Thread: Would you fake it ?

Would you fake it ?

Keeping to forum theme this month of religion would you fake your religion to get your kids into a top performing 'faith school'.

David Cameron's fudge on faith school 'fakes' - Times Online

Would you fake your identity to get into say the met Police ? Assuming your middle class and white

Diversity / Equal opportunities - Met police considers recruitment quotas - 09/02/2005

If your a women would you dress as a man to get into southport ?

'Southport Jive women dresses as a man, women dancers shocked as 'He' told me they were melons Daily star reports

Re: Would you fake it ?

All of my kids went to church group every week until they went to full time school.

It was free and I got tea, biscuits and gossip every week, while the kids left me alone for a few hours and learnt about God.

I wan't about to shout from the roof tops "Your're all a bunch or deluded fruitcakes and God is about as real as Father Christmas"

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I wan't about to shout from the roof tops "Your're all a bunch or deluded fruitcakes and God is about as real as Father Christmas"
    Well obviously. For one thing it's hard work getting onto the roof.

Blog Entries

yes absolutely would and have.

Both my boys are in catholic school (which has better results than privates around loughton) and i became catholic.

I got them in, no longer attend.

All hypocrits anyway.

Absolutely. I decided to find the best school in the area and if that was a Catholic School, I would suddenly have become incredibly devout. Thankfully, the local Catholic school is not the best. Phew.

Has anyone seen that 'Extras' episode with Kate Winslett as the dirty talking nun? In it Ricky Gervais pretends to be Catholic to impress a girl and it results in one of the most excrutiatingly embarassing scenes I've ever witnessed on TV where the priest 'outs' him in a prayer meeting. Well worth a look.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Has anyone seen that 'Extras' episode with Kate Winslett as the dirty talking nun? In it Ricky Gervais pretends to be Catholic to impress a girl and it results in one of the most excrutiatingly embarassing scenes I've ever witnessed on TV where the priest 'outs' him in a prayer meeting. Well worth a look.
    absolutely, so so embarassing but you cant help watch it even tho your cringing with him. Fantastic writing and acting.

I would probably think of faking my religion to get my kids into a better school but I wouldn't go any further than 'thinking' about it. Having married into a Catholic family I know that I couldn't fake it for one minute, partly because I don't believe but mainly because I come a cropper whenever I set foot in a Catholic church (which has been too often for my comfort in the past ten years). They have so many rituals and stuff I just don't get it all.

Noel has to give me swift lessons whenever we have to go and he has to do the 'interpret the bible stories' thing with the kids when they come home from school and ask questions - I haven't a clue. Having been educated by nuns in an Irish Catholic Community Noel knows LOADS! He tells a mean bible story - especially the 12 Stations of the Cross!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss View Post
    ...because I come a cropper whenever I set foot in a Catholic church....
    hmmm - bit like the time you told me that there was no way that Mary was a virgin? You would get stoned in some countries for what you said (and I don't mean high).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I would probably think of faking my religion to get my kids into a better school but I wouldn't go any further than 'thinking' about it.
    I wouldn't have an issue in principle on pretending to be of another faith, who's to say what your beliefs are form day to day ? The whole idea of faith schools is wrong though and they should be abolished, but the structure of them is in many ways better than non-faith schools, there needs to be a big improvement generally.

As for the other article - positive discrimination is evil. Why should we care that there are only so many blacks, females or gays in certain posts? As long as the opportunities are truly open to all, education is open to all and pay scales at least try to be consistent, then it will sort itself out over time. Take ANY physical feature and you'll find that feature is underrepresented in some jobs whether its red hair, a big nose or ear hair Why are some characteristics worth bothering about and others not ? I think there are not enough red heads in parliament compared to the ratio of the general population

Glitter Queen

I couldn't and wouldn't pretend to be Catholic to get my kids into a better school (not that I have any).
    For one thing I have an irrational fear of churches and go to pieces at family weddings etc. so I couldn't go and sit in a church every week! And for another I don't think that children should be taught a specific religion in school, and would not want my children being taught to believe in something without being given the freedom to make their own decision. They should be taught about the religions of the world in a non-biased way certainly, but not taught to believe one in particular. If parents wish their children to learn about their religion I think they should take them to special classes, Sunday school etc. out of normal school hours.

I agree with DS that
    The whole idea of faith schools is wrong though and they should be abolished, but the structure of them is in many ways better than non-faith schools, there needs to be a big improvement generally.
    - and if all parents (especially those with brighter youngsters) take their children to faith schools out of preference then the faith schools will always have better results and therefore be higher in the league tables and so will be more sought-after by parents.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would probably think of faking my religion to get my kids into a better school but I wouldn't go any further than 'thinking' about it.
    I read another article over the weekend, basically it said "Why does it matter what religion the parents are? If you send your child to a faith school - any child - surely that's an explicit agreement to let your child be brought up in that faith? And surely that's a Good Thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I couldn't and wouldn't pretend to be Catholic to get my kids into a better school (not that I have any).
    For one thing I have an irrational fear of churches and go to pieces at family weddings etc. so I couldn't go and sit in a church every week! And for another I don't think that children should be taught a specific religion in school, and would not want my children being taught to believe in something without being given the freedom to make their own decision. They should be taught about the religions of the world in a non-biased way certainly, but not taught to believe one in particular. If parents wish their children to learn about their religion I think they should take them to special classes, Sunday school etc. out of normal school hours.
    I think the idea is the results are better at faith schools so Jonny gets 7 'o' levels rather then '1' and it better educated when making claim benifits ?

Not sure re the going to church once a week has anything to do with it ?

As mention before its not about parents wishing their children to learn religion but getting them a better education

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    The whole idea of faith schools is wrong though and they should be abolished, but the structure of them is in many ways better than non-faith schools, there needs to be a big improvement generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    And for another I don't think that children should be taught a specific religion in school, and would not want my children being taught to believe in something without being given the freedom to make their own decision. They should be taught about the religions of the world in a non-biased way certainly, but not taught to believe one in particular. If parents wish their children to learn about their religion I think they should take them to special classes, Sunday school etc. out of normal school hours.

Agree totally with both those points. Religion has no place in a state-funded education system. It should be secular IMO. Religion should be left up to the individual to decide upon.

Government seems to think that parents want this thing called “choice” with regard to their children’s education. Well if I were a parent, the only choice I’d want is to be able to send my child to a decent school. That’s all. Whilst we have this idea that parents can chose, all it means is that those with enough money to move/get their child into a religious school or other gimmicks, will be able to hog the education system. Those who can’t afford to move (or aren’t allowed to as they are in housing association or council accommodation) will lose out. And so the status quo of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer will abide.

Slight tangent, but it’s been in the news recently and it’s about education – I also think that public schools should lose their charitable status. In theory, I have no problem with those who can afford it paying for their children’s education – but I don’t see why these schools have charitable status when really they are a not-for-profit business. Make them pay their taxes as any other business would.

Uhm… now where’s my [rant off/] button

I tried faking it during my first three months of MJ.
    But my partners knew instantly that I couldn't dance.
    No pulling the wool over the fair sex's eyes.

Thread Information