Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dance related insults!

Dance related insults!

I am not sure if there is already a thread for this but last night I politely asked some man for a dance and he said "Bugger off". I said "Sorry?" and he repeated it. He did then say he was joking! This was on a night when my dance confidence was low and I'd already had a refusal. Also there were plenty of women to choose from so I suppose he didn't care. Am I being too sensitive..........? I didn't dare ask anyone else all night!

Re: Dance related insults!

Oh baby I wish you had told me I would have introduced him to my friend, Mr foot and arse.

I danced with you last night and you was marvellous. You looked great and you moved like a Cobra stalking a small boy in the rice fields, there is a compliment in there I am sure.

Also met your man Lost Leader, another lovely mover, it was a pleasure to meet the pair of you.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

How awfull for you! What an arse***e! I find it very difficult to ask a man to dance and I think if someone was so rude to me I might have slapped him! In the six months I have been attending ceroc in and around Dundee I have never met anyone who is rude. The better the dancer the nicer the person is usually the case, but this is a much tighter-nit dance community.
    THE ABILITY TO QUOTE IS A SERVICEABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR WIT!

Hey thanks Dave (I think??). Perhaps it was your charm that bought out the snake in me ?

I tell you what you know, If you had told MIkala what had happened she would have had a word in his shell like.

From day one of my dancing she has drummed into me, and all of her classes, that a refusal better have a good reason, and "bugger off" would not have cut the mustard with Mick.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Registered User Little Black Dress's Avatar

There's absolutely NO excuse for rudeness like that. I fully accept that someone may not want to dance every dance and needs a rest -or whatever - but that's no reason to say "no" in that manner.
    You're not being oversensitive at all. He needs a good slap! (IMHO)
    Keep asking people to dance - don't let him put you off.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    you moved like a Cobra stalking a small boy in the rice fields........

DTS Dave XXX XXX
    (quietly up-dates forum profile)

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    I am not sure if there is already a thread for this but last night I politely asked some man for a dance and he said "Bugger off". I said "Sorry?" and he repeated it. He did then say he was joking! This was on a night when my dance confidence was low and I'd already had a refusal. Also there were plenty of women to choose from so I suppose he didn't care. Am I being too sensitive..........? I didn't dare ask anyone else all night!
    The man obviously had no taste and no manners. Ignore the ignorant Baboon, he is in a minority most real men would be happy to dance with you.

Gotta say "bugger off" isn't one of the best ways to refuse a dance. I could imagine it used between close friends as a retort for some other cheekiness, but otherwise, totally unnecessary.

On the more general theme of dance-related insults, you have to be careful what you say... Apparently some people think that "nice" or "lovely" are insults.

Certainly I am disappointed when I think we just had a fantastic dance to be told "that was nice."
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

(quietly up-dates forum profile)
    Laughing so much had to change my y-fronts.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

And I thought I had it bad when I got a facial scene when asking men to dance! Not too sensitive at all, can't believe somebody actually said that - twice too!. I'd say that to my very close friend who started this year, but no way would I say it to anybody else!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Certainly I am disappointed when I think we just had a fantastic dance to be told "that was nice."
    (quietly gets a thesaurus out to update vocabulary)

That's a great dance name - "Easily Led"

Surprised no one else thought of it.

I don't think you are being too sensitive, he was just being VERY insensitive.

No reflection on you at all. Hopefully you can see not everyone is like him.

Commercial Operator

Sweetie don't let that loser put you off asking people to dance. He should be ashamed of himself. It makes me so mad when people think they are too good to dance with someone. Last night the girl that pretends to be asleep was where I was and again she seemed to be very tired! I cannot beleive the rudeness of some people.

Get back out there babe. Ask, ask, ask and keep smiling.

Thanks for all the support - I did think I would be told to grow up and get real. However, I did also fantasize about Twirlie Bird, Lory and Fletch suddenly appearing at my side like Charlie's Angels and dealing with him in some appropriate way!

I might even reveal all about "Mr Column"............. one day (that was worse).

Am I being too sensitive..........? I didn't dare ask anyone else all night!
    gosh No!

we all have to refuse from time to time for whatever reason, off to the loo, etc........but there are way of saying no, there are a cople of people I don't dance with, but I have been up front and told them why.

Did I ever tell you the time I got refussed.

He looked me up and down tuned his nose up and wen't narrr! and then
    started dancing with a younger pritter modle, we had to spend a week together this summer, ooooo he made good sport, but he was a complete ANUS, I think that was his name anyway.

Well it suited him, as he is a complete A&$OLE!

the snake in me
    Top track Hun, bring it out any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Get back out there babe. Ask, ask, ask and keep smiling.

law of averages says the more you do the more you will get wrong, so it figures this will happen to all of us from time to time. doesn't meen you have to take it lying down, its a small world MJ what goes around comes around.

Thanks for all the support - I did think I would be told to grow up and get real. However, I did also fantasize about Twirlie Bird, Lory and Fletch suddenly appearing at my side like Charlie's Angels and dealing with him in some appropriate way!
    I might even reveal all about "Mr Column"............. one day (that was worse).

don't fantasize, PM me, with his discription, I love a challenge.

so do the 'Fletcherettes'

Some people do have strange senses of humour,but they need to be told about the "True words spoken in jest" perception.
    If you had reported that to "Mick" or Russ,or indeed several others there, I believe that he would have been spoken to.

there is an unwritten rule in modern jive that you dont say no to a dance
    imho i think if any lady asks me to dance i always think myself lucky (seems to happen quite a lot theses days) its a real ego trip no matter who the lady is and now matter how good a dancer she is
    Whatever happens do not under any circumstances let one idiot put you off asking for a dance or allow him to dent your confidence

Thanks for all the support - I did think I would be told to grow up and get real.
    Not in this case.

If he had respectfully refused a dance, and it had put you off asking others all evening... I would maybe say "get real" followed by words of encoragement to keep asking others.

In your case, mentioned above, I would go along with the majority here and suggest you talk to the teacher or organiser, that you were told to "bugger off" and you feel a bit upset by it.

I am sure they would "have a word" and ensure that others do not have to go through the emotions you naturally went through.

Slough just outside London but moving to High Wycombe

My first weekender i went to i had been dacing for aonly about 3 months and when dancing with a gentle man he looked at me and said "your awful, you cant dance at all" I went in to shock at this it was like OMG you just shattered my world and then he laughed and said "you didnt believe me did you" when i said yes he tried to explaine he was only joking and thought i would have known i was good and that i would have taken it as a joke. I didnt htink i was very funny and when we carried on dancing i almost fell over as i was still in shock at such a blunt comment even if it was a joke lol.

Thread Information