Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rat Pack 9th Feb

Re: Rat Pack 9th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    There was a general comment that there was a them /us or even a 3 way split re who attended

You said

So did you let them wonder or dance with any

Ie did the ‘groups’ mix

I assume from what was said not
    You assume incorrectly.

Lets have that quote in context:
    "DJs were fantastic under difficult circumstances. My impression was that there were three discrete camps. The musicality appreciative, the musicality aspirational and the musicality deaf. A number of beginners and musicality noobies were sat out, looking on, wondering where these people and dance style materialised from."

My main point was that the DJ's had 3 distinct camps to please and they did a very good job. The second sentence was basically describing the noobies being surprised by what they were seeing, as it was completely new to them.

In terms of mixing, I saw lots of mixing and sitting out by all people regardless of level. And lets clarify what the noobie level was whilst we are at it. An extreme example being.... I had a couple of fun dancers with a noobie lady, it was her first night dancing (not just a first freestyle). A number of the dancers had been dancing only a few weeks or months and the style of music being played was new as well.

FYI, I live 7 miles from the venue. It is my local area, I know the dancers, the music and style danced at the local venues.

That's the general stuff,.... now to specifics.
    The inference I'm a hotshot (too good to dance with noobies, won't dance outside a small circle of dance partners, yadda, blah). Yeah right!

As to dance with Jamie + 1; I danced with both of them. Not at same time tho. Did I think they were sad; No.
    Did I dance with the onlookers whilst Jamie was doing his thing? No, I was watching and enjoying the musicality being shown.

I did when the next track came on tho.

Makes me want to cry

no surprises with your response s38 how many times have I asked you to help

Now that I can almost call my self a Midlander I feel it is great that we have finally got a freestyle that goes on till 2.00pm. There is nothing worse that getting into the zone of really enjoying a night and it finishes at 11.45 or 12.00.

We were really lucky to have 3 great DJ’s now I will agree that the mix over the whole night may not have worked perfectly but it’s a learning curve and as long as there is constructive criticism changes can be made to really make it into a great event.

I hope that Mike Allsopp takes away any comments that have been made and uses them as way of improving his freestyle. There is nothing worse than making constructive comments which you know are being read and then seeing that nothings has been done about them.

On the dancing front there is only one track that I will go and hunt out a very special person to dance with, you know who you are and I think everybody else does as well.

I think if we want a good venue we need to support it in different ways, its great when some one like Fletch can get more experienced dancers to come and the locals can see different styles of dancing but the locals need to stretch there boundaries by at least asking them for a dance at different times of the evening.

Hopefully I am not called a Hotshotty even though I WCS and I would like to think that I am always approachable for a dance.

Over and out

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Now that I can almost call my self a Midlander I feel it is great that we have finally got a freestyle that goes on till 2.00pm.

I had no idea it was that bad ,up there

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Makes me want to cry
    So you should, you've been hopelessly surpassed - "crewella" is a work of genius.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Maybe they were scared of the Hotshots ?
    For FS What is it about some people, that are so jealous of a group of friends having a great time together, they have to label them as Hotshots!

When Jammie was stripping down to his underpants did you dance with 'these people' or did you think them sad ?
    Not that it matters, but Jamie removed no items of clothing, it was a fun, tongue in cheek, 'lapdance'. The whole of that end of the room seemed to be enjoying it, not just the group of friends that were together.

So did you let them wonder or dance with any
    Ie did the ‘groups’ mix...
    You assume incorrectly, I saw most of the 'Hotshots' as you would refer to them, dancing with all and sundry. I too danced with guys I'd never set eyes on before and I refused no one.

Maybe you should try asking these hotshots to dance Stewart and see how many turn you down. If they don't turn you down then you can't really call them hotshots, can you?

I had no idea it was that bad ,up there
    why do you think we go 'clubbing' after

it was nearly that bad this weekend in London

flippin hec! a four hour drive just to go to a 'club night' venue, finishing at 11.30 with lessons in- between

We off to the Green Man, Crickelwood, see you for a WCS S38 ?

or we could 'just jive'

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post

You assume incorrectly, I saw most of the 'Hotshots' as you would refer to them, dancing with all and sundry. I too danced with guys I'd never set eyes on before and I refused no one.

Maybe you should try asking these hotshots to dance Stewart and see how many turn you down. If they don't turn you down then you can't really call them hotshots, can you?
    I got a WCS scary

I could allways point out some to ask S38

For FS What is it about some people, that are so jealous of a group of friends having a great time together, they have to label them as Hotshots!

Lighten up crewelllllllllllla i didnt call you or any of the group hots hots

It was a post that i and others miss understood which has now been clarified and I apologies for the inference i made for that individual

Lighten up crewelllllllllllla i didnt call you or any of the group hots hots
    Are you saying Cruella's not good enough to be classed as a hotshot then S38?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Are you saying Cruella's not good enough to be classed as a hotshot then S38?

Not sure how many times do you have to be turned down for a dance ?

runs for cover

Cool Re: Rat Pack 9th Feb

Maybe they were scared of the Hotshots ?
    Maybe if the Midlands was better provided for they could be Hotshots themselves

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    one thing is I do remember and am gratefull to the people that took time out to help me, and still do, I just think its not all about taking if we wan't a good local freestyle there are people who would benifit from a little more help, or we can just keep travelling miles each week.
    Absolutely agree with you. There are a number of dancers who I make sure I get dances with every time we are at the same venue. They were the ones who danced with me when I was a struggling newbie. The ones who gave their time up to help me. I also try my best to get dances with at least some of the more newer dancers. I do agree it is about giving back as well.

I would love nothing more than to have regular freestyles so close to home. I absolutely hate travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    So we are all still learning, and we know now we can ask the more experienced dancers to help us improve, we just need to let the newer dancers know its OK to ask us to help them.
    I think there are very few people who would deliberately make any other dancer feel awkward or unable to ask for a dance. On Saturday not one of the more established dancers would have turned anyone down for a dance.

Ie did the ‘groups’ mix

You assume wrong then. The group that I was sat with mixed with everyone. Nobody was exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post

You assume wrong then. The group that I was sat with mixed with everyone. Nobody was exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Maybe if the Midlands was better provided for they could be Hotshots themselves

Its amazing you mention 'hotshot' and people think there talking about them

qu) was there any hot shots, from feed back I say no
    qu) was there different groups , yes but as Fletch says whats new with that ?
    qu) Did groups mix ans) yes they did

This was what was posted and I got the impression it was them and us clealry it wasnt so you can now keep kicking my head in

Quote Originally Posted by boardrider View Post
    DJs were fantastic under difficult circumstances. My impression was that there were three discrete camps. The musicality appreciative, the musicality aspirational and the musicality deaf. A number of beginners and musicality noobies were sat out, looking on, wondering where these people and dance style materialised from.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

If we wan't a sucsessful freestyle in the Midlands, perhaps when more challenging tracks come on more people could ask some of the on-lookers if they would like a dance and try to have a go, there were lots of experenced dancers there, but only dance in the Midlands and are not used to 'other' stlyes.
    Last edited by stewart38; 12th-February-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Commercial Operator

Now that I can almost call my self a Midlander I feel it is great that we have finally got a freestyle that goes on till 2.00pm. There is nothing worse that getting into the zone of really enjoying a night and it finishes at 11.45 or 12.00.
    So true. I hate having to leave so early. Why won't anyone run later I wonder.

I hope that Mike Allsopp takes away any comments that have been made and uses them as way of improving his freestyle. There is nothing worse than making constructive comments which you know are being read and then seeing that nothings has been done about them.

Again so true. Every new venture is bound to have teething problems. It's what's done with the constructive criticism that matters. If it's just going to be ignored then there will be no learning curve, nothing will change and the event will not succeed.

On the dancing front there is only one track that I will go and hunt out a very special person to dance with, you know who you are and I think everybody else does as well.

Gerry you are so quizzical. I think many of us have special songs that we want to dance with certain people to. I know I have to sometimes sprint across the dance floor to grab Stokie to stop him having to politely turn anyone down as it's one of 'our' songs.

I think if we want a good venue we need to support it in different ways, its great when some one like Fletch can get more experienced dancers to come and the locals can see different styles of dancing but the locals need to stretch there boundaries by at least asking them for a dance at different times of the evening.

I wish you would stop talking so much sense. Fletch was amazing at recruiting dances for this freestyle. I hope that this got the recognition it deserved from the management. Fletch really did help make this night what it was.

Hopefully I am not called a Hotshotty even though I WCS and I would like to think that I am always approachable for a dance.

Always approachable and always friendly.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Not sure how many times do you have to be turned down for a dance ?
    Not enough yet obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    So true. I hate having to leave so early. Why won't anyone run later I wonder.

Gerry you are so quizzical. I think many of us have special songs that we want to dance with certain people to. I know I have to sometimes sprint across the dance floor to grab Stokie to stop him having to politely turn anyone down as it's one of 'our' songs.

Fletch was amazing at recruiting dances for this freestyle. I hope that this got the recognition it deserved from the management. Fletch really did help make this night what it was.

Always approachable and always friendly.
    Decca dance in Brighton is running till 4am well done Warren its a bit far for the night

did you hear that Gerry, Stokie dosn't dance with others to 'there' tune

It took a lot of sorting and there were a lot more people asked than turned up.

I had help with lifts thank you FunyAngle and Dave for taking Ruby and Lucky home.

I keep trying

Gerry's just a nice guy isn't he, and coping with 'our lot' just

Quote Originally Posted by boardrider View Post
    {snip}
    As to dance with Jamie + 1; I danced with both of them. Not at same time tho. Did I think they were sad; No.
    Did I dance with the onlookers whilst Jamie was doing his thing? No, I was watching and enjoying the musicality being shown.
    Not that it matters, but Jamie removed no items of clothing, it was a fun, tongue in cheek, 'lapdance'. The whole of that end of the room seemed to be enjoying it, not just the group of friends that were together.
    Err I'm no hotshot - hope it hasn't come across that I am

Its amazing you mention 'hotshot' and people think there talking about them
    :
    Or maybe its just the fact that she was sitting down and not dancing and the peeps that wernt doing this have been accused of being hotshots!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Pixie View Post
    Or maybe its just the fact that she was sitting down and not dancing and the peeps that wernt doing this have been accused of being hotshots!

There is something seriously wrong when 7/8 people think their being accused of being a hotshot when there was no inference they were, why are they so defensive. CP I don’t think you ,your mother , cat , gold fish those standing/sitting dancing/ singing are hotshots , maybe your hamster for his inability to get off the wheel ??

If someone called me a hot shot id think it an honor given my lack of social and dance skills but some people for what ever reason seem to get very defensive about it even if its never inferred

So for the last time I only accussed one individual (from what he wrote and based solely on what he wrote) that it sounded like a ‘hot shot’ comment

He clearly spelt out he/it wasn’t and I apologized

I’ve not infer anyone else who was there is/are/was a hot shot

Perhaps its worthy of another thread but anyway thanks for everyone taking time out to celebrate my birthday with such style (that must make me a hot shot)

For the record ive got no problem Jamie or anyone having fun , hey ive even covered Dave the Scaffolder in bog roll in a public place if that makes me a hot shot im proud of it
    Last edited by stewart38; 13th-February-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Thread Information