Thread: Help Please: Un-syncing your Ipod

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Help Please: Un-syncing your Ipod

Can any of you techno wizards help ?

I have two ipods running off the same PC, my 3rd Gen and my daughters 4th Gen.

My ipod 'procedures' are fine, but when I connected my daughters for the first time - I opted to 'sync' it to the PC - the consequences are, every time she connects it to my PC now, it automatically downloads any music I have imported into i-tunes since she last connected. Needless to say, she doesnt necessarily want all my music tastes on her Ipod.

We thought it would not be too much of a problem as we could just delete back off her ipod what she didnt want, but it will not let us even open up her ipod to show 'her music'. Also, you cant just select tracks / albums from our library and just drag them into her ipod (the way I do with my ipod as its the quickest way), because itunes automatically goes into 'sync' mode as soon as you try and puts every bit of music that it in the library on to it.

Is there any way I can 'un-sync' her Ipod with my pc so she can just select the tracks she wants ?

We also have trouble disconnecting her ipod and never get a 'safe to disconnect' prompt so have to just unplug it anyway, which I know can cause problems.

I know you are all brilliant with helpful suggestions on these sorts of problems so wait with baited breath.

Easter Bunny

Re: Help Please: Un-syncing your Ipod

In iTunes, when the iPod is connected, you should be able to click on the iPod on the left-hand list, and get a page of options you can a "Summary" page for the iPod where you can set various options.

One of them will be manually manage iPod, another option (on the "Music" tab) is to sync only certain playlists.

If you're having further problems with the iPod (like no "safe to disconnect") you could also try the "Restore" button to reset the iPod back to as it was when it was new.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    In iTunes, when the iPod is connected, you should be able to click on the iPod on the left-hand list, and get a page of options you can a "Summary" page for the iPod where you can set various options.

One of them will be manually manage iPod, another option (on the "Music" tab) is to sync only certain playlists.

If you're having further problems with the iPod (like no "safe to disconnect") you could also try the "Restore" button to reset the iPod back to as it was when it was new.
    Thank you sooooooooooo much Ducasi - will try all.

Easter Bunny

Sorry - me back again...
    Well I have tried the above with MY Ipod connected, but under the 'summary' or 'music' tab option there is no option to manually manage ipod.

The screen that comes up is:

o Sync Music (which is highlighted and available)

but below that
    o All songs and playlists
    o Selected playlists

is not highlighted so its not allowing me to change it. At the moment 'All songs and playlists' has the dot inside the o (sorry dont know how else to put it).

Any suggestions ?

If I restore my daughters ipod - presumably that removes everything from it to start from scratch again, but bearing in mind the above - will I then be able to only transfer the tracks she wants ? or will it just recognise her opid from before and sync it to everything again ?

Easter Bunny

What kind of iPod is it? (Or are both?)

What options are available on the "Summary" page?

Restoring the iPod, I think, will mean that you get to answer the question again about whether you want to sync all the music.

You might find more help here.

Not sure if this will help coz I know its slightly different depending on versions of ipods and itunes but on my itunes when my ipod is connected there is a summary tab, (first one before you go into tab for music info) and on there you have the option to click "manually manage files"

There are 4 options -
    open itunes when this ipod is connected
    sync only checked songs and videos
    manually manage music and videos
    enable disc use

It seems that to manually transfer only certain music and videos the manually manage I need to have this bit ticked.

Not sure if this will be of any help, as haven't had my ipod long so still learning myself

What kind of iPod is it? (Or are both?)

What options are available on the "Summary" page?

Restoring the iPod, I think, will mean that you get to answer the question again about whether you want to sync all the music.

You might find more help here.
    Miy Ipod is Apple 4th Generation 20GB (I think) and my daughters' is
    APPLE iPOD VIDEO 30GB BLACK 6th Generation.

I have tried doing what both of you have suggested ("on the summary page" uncheck 'sync ipod' and check 'selected music and playlists' - but they are not highlighted to check (ie the look like a shadow or ghost), it's not giving me that option and I cant 'uncheck' the 'sync ipod' box.

Will I lose all the music on the ipod if I restore it ?

Also, for the future - could I separate my library into two - my daughter's and my music ?

Thanks you guys for taking the time to help me out.

Hmm... Do you have the latest version of iTunes? Think it's 7.6.

I think "Restoring" the iPod may remove all the music on it – but then all your music is on iTunes, so it's really only the time it takes to copy it that you'll lose.

You can set up playlists to separate your music from your daughter's. (There is a way to create two separate libraries, but it's too much hassle for what you want to do.)

Hmm... Do you have the latest version of iTunes? Think it's 7.6.

I think "Restoring" the iPod may remove all the music on it – but then all your music is on iTunes, so it's really only the time it takes to copy it that you'll lose.

You can set up playlists to separate your music from your daughter's. (There is a way to create two separate libraries, but it's too much hassle for what you want to do.)
    I think I have downloaded the latest version of itunes (sorry not on my home pc at the moment) but it didnt seem to make any difference to options available.

and
    I have tried creating playlists from the library to click and drag into her ipod and I can click and pick them up but it is not 'dropping' them into her ipod for some reason.

Well, I don't know what the problem is.

I can only suggest you refer to the Apple support web site and follow the "5 R's" troubleshooting assistant to see if that can sort out your problems.

Hope it fixes things for you.

Thread Information