist and not believe that soon we will all be leaving our doors unlocked and living care-free but at least the possibility exists that we may be on a road to better times. More importantly this election will instill that sense of 'possibility' into ordinary people. That has to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I have to take a step back these days and wonder why I am more interested and more motivated to follow the US elections and political movements than I am the UK ones.

For some reason I find myself admiring a lot of the American ideologies and mantras. In many ways I envy some of what America enjoys - patriotism, a hightened emotional tie to their country - among others.

I just don't feel as though the UK has that same sense of involvement.

Of course, it could be that all our parties and politicians are just carbon copies of the others. Maybe we need a radical shake-up.

As for Obama, the more and more i read and watch the more hopeful I am for the future. Of course I am not naive enough to believe that he is a miracle worker. After all, I remember the excitement when Tony Blair came to power. Everyone was talking about a fresh start and new dawn. Now, many years on, we are in a huge mess.
    I have to be a realist and not believe that soon we will all be leaving our doors unlocked and living care-free but at least the possibility exists that we may be on a road to better times. More importantly this election will instill that sense of 'possibility' into ordinary people. That has to be good.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. Normally listening to American jingoism, I am totally underwhelmed, but seeing all ages, colours and creeds standing respectfully listening and hanging onto this wonderfully charismatic orator's every word, made me feel very optimistic and emotional. This country will never have that because of the racism and religious intolerance inherent across all our borders. It is very sad but very true.
    THE ABILITY TO QUOTE IS A SERVICEABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR WIT!

I have to say I think this is because of the 'Presidential' aspect; whereas we elect a party but the leader ends up in charge, they elect a person as a leader for their country.

Tony Blair was about as close as we get to having a personality up for election, but because it's not on the same scale, it doesn't get so involved and there isn't all this fuss about the individual. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not - I reserve judgement. But I do think that today's celebrity culture works to the advantage of charismatic politicians like Obama, and has worked very much to the detriment of wet dish rags like Gordon Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    I have to say I think this is because of the 'Presidential' aspect; whereas we elect a party but the leader ends up in charge, they elect a person as a leader for their country.
    I agree. Selecting a 'body' of people eliminates a lot of the inherent characteristics that come with electing an individual. Im not saying it is right or wrong, just that it is different.

I wonder if by adopting a 'debate' approach, as they do in the US, would help people identify with our potential leaders. Ok, we do have Prime Minister's questions on a weekly basis but that is different. I like the deabte idea. Not sure how it would work i.e. which leaders of which parties would debate but I still like it.

Is the next general election going to be met with such fervour and anticipation? I doubt it

Says it all really....

What, exactly, does that say?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

What, exactly, does that say?
    John S has posted some really good historical information on another thread - "Well done barak Osama - how long before racism is a dinosour?"

I wish i could move the last post on it here, but I don't know how.

When Kennedy, on a democrat ticket, was campaigning for president in 1960, he supported the Civil Rights Movement. This was led by Dr. Martin Luther King.

Kennedy reckoned he would need the black vote to win(such as it was, a lot of blacks in the south were intimidated not to vote), and he was right as he only beat Nixon by a whisker.

48 years later Osama refered in his Speech, on the day he won the Presidential election, to the past attacks on civil rights marchers in Montgomery, Birmingham and a bridge (Selma).

Some black voters have not bothered to vote since Kennedy as succeeding campaigners have never offered them anything. Segregation is still rife in the USA.

Wohoo!

7 days to go until the inauguration ceremony.

I don't know why but I have a compelling interest in U.S politics more so than British. Not sure why.

Anyway, really looking forward to next Tuesday.

Anyone else even vaguely interested?

I would even like to go to one of the inauguration parties in London but don't want to feel like a non-american outcast

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I don't know why but I have a compelling interest in U.S politics more so than British. Not sure why.
    In my case it's because the US is the Policeman or Tyrant of the world, depending on how you look at it personally.

British politics is governed by the US, we Kow Tow.

Thread Information