Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chemistry between dancers - is it innate or can it be created?

Re: Chemistry between dancers - is it innate or can it be created?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    So what's the attraction for the ugly women?
    they get to dance with us gorgeous guys

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Do you have to (on some level) actually have to vaguely fancy the person you're dancing with to have true chemistry with them?
    No, I don't think so. I think there probably has to be some emotional link, but this could be the emotions of blood relations or of close friends or even of competitors, rather than fancying each other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    UGLY?

NOT EMPTIED YOUR LOVE PLUMS INTO A GORGEOUS LADY RECENTLY?

CEROC CAN CHANGE ALL THAT

"CEROC...BETTER THAN ROHYPNOL"
    I cant rep as i repped you the other day you but i must say, have not laughed so much in ages xx

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I don't believe you have to be sexually attracted to the person you're dancing with to have good dancing chemistry, for example. I came second in the Open Blues Champs which were held at Breeze - October 2007 with drathzel and I had no sexual feelings for her...
    You don't think you were placed simply because you were two excellent dancers dancing together ( effectively what would have been expected if you put the parts together ).

That seemed to be quite clearly the case for the third ranked couple.

So if you define chemistry as beyond the sum of the parts you wouldn't need it to place, though you might need it to place far beyond your individual rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    they get to dance with us gorgeous guys
    That'll be it then ......

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I don't believe you have to be sexually attracted to the person you're dancing with to have good dancing chemistry, for example. I came second in the Open Blues Champs which were held at Breeze - October 2007 with drathzel and I had no sexual feelings for her, I can't speak for her, but she's very happy with where she is in life at the moment (in regards to her and her bloke) and I definately am not her type.
    You and Drathzel appeared to have a lot of sexual chemistry in the Blues comp and IMO, if you danced as if you were'nt sexually interested in one other there would have been something fundamental missing. You are obviously very good at acting! As others have mentioned, acting is a big part of dancing, especially in competitions, as emotions, that you may not neccasarily feel, come across to an audience and judges really well.

I am fortunate enough to feel a connection with someone on the dancefloor quite often. But chemistry for me is probably a step further and blurs boundries between a dance and lust (unless of course your acting). I completely understand the confusion that Twirly bird spoke of. Dancing chemistry drives people a little nuts! I often find myself looking at people I never would 'in the real world'!

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Personally I think that the dance is a performance - an act. Flirting, dramatising and generating some chemistry between partners is part of it. And as with most great acting, subtlty is what makes it spark/sparkle.

If you ham it up too much, it looks hammed up and fake - a pantomime. If you subtaly seduce and entice your partner, it generates chemistry rather than indifference. Most of it is paying attention to your partner, or keeping their attention on you. If you can do this with a smile, then you are well on the way towards having a good chemistry on the dance floor

If you "connect" with your partner as well as having chemistry, then you have a brilliant dance floor coupling.

Ooooh an old 2003 thread ...
    Injecting a little passion
    and I've also got this:
    Online workshop: Sensual Dancing
    One of my favourite dance partners when I did ballroom comps was homosexual - he was such a great dancer, and we had really good chemistry. The dance is a performance, and we were comfortable together on and off the dancefloor.
    Chemistry can come from the love of dancing, as well it is a performance so you need to be able to act out the dance as well. He used to pretend I was someone he loved and I used to pretend the same. Apparently it worked well as a performance to those watching - my coaches and the judges seemed happy enough with it

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    One of my favourite dance partners when I did ballroom comps was homosexual - he was such a great dancer, and we had really good chemistry. The dance is a performance, and we were comfortable together on and off the dancefloor.
    Chemistry can come from the love of dancing, as well it is a performance so you need to be able to act out the dance as well. He used to pretend I was someone he loved and I used to pretend the same. Apparently it worked well as a performance to those watching - my coaches and the judges seemed happy enough with it
    I wonder if the fact that he was gay meant that the pretence was easier as it was safe? There was no way that the acting could accidentally spill over into reality.

Talking about this acting element of the chemistry between dance partners (well, competition partners at least), I wonder what the potential is for something more to develop? After all, aren't Hollywood actors and actresses always supposed to be getting it together due to working in close proximity and having to portray intimacy?

I also wonder if dance partners aren't acting but feel some sort of dance chemistry, how obvious it is to those watching?

Every time I dance I try to make my partner the focus of my attention where everything I do is for them. To put it another way, I fall in love every 3 mins. That's where the 'connection' comes from.

Chemistry to me is something more primal - it's how close to your personal space you feel comfortable with your partner; both in terms of them next to you and you next to them. The more you can lower these barriers, then the more chemistry you will have.

Chemistry without the {fake?} 'love' element tends to lead towards "slease" or "perv" and can make your partner uncomfortable - for this, it's a lowest common denominator thing.

so, can same sex dance partners have all thats been mentioned above or is that another type of acting skill required? I am of course assumimg that the dance partners are not a couple as such.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jemessex View Post
    so, can same sex dance partners have all thats been mentioned above or is that another type of acting skill required? I am of course assumimg that the dance partners are not a couple as such.
    I'd say these guys have got it....

(or they're just stunningly good actors)

should have worded it...so as to read 'has anyone had personal experience'

Commercial Operator

should have worded it...so as to read 'has anyone had personal experience'
    Come to think of it, yes, and yes.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I dont think you need sexual chemisty to have good connection with a dancer.

I have had real good dances with people who I would never fancy, old lady's, men etc and had good dance chemistry with them.

It's not always easy to recreate. Some of my most amazing ever dances have been with people who, when I have danced with them again, I found it rubbish. Then again I know I will always have a few good dances with a few certain people.

The music that is playing during a dance has a big effect too. I could never have a good dance to Spanish Guitar or the Bongo song, no matter how much chemistry there was between me and the ither dancer.

Some clips of me and Jamie and me and Gav to prove the connection and men with men thing mentioned above.

Neither show great connection but have had some pretty connected dances with Jamie at times.

YouTube - Me and Jamie Ceroc

( I know people will prob moan about ariels on the dance floor but there was some girls watching so that makes it ok!)

YouTube - woodface and Gav Modern Jive Southport June 07

Aye aye I have had some cracking dances with CJ, Onkar, Under Par, Vegetable, Andy Mcgregor, Lee Bartholomew, Jamie and a whole host of men with real dance connection and chemistry and enjoyed every minute of them.

It is only dancing and the trick of it is to lose yourself in the dance with whatever partner you are dancing with.

I have also had excellent connection with loads of women .

Sometimes there is no connection and you just make the best of the dance at hand.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

great to hear.
    hopefully some of the sceptics from around this area are reading this and perhaps start to understand that its alright and same sex couples (especially male) and female lead/male follow can still have a dance chemistry on a par with male/female couples

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I wonder if the fact that he was gay meant that the pretence was easier as it was safe? There was no way that the acting could accidentally spill over into reality.
    And the same in reverse, if 'real' chemistry is felt but its inappropriate, too young or married for example. I think people can 'act' themselves out of it too!

A lot of people ( I used to too) worry that 'others' (onlookers) will misinterpret the situation, which I suspect happens all too often people hold back and never allow themselves to fully connect, which is a shame really!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

Thanks for re posting this clip, its one of my all time favourites .. the guy laughing in the background cracks me up everytime!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    A lot of people ( I used to too) worry that 'others' (onlookers) will misinterpret the situation, which I suspect happens all too often people hold back and never allow themselves to fully connect, which is a shame really!
    I do still worry about what onlookers think watching me and especially when I've had some amazing connected dances (although I must admit some of the best dances that I've had I felt that the connection was only known to me and my partner)

I also worry that they see me "playing" with some people and then expect the same when I dance with them. It's only the dancers that I trust fully and/or have an instant connection with that I fully relax with (but give me a dance or two more... )

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

yep that looks pretty awesome and they are both dancing like blokes and with great connection

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    :I also worry that they see me "playing" with some people and then expect the same when I dance with them.
    Thats a very good point!!!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information