Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rat Pack 9th Feb

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Rat Pack 9th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Good DJ line up, but that's Daventry prices for a small one room provincial freestyle.
    And the one on 19th April clashes with Daventry itself - which presumably means they won't have Marc and Rob at Cannock ('cos they're advertised as being at Daventry).
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Well I'm not a Daventry fan but if I have to pick from the two I know which one I will be attending. At least at Daventry I know what I'm paying good money for - at least 5 hours of Marc Foster doing what he does best.

Commercial Operator

Pics as promised. Sorry Helen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Commercial Operator

Pics as promised. Sorry Helen

Commercial Operator

Last Few. The rest will be on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
    What a brill night,

Thanks Fletch for making me feel so welcome (as you always do),
    Very proud to now be a considered a 'Fletcherette',

Your welcome honey, and i'm glade you had a good time

Welcome to the forum keep posting

Quote Originally Posted by boardrider View Post
    It was a great night.

DJs were fantastic under difficult circumstances. My impression was that there were three discrete camps. The musicality appreciative, the musicality aspirational and the musicality deaf. A number of beginners and musicality noobies were sat out, looking on, wondering where these people and dance style materialised from.

Therefore, will the musical remit stay the same or be altered for the next one? If so which way...... more bounce or more interpretive stuff.
    Good post.

IMHO it WAS a good night, and the Circumstances were difficult, and were disscussed, it wasn't an easy call for the guy's.

If we wan't a sucsessful freestyle in the Midlands, perhaps when more challenging tracks come on more people could ask some of the on-lookers if they would like a dance and try to have a go, there were lots of experenced dancers there, but only dance in the Midlands and are not used to 'other' stlyes. I do apriciate whan a track comes on we grab somone we know will give us a 'good dance' but if you wan't more good dancers localy a more giving and less selfish aproch is needed, this is a general comment and not aimed at you honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Some of the music. I love these DJ's and I had such high hopes. It should have been an awesome night. However the DJ's seemed to be a little restrained from their usual styles.

Only one room when two was advertised.

The heat in that place. Mike could have quite easily made a killing if he advertised that place as a sauna.

I would be very interested to know why there was only one room. As for future events? Well I guess that depends on the management.
    In defence of the management, I got to the venue at 6pm to eat with everyone, and there was a disscussion re, the second room, I said as it was the 1st Rat Pak and not sure how many people were coming, let the DJ's play the audiance and change the mood, the second room wasn't going to have dedicated DJ in it I hoped with us all together there wouldn't be a divide between the 'good dancers' and the 'ceroc'ers' the music was also disscussed and it was felt that if it was going to work it was about introducing new 'stuff' not scaring the life out of people, I thought the DJ's did an excellent job and got the mix right, given the mix of punters, you can't please all the people.........

and I wasn't to hot.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    after some gentle persuading

A good combination of faster music at the start finishing with the chilled stuff. Worked well. Great DJ line up.

Yeah that!

the aproch worked then lol

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    :
    I found it OK.

It was fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

Better forward planning next time maybe?

The comfy seating makes this a lovely venue -

if only they could get the smell from the kitchen under control. We moved from where we were sitting initially because of the overwhelming smell of superheated chip fryers.
    :
    Like every new venue you learn as you go along, I to hope that the teathing problem will be irorned out and the management listens to the comment and addresses them for the the second time around, after all every one is worth a second chance

It is a loverly venue.

The smell of cooking dosn't do it for me I agree.

Despite pre-booking I nearly didn't go, I was absolutely shattered on Saturday but I forced myself out of the door... and it was the best decision I've made in a long time - I had the most awesome night!!

All the dances were good - thank you guys! - the style and musicality of the majority of dancers superb, lots and lots of smiley faces and people just really enjoying themselves!

Lots of people travelled a fair distance to get there it seemed, many thanks to Fletch for posting it on the forum! I hope it is something that will remain strong rather than dwindling when the novelty wears off, and will endeavour to attend more (my folks will be wonderin' why I suddenly am so keen to spend so much time with them....)

No complaints about the music played - well done DJs - although like others I did find the chopping and changing somewhat disconcerting.

I really liked the venue for a "provincial freestyle", although those comfy chairs were becoming a problem by the end of the night - it was getting harder and harder to leave them! Good size and feel to dance floor, didn't find it sticky or slippy and it was nice to have so much space around the edges of the dancefloor to mill about. Also great to have a big bar and food - next time I might actually plan to eat there unless anyone has any bad reveiws about the food? Only gripe was it was so, so hot in there!

I too noticed there were a lot of onlookers - mostly women - not being a local dancer, were these beginners to Ceroc or had the appearance of a host of really good dancers scared them off the dancefloor? It was a shame to see them sat out, I really ought to learn to lead (as opposed to just stealing the lead from Boardrider )

All in all a great night out, well done to Mike and his team for organising it and everyone there for making the night what it was!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Molly View Post
    [snip]
    I really ought to learn to lead (as opposed to just stealing the lead from Boardrider )
    24 beats you hijacked/sabotaged me for.
    First 4 were an invite to play, then you took 4 more and I signalled I wanted the lead back and you refused, so I thought I'd practice some footwork whilst you twiddled around a bit. After 16 beats I wondered how much I looked like Fletch Handbagging on the sidelines. Still refused to give me that lead back.........
    Beat 24 and normal service was resumed, just in time to setup for the chorus. And it was loads of fun, with the asking and refusing and hinting.

A huge thank you to all of you who came on saturday for the first RAT PACK night.
    You always have teething problems on the first night,and yes they have quite rightly so been pointed out by you.
    The second room issue was discussed and we thought to give it a miss,i think it was the right decision on the night.
    Yes i did notice a few people sitting out as i think they probaly havent been dancing to long,and seeing good dancers there.
    Perhaps they need a little more help from us as FLETCH as already mentioned.
    I know mike will want a meeting with myself and maja to discuss the other issues, fans etc so we can address them.
    I must mention the effort ROB AMBRIDGE AND MARC FORSTER,put in setting the room up lighting and getting the mood right.These are so very professional guys and they got it spot on.
    I take on board the changing around with the three of us
    I have to say it was a great night,and at the end of the day people make it,and i try to say this KEEP SMILING, KEEP DANCING,KEEP ASKING.Thanks again to you all

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    If we want a sucsessful freestyle in the Midlands, perhaps when more challenging tracks come on more people could ask some of the on-lookers if they would like a dance and try to have a go, there were lots of experenced dancers there, but only dance in the Midlands and are not used to 'other' stlyes. I do apriciate whan a track comes on we grab somone we know will give us a 'good dance' but if you wan't more good dancers localy a more giving and less selfish aproch is needed, this is a general comment and not aimed at you honey.
    I hear what you are saying Fletch and huge respect yo you if you indeed do this. However I will be completely honest in saying that if a more challenging track comes on I am going to grab somebody who I know will give me a more challenging dance. Selfish? Probably. I am there for a great time to and while I am more than happy to dance with many different people and indeed I did I am not going to sacrifice my fabulous dances to help encourage and teach the locals. There are many other tracks that I can help the locals to and give them a great time. It's about getting the balance right so everyone has a good time.

Does this make me a hotshot? Maybe some would think so. I think I am just being honest rather than PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Does this make me a hotshot? Maybe some would think so. I think I am just being honest rather than PC.

I don't think it make you a hotshot, we are all different. I'm not sure i'm PC I like to think i'm honest, I don't need to impress anyone I do it cos I wan't to, one thing is I do remember and am gratefull to the people that took time out to help me, and still do, I just think its not all about taking if we wan't a good local freestyle there are people who would benifit from a little more help, or we can just keep travelling miles each week.

re

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Molly View Post
    I too noticed there were a lot of onlookers - mostly women - not being a local dancer, were these beginners to Ceroc or had the appearance of a host of really good dancers scared them off the dancefloor? It was a shame to see them sat out, I really ought to learn to lead (as opposed to just stealing the lead from Boardrider )
    Maybe they were scared of the Hotshots ?

the musicality deaf. A number of beginners and musicality noobies were sat out, looking on, wondering where these people and dance style materialised from.

Cool Re: Rat Pack 9th Feb

I would hate a noticable divide between 'good' and 'not so good' dancers and agree with what Fletch posted about trying to avoid it and not having two rooms this time.
    We were all beginners once and we all know dancers who are both better than us and obviously some not as experienced.
    So we are all still learning, and we know now we can ask the more experienced dancers to help us improve, we just need to let the newer dancers know its OK to ask us to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    re

Maybe they were scared of the Hotshots ?
    My name appears twice, .. is it directed at me? If so what point are you trying to make here. Then I can respond.

My name appears twice, .. is it directed at me? If so what point are you trying to make here. Then I can respond.
    When Jammie was stripping down to his underpants did you dance with 'these people' or did you think them sad ?

A number of beginners and musicality noobies were sat out, looking on, wondering where these people and dance style materialised from.

When Jammie was stripping down to his underpants did you dance with 'these people' or did you think them sad ?
    I'm still not sure what you point is and by "these people" do you mean Jamie +1 or a different group? Please be specific.

I'm still not sure what you point is and by "these people" do you mean Jamie +1 or a different group? Please be specific.
    There was a general comment that there was a them /us or even a 3 way split re who attended

You said

A number of beginners and musicality noobies were sat out, looking on, wondering where these people and dance style materialised from.
    So did you let them wonder or dance with any

Ie did the ‘groups’ mix

I assume from what was said not

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    I would hate a noticable divide between 'good' and 'not so good' dancers and agree with what Fletch posted about trying to avoid it and not having two rooms this time.
    We were all beginners once and we all know dancers who are both better than us and obviously some not as experienced.
    So we are all still learning, and we know now we can ask the more experienced dancers to help us improve, we just need to let the newer dancers know its OK to ask us to help them.

I love this post, your so right IHO Jivejunkie.

I recently asked you to help one of my freinds, you happily took her under your wing, and I belive the help you showed her has been monumental.

I'm sure we can all remember when we were very new, and the people that showed us some kindness, and i'm sure we also remember the ones that didn't, but maybe my memory isn't as short as some.

so your choice of name for the forum, looks like your just a jiver like me, i'm still going to use the nick name I gave you

save me a Jive on Sunday, you help me with the fast i'll help you with the slow

Ie did the ‘groups’ mix

I assume from what was said not
    I worked the room as per

I also asked several 'good' dancers to dance with a couple of my friends, nothing new there then.

I aslo aske for a few favours for myself, Crewella lead me in WCS Ruby and Lucky taught Joe to slide

From what I could see there were some 'good' dancers that didn't ask new people that they hadn't seen before to dance, but there's isn't anything unusuall in it, its the same wherever you go.

We all have different journey in dance/life, it dosn't make me right and them wrong just different, live and let live, you carn't turn a 'taker' into a 'giver' you just have to find your own happiness. It makes me happy to see the look on peoples faces when a plan comes together

I only ask people that I think will help, I avoid asking people that appear less than helpfull, even if they have been on the reciving end of my help in the past. its just life

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

We all have different journey in dance/life, it dosn't make me right and them wrong just different, live and let live, you carn't turn a 'taker' into a 'giver' you just have to find your own happiness. It makes me happy to see the look on peoples faces when a plan comes together

I only ask people that I think will help, I avoid asking people that appear less than helpfull, even if they have been on the reciving end of my help in the past. its just life
    Makes me want to cry

Thread Information