Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should you use intermediate moves on beginners?

Re: Should you use intermediate moves on beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Lost me at manhatten
    You take Manhatten.

I will have Statton Island and Jamesy can take the Bronxs.

Bada boom Bada boom

Dts Dave XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    You take Manhatten.

I will have Statton Island and Jamesy can take the Bronxs.
    Does this mean we're invading America? We should beat the Americans easily - all their armed forces are in Iraq!

I claim California. When we kick Schwarzenegger out and I become its new absolute ruler, I'll change its name to Baruchia and make it compulsory to dance Modern Jive every Tuesday.

Mwahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa.....

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    P.S. I'm also intrigued about these cross body leads.
    Huh. I thought everyone did them.

Seriously, I just assumed I was behind the learning curve like always, and everyone else was using them as a matter of course. Maybe it's like Jango or WCS - everyone talks about it, almost no-one actually does it...

Keith at Revolution dance puts them into every routine I've ever learned from him, although I've not been able to lead them in freestyle.
    It's a bit tricky to explain in words - like all these things. You might be best off going to a cross-body-salsa class, the technique is covered there and it transfers across (eventually, in my case) quite smoothly.

Also, if you're leading the follower forward in a manhattan, is your weight not on your right foot, making stepping to the right difficult?
    Um, well, with the caveat above, then briefly, when I step back on right, I make it diagonally to the right hand side to allow the follower to step straight forwards in a slot.

At the moment, I also rotate my body antii-clockwise sometimes - evn to the point of not stepping back at all on the right - but this is a tango body-lead style thing. Another, more salsa-y style variation would be is not to rotate at all until the follower is level, to accentuate the turn point, but then it's difficult to provide a body lead. Different strokes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    A taxi dancer at a venue recently told me that they were, um, told off in public for using intermediate moves on a beginner.

So should intermediate moves be used on (complete) beginners, even if you know they would cope with it, even if to just give them a taster?
    I have a big problem with "intermediate" dancers leading raw (ie one,two or three weeks) beginners into intermediate moves, what tends to happen in my experience as a taxi is that the beginner often leaves and never comes back due to what was growing confidence being reduced to shreds because they then feel they will never get the dance.
    Secondly in the first and second week a beginner can be flooded with new stuff which also stops them from coming (oh and its in the taxi rules that you Dont do it so thats another reason against)

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Depends what the "intermediate" moves are.

I occasionally see people "teaching" beginners drops and lifts which are way too advanced for them, but they are too inexperienced to know. If it were my venue, and one of my taxis doing it, I'd sack them.
    When an intermediate dancer who trys to drop a raw beginner it normally means they havent learned how to drop properly and in a safe manner because if they had they would know that a beginner hasnt the necessary knowledge to drop without hurting themselves
    One of my comments in the beginners review that i take is to tell the beginners if someone asks you to dance say yes but beginners moves only please
    that normally sorts it out

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Blimey, we should change your tagline to "rumour-monger"
    How do you change your tagline anyways?

On a related topic, should taxis dance the beginner moves 'by the Book' or is a little creative freedom acceptable? E.g. changing the timing slightly, throwing in a little left handed comb etc.
    I was always told to do it by the book if like a preprogrammed robot. No style. No nothing. It's the backbones to the moves that we were supposed to get accross. But that never stopped me from using intermediate moves on beginners if I knew they could handle it.

But more often that not when dancing with beginners, I'll do the routine a couple times through. Then if they get that then I'll switch the order of the same rountine's move so they don't anticipate a set routine. Then if they handle that, then I'll start doing other beginners moves first then ove on to simpler intermediate moves.

But sometimes I think what the hell and ignore that (yes, shoot me with a stick).

You should only lead moves on a follower that you think the follower can follow. :shrug: If they are not following or feel lost/confused* when following then the lead is not leading properly (either moves or technique).

{*in a bad way, ie not the standard 'dazed' look followers have when dancing with me }

As to whether Taxis should just stick to the routine/moves with beginners (in freestyle), I think that it depends on the beginner and I would not want to take this judgement call away from them - If I didn't trust them to make this call they wouldn't be taxis.... if I were king

Thread Information