Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Dance related insults!

Re: Dance related insults!

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    you always used to be the easiest person to lead that I knew.
    USED to be.....am I harder to lead now then
    S

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    I guess this could just be the case of pointing out someone who wouldn't make them feel like the worst dancer in the world if they were doing moves that some dancers might feel were better suited to the main room? Possibly also gently suggesting whilst dancing certain things they could try to do if they wanted to, and most importantly tried to put them at ease whilst they were giving it a go?
    I think it's always reassuring to have people we trust point out other dancers. We have all done it - "you MUST get a dance with them!" However we should also bear in mind that someone we consider to be a great dancer may not gel too with well with somebody else and vice versa.

I remember the first event I went to that had two rooms. The main room and the blues room. Yes that blues room was a very scary place. I was terrified. I remember sitting in there with Stokie just awe struck at how good everyone was. I was told by somebody I trusted "You must grab a dance with ***". So, based solely on these words of advice I did. I swallowed my nerves and asked for a dance. At the start of the dance I did say to them that I had been told to dance with them by **** and I was new to blues rooms. So how was that dance? The dance should have been a great experience. This caring, considerate dancer should have made me feel at ease based on my friends recommendation. Right? Wrong.

That dance was awful. He made no allowance for my newness. He didn't try to make me feel comfortable. He seemed to take delight in running rings around me to be honest. Now, I'm sure he didn't but that's how it felt. After that dance I left the blues room straight away and didn't go anywhere near it for the rest of the night. That really shook my confidence and to say I was intimidated would be an understatement.

This recommendation was based more on his 'celebrity' status than his ability to nurture a new dancer.

The same works in reverse. I was advised (by the same person) not to dance with somebody. They were a hotshot, they would refuse me. They would knock me back and I shouldn't give them the chance to. So, I never did ask that person to dance. Imagine my shock when he came and asked me to dance! Since then I have danced with him on quite a few occasions and we always have lovely dances.

What I'm trying to say is it's great to try and be supportive and encouraging to newer dancesr but we should also remember that our own personal experiences may not hold true for others.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileySue View Post
    USED to be.....am I harder to lead now then
    S
    I think I ought to have listened to Sparkles' advice!

I'm not sure I notice how easy people are to lead so much now, partly because I can better adapt what I lead to match how they follow (and I usually understand what I'm trying to lead now), but also because I seem to learn new things mostly from the more adventurous followers. I'm sure you still follow as precisely as always

Sean

Glitter Queen

I think I ought to have listened to Sparkles' advice!
    You can't say I didn't warn you...

I'm not sure I notice how easy people are to lead so much now, partly because I can better adapt what I lead to match how they follow (and I usually understand what I'm trying to lead now), but also because I seem to learn new things mostly from the more adventurous followers. I'm sure you still follow as precisely as always
    Nice recovery

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

TSH about Smiley Sue....

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to dance with you though - you always used to be the easiest person to lead that I knew.
    Wow Sue, now that's what 'i'd' what I call a great compliment!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thanks Hon, I get it now

C u for some dances after 2 more sleeps
    Sx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Fair point. But what concerns me is not her helpfully matching people up with people to dance with, so much as pointing out the ones that they should avoid!

Recommendation is one thing, but is inviting people to have details of her $hit list seems less than helpful (to say the least) when we all know that different dancers often have very different experiences of their partners
    Stoke you could never be on anybodys $hit list. Your on my top list.... (so excited its pathetic isn't it.... only two more sleeps and your mine)...well sort off. xx

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    The 'compliment' I least like after a dance is "That was fun" ...........
    I tend to say that after I have really enjoyed the dance - must have said it to you loads of times as I love dancing with you - sorry

oops that's probably the biggest compliment I give after a dance, if it wasn't fun I don't bother saying anything much other than thanks. But if it's been a great track, great dance, fun, playful, energetic then I say thanks that was fun (with a genuine smile hopefully). Usually the only subtext involved translates as being we should have lots more dances.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

This thread has shown both sides of the coin. It is wonderful to have a fearless friend to nudge you into situations that may seem to be too scary; whose presence gives you confidence. When help is requested, a guardian angel with a heart of gold (like Fletch) is most welcome. But I wouldn't want to try to formalize it in any way, including starting some sort of list, or you fall into the trap that Twirlie Bird has pointed out.
    Nothing will protect any of us from all the idiots wandering the globe. Most of us just have to grow a slightly thicker skin. But, Easily Led, couldn't you take some solace in always thinking of that particular idiot as "B.O. Guy" ?
    - V

Cool Re: Dance related insults!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I tend to say that after I have really enjoyed the dance - must have said it to you loads of times as I love dancing with you - sorry
    Yeah! I also say that when I have had an enjoyable and fun dance... all this time I could have been insulting the very dancers that I have had fun dancing with. Damn! Why can't life be simple?

Stokie

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Yeah! I also say that when I have had an enjoyable and fun dance... all this time I could have been insulting the very dancers that I have had fun dancing with. Damn! Why can't life be simple?

Stokie
    Nah, it's just Rob, he doesn't want to be thought of as a funghi.
    I think it's a compliment if someone tells me they had a fun dance with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Nah, it's just Rob, he doesn't want to be thought of as a funghi.
    I think it's a compliment if someone tells me they had a fun dance with me.
    I'm usually pleased that they managed to make it through without loss of life or limb babe

To me, the best compliment is "would you like another?"

To me, the best compliment is "would you like another?"
    I not usually brave enough to ask that unless I know the person I've been dancing with. A couple of years ago I'd really enjoyed a dance with a guy and said with a smile "would you like another" and he gave me a horrible look, said no and strutted off. That was enough to put me off asking people (other than mates) for a second dance straight after in case I get another refusal like that as it kinda wipes the memory of the good dance you just had haha.

I not usually brave enough to ask that unless I know the person I've been dancing with. A couple of years ago I'd really enjoyed a dance with a guy and said with a smile "would you like another" and he gave me a horrible look, said no and strutted off. That was enough to put me off asking people (other than mates) for a second dance straight after in case I get another refusal like that as it kinda wipes the memory of the good dance you just had haha.
    Girl, you've been dancing with all the wrong guys! Try and find me at Southport if you're going and I will multiple dance you until you beg for freedom

Girl, you've been dancing with all the wrong guys! Try and find me at Southport if you're going and I will multiple dance you until you beg for freedom

haha, you might regret making that offfer matey as I am going to Southport but cheers and hopefully we'll get a dance.
    Last edited by jive-vee; 31st-January-2008 at 12:48 AM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

he gave me a horrible look, said no and strutted off.
    Last time I was at Daventry, I asked someone I've danced with before to dance but he pulled a face, like he'd just stepped in dog poo.

He then went straight up to someone else and started dancing with them.

It was near the end of the evening and it ruined my night, as I was under the impression that our previously dances had been fun? ...

.... the next time I saw him, I gave a clear indication I wasn't best pleased to see him and he looked puzzled, then a bit later on, he came over and politely asked me to dance I said No thank you, (thinking, how dare he) he went to walk away but then he then turned back and asked, Have I done something to upset you?

And I said, as a matter of fact, yes....blah blah blah..

He looked mortified!! It turned out the reason he pulled 'the face' was because he really 'wanted' to dance with me but he'd actally already promised the other lady.

It was a clear misunderstanding in this case but its amazing how upsetting it can be.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I very nearly got to the point of telling someone to "f*ck off then" after another crap refusal from the same demo (not on duty/stage tonight). 6 out of the last 7 have now been refusals. I feel so loved.

Other than that Eunice & Tony's opening night at Knutsford was fab!

(then later three women went to ask me at the same time...)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I very nearly got to the point of telling someone to "f*ck off then" after another crap refusal from the same demo (not on duty/stage tonight). 6 out of the last 7 have now been refusals. I feel so loved.

Other than that Eunice & Tony's opening night at Knutsford was fab!

(then later three women went to ask me at the same time...)
    On a previous post you wrote that there are times when you are drunk and quite sweaty. Did this have any bearing on any of these refusals Steven? If not, do you have any idea why this may be happening?

Perhaps instead of "f*ck off then" you could perhaps consider saying "do you mind telling why you keep refusing me, is there something I am doing"?

...Perhaps instead of "f*ck off then" you could perhaps consider saying "do you mind telling why you keep refusing me, is there something I am doing"?
    I would not ask "Why not?". I would see that as pressurising the lady. I assume the lady refusing has a good reason, and may want to keep it to herself.

If someone refuses me i will normally just muck about and say something like "that's it you don't want to dance with me because i am a beginner you've dented my confidence now I probably will never ask another person for a dance"
    problem is i cant say stuff like that without a smile on my face

My opinion is just chill out your there to have fun take it too seriously and you wont want to go back
    Its very rare in the venues i go to that someone wont want to dance with anyone who asks and if they don't there is normally a good reason

having said that if someone told me to bugger (and not joking) off i would probably get upset as well

Thread Information