Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I've got a new iMac

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Help, I've got a new iMac

Ok, its out of the box and I'm on it NOW.. woo hoo

So, here's my first stupid question.. how the hell do you copy and paste something quickly

I'm used to right clicking.. Is there somewhere I can find a list of shortcuts?

Sorry in advance, I know i'm going to be a pain..
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Help, I've got a new iMac

You can turn on right-clicks in the Keyboard & Mouse panel of the System Preferences.

You can cut/copy/paste using the command key (with a funny pretzel or apple symbol on it) and 'X' to cut, 'C' to copy, and 'V' to paste.

You'll see these shortcuts on the right-hand side of entries in menus. There's lots that are fairly standard between applications.

You can find out more by typing "shortcuts" in the Finder "Help" menu...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Thanks, i'll have a go at those now!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    So, here's my first stupid question.. how the hell do you copy and paste something quickly

I'm used to right clicking.. Is there somewhere I can find a list of shortcuts?
    right clicking to copy and paste ? how could you be bothered

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    right clicking to copy and paste ? how could you be bothered
    I've never thought about it
    Next thing.. its underlining 'my many' spelling mistakes as I type but when I click on the word (right or left), the line disappears but doesn't correct it offer alternatives?

Also, I've just spoken to my brother, who informs me that 'iMovie 8' is rubbish (according to those in the know) So apple have offered a free download of iMovie 6 for us new customers.. its a bit naff, having to take a step backwards, isn't it?

Anyway, I've just d/l mine!

.. its underlining 'my many' spelling mistakes as I type but when I click on the word (right or left), the line disappears but doesn't correct it offer alternatives?
    Right clicking on a word should offer alternatives. If you haven't turned on right-clicks, control-clicking is the same thing. (If control-click is doing things that "right-click" isn't, you don't have right-clicks turned on.)

To make sure you get British spelling, rather than US, make sure that British English is at the top in the "Languages" list on the "International" control panel.

Also, I've just spoken to my brother, who informs me that 'iMovie 8' is rubbish (according to those in the know) So apple have offered a free download of iMovie 6 for us new customers.. its a bit naff, having to take a step backwards, isn't it?
    As I understand it, iMovie 8 is actually a totally new and different program to the previous iMovies. As such, it does some things better than the old ones, but it isn't as mature, and people used to the old ones miss some of the old features not yet available in the new one yet.

Hopefully iMovie 9 will have the best of both worlds when it comes out.

Commercial Operator

I've never thought about it
    Next thing.. its underlining 'my many' spelling mistakes as I type but when I click on the word (right or left), the line disappears but doesn't correct it offer alternatives?
    Is this when you're using Safari? Try right-clicking on the word, and choose Spellling & Grammer -> Show Spelling & Grammar

I really like iMovie '08 - and I think it's in many ways the better product.
    BUT
    Apple did seriously mess up with this one. The problem is that it's not an upgrade to the previous version - it's in many fundemental ways a completely different project, bearing little resemblance to the previous version, and even more stupidly, missing some features that were in the '06 one. Plus - it locks you into a way of working which, while based on some great ideas, may well not suit everyone. Many people who are used to the old one were quite rightly up in arms about the whole thing.

As a newcomer to the system though, it's worth giving the latest version a try before ditching it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Right clicking on a word should offer alternatives. If you haven't turned on right-clicks, control-clicking is the same thing. (If control-click is doing things that "right-click" isn't, you don't have right-clicks turned on.)

To make sure you get British spelling, rather than US, make sure that British English is at the top in the "Languages" list on the "International" control panel.
    Ive looked at the system preferences/mouse and it doesn't appear to offer 'enable right click' Its got lots of other options but none seemed to be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Is this when you're using Safari? Try right-clicking on the word, and choose Spellling & Grammer -> Show Spelling & Grammar
    Right clicking doesn't offer up anything, anywhere?

I really like iMovie '08 - and I think it's in many ways the better product.
    BUT
    Apple did seriously mess up with this one. The problem is that it's not an upgrade to the previous version - it's in many fundemental ways a completely different project, bearing little resemblance to the previous version, and even more stupidly, missing some features that were in the '06 one. Plus - it locks you into a way of working which, while based on some great ideas, may well not suit everyone. Many people who are used to the old one were quite rightly up in arms about the whole thing.

As a newcomer to the system though, it's worth giving the latest version a try before ditching it.
    Well, I tried importing some clips in the '08 and was thinking I' was doing something wrong as it would only let me import photo's, not movies clips.. then I've just tried with '06 and hey presto, its sooo simple!

Ive looked at the system preferences/mouse and it doesn't appear to offer 'enable right click' Its got lots of other options but none seemed to be appropriate.

Right clicking doesn't offer up anything, anywhere?
    I'm going from memory here...

In the Mouse preferences, you should see a picture of your mouse with menus attached to different parts of it. I think Apple use the terms "Primary" and "Secondary" for what is normally left and right buttons.

So, the menu attached to the right-hand side of the mouse will say "Primary something". You should change it to "Secondary something"...

Let me know if I'm still not helping...

Blog Entries

I'm You should change it to "Secondary something"...

Let me know if I'm still not helping...
    BINGO!

Commercial Operator

Well, I tried importing some clips in the '08 and was thinking I' was doing something wrong as it would only let me import photo's, not movies clips.. then I've just tried with '06 and hey presto, its sooo simple!
    Aye - well one of the daft things they seemed to have done is offer less of a range of file formats you can import. Not sensible, I admit.

Blog Entries

Grr, my movies clips, have no sound, in iMovie

I think the reason maybe cos they're shot with my little Sony T50, which (if I get this right?) save the sound on a different bit?

Anyone know a way around this?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another tip, if you want some decent office software, is to download OpenOffice:
    download: OpenOffice.org 2.3.1 Downloads

- it does all that MS Office does and more, and it's free

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Another tip, if you want some decent office software, is to download OpenOffice:
    download: OpenOffice.org 2.3.1 Downloads

- it does all that MS Office does and more, and it's free
    No, for the Mac, OpenOffice is not what you want. If you are looking for a free office package though, try NeoOffice. It's OpenOffice re-worked for the Mac.

Apple's iWork package though is much nicer.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, for the Mac, OpenOffice is not what you want. If you are looking for a free office package though, try NeoOffice. It's OpenOffice re-worked for the Mac.
    I thought OpenOffice was available for the Mac? Is it no good, then?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I thought OpenOffice was available for the Mac? Is it no good, then?
    It only runs inside X11 and doesn't have the Mac look'n'feel, doesn't use the Mac menu bar, doesn't do Mac fonts, etc, etc...

NeoOffice is much better, though I believe it uses a Java front-end. Much better, but still not great compared to Microsoft Office or Apple's iWork (which is pretty fab.)

Wikipedia has the scoop.

Commercial Operator

NeoOffice is much better, though I believe it uses a Java front-end. Much better, but still not great compared to Microsoft Office or Apple's iWork (which is pretty fab.)
    Fully agree about iWork - great package... and far, far cheaper than Office.

Oh - and your iMac should have come with a demo of it pre-installed, so you can try before you buy. If not, you can easily download the demo from the Apple site.

Thought you were talking about hair removal for a minute! Have'nt been on for awhile and wondered what had happened.

Well I have a new macbook thingy and I'm useless so I need help

Can you get msn messenger other than the web-based version ? (I don't seem to be able to download a mac version of it ?)

sorry if that's a dumb question, any help appreciated

Thread Information