Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Odds.........

Amazing Odds.........

How's this for amazing odds .........

Needed to ring my friend Warren last night, but his number was not on my mobile - found it rung the number, unfortunately I got a recorded message (a standard female recording) so I left a message for him to call me back.

Three hours later, I got a call on my phone that went like this :-

Warren
    "Hi Lynda, Warren here - so tell me more about the event tonight which you are giving me a lift for"

Lynda
    "Hi Warren, you sound different tonight - anyway, it is in Twickenham etc etc"

Warren
    "Wow, sounds great, are you sure you can pick me up"

Lynda
    "Yeah, no probs"
    pause as I am thinking, this doesn't sound like Warren

Lynda
    "I am talking to Warren ???? (surname) - and do you know who I am"

Warren
    "No I am Warren ??? (his surname) - and not sure if I know you"

Warren
    "Anyway Lynda, how did you get my number"

Lynda
    "It was on my old phone - and I only know one Warren - very very strange"

Lynda
    "Are you a dancer Warren"

Warren
    "No I am a soldier and I live in Oxford"

Lynda
    "whoooops, sorry Warren - not sure how I got your number, but if you ever feel like dancing, give me a ring"

After coming off the phone I checked the number and I transferred the last two digits .............. how's that for a coincidence especially as Warren is not a common name

Anyone else got any strange stories like the above ????

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: Amazing Odds.........

You have to read the book Beyond Coincidence . it just goes to show that truth is stranger than fiction.

I have read it and it's really interesting.. the first part of the book is about how we percieve coincidence, and the second part is a list of bizarre coincidences from press and news.

I like your one though.. that's great !

OK, you gloss over it in your telling of the story:

"but [Warren's] number was not on my mobile - found it rung the number..."

Well, where did you find the number? The number that actually belonged to this other person called Warren? It's not such a coincidence that you ended up speaking to someone called Warren if you were looking for and found a number for someone called - er - Warren!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    OK, you gloss over it in your telling of the story:

"but [Warren's] number was not on my mobile - found it rung the number..."

Well, where did you find the number? The number that actually belonged to this other person called Warren? It's not such a coincidence that you ended up speaking to someone called Warren if you were looking for and found a number for someone called - er - Warren!
    It was on her old phone – but in copying it over to her new one she mis-transcribed two digits.

It is an amazing coincidence that she then ended up talking to someone with exactly the same name.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Love your co-incidence story Lynda - that is really really freaky. I could do the maths, but it would hurt my head!!!

I had a funny coincidence story. When I was 18 my friend Lucy and I went to the party in the park at Clapham common. There were LOADS of people at this free Capital FM Radio pop concert - in the order of 30,000. We couldn't help but notice a gorgeous guy in a turquoise T-shirt behind us. So much so that I took a picture of 'the crowd' AKA gorgeous turquoise shirted boy. Of course we were too shy to say hello and just admired him from afar.

About 2 weeks later we were at our local nightclub in Bracknell (so not very close to Clapham Common). If I remember rightly Kevin from 'Man o Man' was doing a tour (the guy in the boots who could make his chest muscles dance - cmon you remember!). Well, leaving the nightclub someone asked if they could jump start their car off of mine (hadn't a clue what that really entailed) but said OK. It was only a few minutes into the jumpstarting that I realised it was the gorgeous guy in the turquoise shirt. Of course, I took that as 'a sign', dated him for a while until he ended it when I went off to university!! The first of many to break my heart!!

SuzyQ

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    It was on her old phone – but in copying it over to her new one she mis-transcribed two digits.

It is an amazing coincidence that she then ended up talking to someone with exactly the same name.
    Thank you ducasi, that is exactly what happened

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

I had another strange experience when I first started dancing..........

Was in the long girlie (follows) line up in my Brighton class, we had to wait a while before dancing (so many ladies over) so the girl in front introduced herself to me.

New Person
    "Hello I'm Mary, what's your name?"

Lynda"
    Lynda, what's yours?"

Mary
    "Mary, my best friend is called Linda, Linda ??? (her surname)""

Lynda
    "I went to school with a girl called "Linda ???"

Mary
    "Really, that's strange as Linda married a chap with the same surname as her maiden name, so you might know her from school. What school did you go to"

Lynda
    "Hendon County, in North West London"

Mary

"Noooooooooooo, really, so did she"

Mary gave me Linda's number and we have been in touch (after 45 years)

--ooOoo--

Not quite so amazing odds but it made us chuckle.

Went to see my friend's new house last night and took her a card with a mole on it - not your usual "new home" card I thought - something a bit different.

Half an Hour later more friends turn up, go to give my friend their card and emit a little scream.... They've just caught sight of my card and yes it was exactly the same one!!

Bless her - she only has 2 new home cards and they're both exactly the same!!

I know not such amazing odds as I brought the card from Sainsburys but there are loads of other places where you might go to get a card! It was either a bit freaky or shows how well we know our friends!
    Last edited by JennyC; 19th-January-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Sp!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Thank you ducasi, that is exactly what happened
    Duh.

I thought I read the whole post but I missed the end.

I refer the honourable members to the time of my post - 11.30 pm. I was tired.

My boss was sent to America for training. He was at a cocktail party.

"gee, what part of England are you from?"
    "London"
    ""gee, do you know Mrs *****" A Polish name.
    Pause, whilst my boss tries to think of a polite way to tell the American lady the size of the population of London, but instead -
    "Would that be ***** *****" - giving a first name.
    The lady in question lived next door to his mother.
    ---
    Every week the lottery numbers just happen to match the birth dates / house numbers of six people.

hehehehheeheheheh poor warren i hope u went 2 oxford 2 get him!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    hehehehheeheheheh poor warren i hope u went 2 oxford 2 get him!
    Poor soldier Warren, he pretended to know who I was at the start of the conversation (I think he is a player) - little did he know he was talking to a lady possibly the same age as his grannie

--ooOoo--

I have got a strange story actually...whenever Zara tries to ring me some strange sounding european woman answers even though zara always rings my proper number!

however once, at brean when she rang me i was sitting next to her and my phone started ringing!

this was really spooky because i always had my phone on me when zara tried to ring me but i never recieved any calls even though zara said she had rung me!

spooky?

very

also another strange story hehehe im on a roll now.

a few weeks before christmas me and dad went to berko and i saw my friend elly with two girls i didnt recognize...

it turned out they knew me straight away from singing in the christmas show at my old school and they lived in great misseden and went to the same school

they'd been dancing a few weeks and half the people i asked if they knew from our old school they did!

after some chatting and bitching about the mean teachers there LOL we met up a few times at berko

and now we are the best of friends!

theyr'e names are jade and vanessa, jade is quite slim, little and blonde and vanessa is a bit taller than jade, with mid length brown hair.

i couldnt believe it when i found out they went to my old school and its great they dance!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After just debating the merits of Carry On Up The Khyber vs. Life Of Brian a few days ago on another thread, I turn on Film4 tonight, only to see Carry On Up The Khyber being screened. Followed by Life Of Brian.

God's clearly trying to tell us something Barry

Oh, and:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    i couldnt believe it when i found out they went to my old school and its great they dance!
    Ahhh.... so that's them...

A guy came in for an eye test. His records say he wears varifocals.

Me "How are you getting on with your varifocals?"

Man "I've never worn varifocals".

I think I've obviously got the wrong records so I'll check his details against the records I've been given.

Me "Is your name Joe Bloggs?"

Man "Yes"

Me "Do you live on (e.g.) Ceroc Street?"

Man "Yes"

Me "Is your birthday (e.g) 21st January?"

Man "Yes"

Now I'm totally puzzled as to why the records are wrong. After looking into it further, it turned out we had two unrelated patients with exactly the same name (and it wasn't a common name), living on the same street and both with the same birthday (they were born in a different year.) Thankfully their prescriptions for specs were totally different so we could sort out their records that had become mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Now I'm totally puzzled as to why the records are wrong. After looking into it further, it turned out we had two unrelated patients with exactly the same name
    Not as much as a coincidence but I'm named after my Dad. A few years back both our life insurance policies needed renewing at the same time. Confusion led to utter confusion as,at one point hey got mixed up. I was in my late 50's and living in my Parents town, Then , I was in my Late 50's living in Aberdeen. Then I was in my late 20's (as I was then) but living in my Parents town, while my Dad apparently, was living in Aberdeen.

What was really odd though.. yes we used the same company.. and yes we had the same name but we each did our renewals ourselves from our own place of residence. I.e my Dad filled in the form with his SW Scotland Address and I filled in the form from my Aberdeen address. As far as the insurance people were concerned these were two separate unrelated policies from two distinct individuals (which they were.. really) And it was just bad (or I suppose Good) luck that somehow I ended up with my Dad's and my Dad ended up with mine.

It took many years to sort out. For years I kept getting Birthday reminder junk mail on my dad's birthday ! and at one point the two people that were insured were two people that didn't exist. A mixture of my and my dad's details !! Ie My Day and Month of birth but his Year of birth.. My NI number.. His address !!

We did have a laugh with my dad though.. when they sent us each a full copy of our records for checking it turned out that they correctly had my mother down as his spouse.. but also incorrectly had her down as HIS mother

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    A guy came in for an eye test. His records say he wears varifocals.

Me "How are you getting on with your varifocals?"

Man "I've never worn varifocals".

I think I've obviously got the wrong records so I'll check his details against the records I've been given.

Me "Is your name Joe Bloggs?"

Man "Yes"

Me "Do you live on (e.g.) Ceroc Street?"

Man "Yes"

Me "Is your birthday (e.g) 21st January?"

Man "Yes"

Now I'm totally puzzled as to why the records are wrong. After looking into it further, it turned out we had two unrelated patients with exactly the same name (and it wasn't a common name), living on the same street and both with the same birthday (they were born in a different year.) Thankfully their prescriptions for specs were totally different so we could sort out their records that had become mixed up.
    I had a medical centre try to make me pay for bills relating to liver function tests and pregnancy-related tests a few years ago. I had only been in the medical centre once, and it was for a cream to go on my eye-lid!
    When I called them about it they had all my details correct - my name, address, medicare number - the lot. When I asked them what birthdate they had - that was the only date that was different. They then went through their records further and found that they had another Sally on their records (different surname though) - and she had a change of address - so they put my new account record to her old record card... and so I got her bills! Thankfully they amended their records accordingly.... For a good while there I felt like I was in one of those awful movies where someone has stolen an identity..

Blog Entries

I was at an open day today for the postgrad course I'm starting in the summer. We arrived very early and signing in, the name just above mine on the sheet seemed to ring a bell, but I wasn't sure and couldn't place where from, so I dismissed it as coincidence - after all, lots of people have the same name as someone else.

During the coffee break, a girl sat down at the same table as my parents and I. We started chatting and she mentioned she's doing psychology at Aberdeen uni - the same course I graduated from a couple of years ago. Then she asked where I was from and it turns out we both stay in the same city, went to the same high school, had been in the same year and hers was the name I'd seen when registering! We've both changed a fair bit from high school and as we had quite a big year group I don't think we even spoke in the whole six years we were there, so it's not like we recognised each other (definitely not consciously anyway).
    Of all the 60 people I could have got chatting to today, I would never have thought it'd be someone I didn't speak to from my year at high school, who's doing the same course at the same uni, planning to do the same postgrad (which isn't even directly related to our initial degree) and who signed in just before me!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    Spooky coincidence stuff
    "You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"

Do do do do do do do do do do do do dooooo drumumrurmrurm

Thread Information