Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which moves do you hate?

Re: Which moves do you hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Are there any moves that everyone actually likes?
    Of course there are - every woman has one, it is just that for each one it is a different move and they aren't going to tell us which move it is . Plus ca change.

Wont stop us trying to find out though cos we love it really.

That's a lot of my repetoire trashed. Time to stand there humming instead?

More feedackfrom the ladies would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    ...However, I have found that being too vocal about moves you hate only results in certain leaders deliberately leading them!
    I find that dancing with infrequent partners I dimly recall that there was something that they did not like. I switch my body to autopilot whilst I try to wind through my memory tapes.

Meanwhile autopilot muscle memory is giving me a clue "Its this one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    The pretzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    I hate any move that messes up my hair

Daisy

(A Vain Little Flower)
    i'm with you on this one.

I hate that tuck under you arm WCS thingy, for the same reason, it lookes good when others do it, I just end up like a birds nest

Amy and Peter look fab when they do it

I would like to wear my hair up in a clip more often but been tall it allways gets knocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Anything where the guy ducks down and turns with his head at waist / crutch level of the girl and his hands behind his back.
    I love those moves!

The one where the leader gets you in front and then places their arms under your arms and you fall back being supported by their arms. Absolutely hate it coz it hurts the tops of my arms and I end up with bruises.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

What is that weird move called when the guy kinda of pushes you in front then goes behind you and queezes through your arms to the left, it is totally stupid and there is no point to it. hrmph

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash) View Post
    What is that weird move called when the guy kinda of pushes you in front then goes behind you and queezes through your arms to the left, it is totally stupid and there is no point to it. hrmph
    Tunnels?

Cool Re: Which moves do you hate?

Isn't it strange. I had to think quite hard about this because I try to move to the music rather than 'do moves'. So if there's something that I feel fits the music I will do that.... so I had to think what sort of stuff I find never seems to fit any music I dance to. The Pretzel is right up there as something I can't recall doing. The Archie Spin, oh and that move where the guy ducks and spins around to swap the follow's hand from one shoulder to another.

Being a lead it is easier, we get to select the moves, so things we don't like we just don't have to lead. I often try out new stuff and I am always eager to get feed back. There is a new little spinny flicky thing I started working out I call it "Simon" and when I asked Twirlie about it she said there was a part that sometimes took her off balance. I was able to adjust Simon by adding a small pause to allow the follow to gather themselves slightly and now Simon feels smoother, more fluid and more leadable... thanks Twirlie

As for things I love........ easy.... all the ones I use. If you want to know what they are, ask me for a dance

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Isn't it strange. I had to think quite hard about this because I try to move to the music rather than 'do moves'. So if there's something that I feel fits the music I will do that.... so I had to think what sort of stuff I find never seems to fit any music I dance to. The Pretzel is right up there as something I can't recall doing. The Archie Spin, oh and that move where the guy ducks and spins around to swap the follow's hand from one shoulder to another.

Being a lead it is easier, we get to select the moves, so things we don't like we just don't have to lead. I often try out new stuff and I am always eager to get feed back. There is a new little spinny flicky thing I started working out I call it "Simon" and when I asked Twirlie about it she said there was a part that sometimes took her off balance. I was able to adjust Simon by adding a small pause to allow the follow to gather themselves slightly and now Simon feels smoother, more fluid and more leadable... thanks Twirlie

As for things I love........ easy.... all the ones I use. If you want to know what they are, ask me for a dance
    I will do. But would I recognise you even though your from so close to where I live? Have I seen you before?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    That's a lot of my repetoire trashed. Time to stand there humming instead?
    Most of mine gone now too at least I still have my trusty Yo-yo

Glitter Queen

Anything that involves ducking or flat-backs ... I'd even rather do a side-to-side than one of those .
    However, maybe my opinion would change if I could work out how to do them properly!

Cool Re: Which moves do you hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I will do. But would I recognise you even though your from so close to where I live? Have I seen you before?
    To be honest I don't recognise you from your forum picture. But looking at your list of dance venues it is also very unlikely that we would bump into each other.

Maybe you'll be at Southport? If so, be sure to say 'hi'.
    Stokie

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    ......at least I still have my trusty Yo-yo
    Can't you leave it alone even when you are posting?

The side to side move makes me cringe and it gets even worse when you think the guy is leading you out, but infact they are just swapping places so they can do it all over again...the funny thing is guys seem to have a really proud look on there face when they perform this move...I just dont gettit!!

Equally, the 'nigel clicks' move makes me want to barf

I also dont like the kind of moves where guys tangle you up with their arms around your waist. These moves should be reserved for super slim girls or men with extra long arms, because otherwise its quite embarrassing when the guy is straining to get his arms around you

Everyone sems to hate pretzels, but although its not my fave move to follow, I really like leading it...sorry ladies!

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    The one where the leader gets you in front and then places their arms under your arms and you fall back being supported by their arms. Absolutely hate it coz it hurts the tops of my arms and I end up with bruises.
    I hate it too! I think people call it 'back drop-kick' or 'crucifix back-drop'. I also get nasty bruises from it.

I also dislike moves that involve ducking - they feel awkward and they usually look untidy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I hate it too! I think people call it 'back drop-kick' or 'crucifix back-drop'. I also get nasty bruises from it. .
    The bruises are a classic result of people being taught a move and of failing to listen to or appreciate the details. If the leader puts his forearms under your armpits on his wrists and his palms are facing each other then your armpits will be resting on the narrow, boney profile of his wrists (and give you the fear that he might graqb your breasts). If he puts his arms further along and has both of his palms facing upwards then your armpit will be resting on a wider and much fleshy part of his forearm. You cannot lower the woman so far just using your arms but it is much more comfortable for her and more of the lowering can be accomodated by the mens legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I also dislike moves that involve ducking - they feel awkward and they usually look untidy too.
    The lead for these ducking moves is often applied just too late to give the woman the idea that her arm and then her shoulder is being raised and her head needs to be ducking by a much smaller amount than is actually needed. The man also needs to lift his elbow quite a bit so that the woman doesn't need to duck her head to the point where she cannot spin and maintain balance.

I do agree that duck moves are awkward and untidy when the woman gets her head clonked by the guys elbow and, almost as important in my partners opinion, it ruins her hair.

A few years ago my partner and I did a small show which had a move that we came to know as a Skimmer. The woman spins into the man so that her back is towards him and he catches her under the armpit with his forearms. He lifts her off the floor with her in a nice pose and they both spin around for two revolutions whe she puts her left foot down and he puts her into a duck under spin and then collects her in a drop.

The group rehearsed for three days, 10 hours a day, and this move was done up to 8 times an hour. The women quickly told you if you were doing something uncomfortable or untidy.

Quite often it is the small details that make uncomfotable move comfortable. Personal asthetic choices are a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    flat-backs

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    The lead for these ducking moves is often applied just too late to give the woman the idea that her arm and then her shoulder is being raised and her head needs to be ducking by a much smaller amount than is actually needed. The man also needs to lift his elbow quite a bit so that the woman doesn't need to duck her head to the point where she cannot spin and maintain balance.
    Thinking about it, I have "found" one solution to this.

Lead the "new improved Jango open neckbreak"
    (ie you start the lady coming in as normal, but then let go, place your right hand on her right shoulder and lead her to step back. This would appear to be a very easy move for the lady to sabotage into a duck to her left using the lead's right hand as a pivot point. The benefits being,
    She's in control
    It's an aikido counter which works remarkably well against a lead who isn't co-operating so should work extremely well if they are.

I've had a number of women do this to me with no problems so far.
    Last edited by Ghost; 29th-January-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Fair enough. I haven't done that one for a good few years now myself.

But, you can always, you know, not do it, can't you? Or only dip a small amount?

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    The side to side move makes me cringe and it gets even worse when you think the guy is leading you out, but infact they are just swapping places so they can do it all over again...the funny thing is guys seem to have a really proud look on there face when they perform this move...I just dont gettit!!
    What's wrong with it, exactly?

I also dont like the kind of moves where guys tangle you up with their arms around your waist. These moves should be reserved for super slim girls or men with extra long arms, because otherwise its quite embarrassing when the guy is straining to get his arms around you
    Ah, the good old straitjacket - my speciality

Everyone sems to hate pretzels, but although its not my fave move to follow, I really like leading it...sorry ladies!
    Not everyone - they're the Marmite of MJ, it seems.

It's one of those moves you do when your coming out of beginners and trying to incorporate intermediate moves the first time. It's usually a passing phase though.

Equally, the 'nigel clicks' move makes me want to barf
    Great when you first do them but the fun soon wore off.

It's not strain. It's misleading the move or not compensating. Size has nothing to do with anything (except ariels apparantly).

I love them and now I love reverse contineous pretzels.

Thread Information