Thread: Dance Boots

Dance Boots

Question .... do dance boots make you dance better or is it all psychological? The reason I ask is that I've just some back form dancing and noticed a new horde of dancers have invested in dance boots ... like Blochs or Boogie Steps.

These boots arn't cheap and a lot of the ones being bought don't have a supported midsole. The long and short of it is though they look more 'profesional' they can be more unstable and harder to dance in, particuallry for women.

My casual observation from tonight is that far from helping, they look lousy and have made some of the individuals dancing worse. I admit the observations may be clouded by my own experience. A few years ago a number of the top teachers started Blochs. These shoes looked really cool, were very light and cost a bomb ... so being a mug I got a pair. For the first couple of months I fely like a million bucks .. then I gradually realised that I could spin better in my old leather shoes ... not good for the ego.

So ... has anybody has a similar experience .. got their own viewpoint?

Re: Dance Boots

Originally posted by Gus
    Question .... do dance boots make you dance better or is it all psychological? The reason I ask is that I've just some back form dancing and noticed a new horde of dancers have invested in dance boots ... like Blochs or Boogie Steps.
    Hi Gus,

not sure what you mean by dance boots. You're not talking about the black and white things are you?

I started out dancing doing ballroom (as you may have gathered from other threads...) and I've still got a few pairs of the sparkly latin shoes with 2.5inch heels. These were great for ballroom but I wasn't comfortable wearing spikes for ceroc so I got some different shoes. My current preference is a pair of tap shoes without the taps (obviously) but with suede soles instead. They're great because they're comfortable, have a low, broad(ish) heel and the sole means that I can spin smoothly but still dance with a bit of grip. I recommend them! (BTW if anyone sees me at the start of the class with a wire brush I'm just getting the crud off my suede. For some reason I get funny looks... )

I can only dance in other shoes if a *small* amount of alcohol has been consumed...

My previous ballroom teacher used to tell people to buy a pair of regular shoes with leather soles and keep those just for dancing - again the leather helps with the sliding/spinning thing.

I guess it's a personal preference thing though...

Jayne

The Oracle
    I have about 4 different pairs of dance shoes on the go.

For cabarets and competitions, I prefer to use Supadance latin shoes. These have got a semi-flexible sole - they can bend enough to look like you are pointing your feet, but still provide support. The sole is suede-covered - this is usually ok, but needs a lot of brushing to keep the grip. Unfortunately after an hour of wearing these, the soles of my feet hurt too much to dance, so I never wear them for normal dancing.

I have a pair of loafer-style dance shoes that I bought in the US. These are very comfortable, but I also use them with a cushioned insole - makes them even better. They soles are suede covered, and if the floor is really good (ie not slippy) this is my favourite pair.

I have a pair of Bloch dance trainers. When I first wore them, I got cramp in my feet. I think the split-sole was just in the wrong position for my foot, and would put too much pressure in the wrong place. But a pair of insoles transformed them, and I wear them most of the time. I can wear them throughout a dance weekend, and still walk at the end of it! The soles are grippy enough for most dance floors without being too sticky. They are durable - I've had my pair for over 2 years, and they will last at least another 2 years. But they are not perfect.
    - they are not very stable. The heels are quite high, and the air-filled pocket allows even more movement. I would never do any aerials wearing them.
    - they can be too sticky for me to spin in without hurting my knees. I don't know how ladies manage to spin all night in them.
    - They make your feet look big and heavy. They only look ok with trousers. Ladies who wear them with skirts must be more interested in comfort than style (not necessarily anything wrong with that for social dancing). I wouldn't want to wear them for a competition.

I also have a pair of Capezio dance trainers. They are more comfortable that the Blochs, and a lot more stable. They also look better. But the sole has far too much grip. I only use them if I have to do a cabaret on a really slippy floor (eg Camber or Monster Jive Cocktail). They also don't seem to last as long as the Blochs.

When I go social dancing, I take the Blochs and the loafers. If I am doing a cabaret or a competition, I will take all 4 pairs. (You can't tell someone who is paying you to dance that the floor is too slippy for you.)

What I am waiting for is a pair of suede-soled Capezio dance trainers...

David

Commercial Operator SwingSwingSwing's Avatar
    I got a pair of boots at Beach Boogie last year (can't remember the brand). They were on sale and felt OK when I tried them on. But for the first few months they felt awkward to dance in. They don't spin very well, even on good floors but they do give good support to my ankle which was what I was looking for.

For those first few months I regretted buying them. But I've warmed to them now and they have become my first choice pair for classes and workshops. And since I'm doing Lindy Hop more that Modern Jive these days, the spinning issue isn't that important. My partner bought a pair of Blochs at the same time and she loves them. Comfortable, plenty of support (she has a weak ankle) and they spin surprising well.

Talking of spinning, anyone fancy a pair of these?

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science...241395,00.html

SwingSwingSwing

(edited 'cos of bad grammar)
    Last edited by SwingSwingSwing; 19th-July-2002 at 01:04 PM.

Re: Re: Dance Boots

Originally posted by Jayne
    For some reason I get funny looks...
    What makes you think it's the brushing?

My previous ballroom teacher used to tell people to buy a pair of regular shoes with leather soles and keep those just for dancing - again the leather helps with the sliding/spinning thing.
    This is what I do, and on the whole I'm happy with this. It works well most of the time, but I do have to be careful not to allow my partner to build up too much momentum, or I end up sliding around the floor. As this is only a problem with certain partners, I don't mind this compared to the prospect of tripping myself up with grippier soles.

Some interesting points coming out.

not sure what you mean by dance boots. You're not talking about the black and white things are you?
    The ones I'm refering to look like trainers ... tend to be out of fabric with a hard plastic (?) sole, and a split misole, so that the heel and fore foot can move seperately (not quite as bizarre as it sounds).

There appears to be, from my small experinece, two types. The more rigid ones, like capezios, and the more extreme Boogie stpes/Bloch version. What this thread seems to have said so far is that you should think very carefully before investing in this type of shoes. As Dave B says .. if looks are in any way an issue (and lets admit it ... it can be) these boots only good with ceratin attire. Its also a case that there is a perception to advance in activity, be it say tennis or dance, you need better kit to progress ... that is not alwys the case.

I was keen to develop a more 'street' style and dancing in my old workshoes didn't quite fit the bill .... even though they give good support and allow me to spin. The BLochs helped the image but nearly destroyed my kness ... AH, the price of vanity. Its a bit like horses for courses ... I still take them and on certain floors, where I need a bit more grip, they're fine.

For competetion though, where apperance is even more important, I invested in some surf trainers .... no chance of spinning in them as they are designed to grip .. but they suit the street style of dance and fit in with my and my partners outfits. I've been told that glueing suede to the sole would help me to be able to spin but so far I've chickened out of potentialy ruining a #60 pair of pumps.

Originally posted by Gus
    I've been told that glueing suede to the sole would help me to be able to spin but so far I've chickened out of potentialy ruining a #60 pair of pumps.
    I was about to bring this up, but you beat me to it.

"Chroming" a pair of trainers/shoes seems to be quite popular in the States but I've not heard of it in Britain.

Anyone got any experience of chroming? If so, any tips? Like the best kind of leather/suede to use? Is it easy to do yourself or would you get your local cobbler to do it?

Cheers

SwingSwingSwing

"Chroming" a pair of trainers/shoes seems to be quite popular in the States but I've not heard of it in Britain.

Never heard the term before but think I know what you mean.

One of the reasons that I've had to move away from dance pumps is that I've got dodgy ankles ... hence the move to more stable, yet less 'spinny' footware. It was my podiatrist who suggested a local coblar that might be able to 'convert' my street pumps. At Rye, one of the girls from Sheffield showed me how she'd converted some normal shoes with suede ... seems to work ... the trick seems to be to leave the heel alone so you've still got a break. Hope to see her tonight at teh Sheffield Hop so may get an more indepth explanation

(OH ... what an action packed life I lead ... going halfway across the country to talk to a woman about the soles of her shoes ...)

Never heard the term before but think I know what you mean.
    The term comes from the fact they use chromed leather, leather or suede treated with chromium salts.

SwingSwingSwing (a mine of useful information!)

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    I have a pair of Bloch trainers. I bought them when the shoes that I was wearing to dance in started to leak if it was raining. I saw my teacher wearing these shoes and asked her what they were, and she reccommended them to me.

I love them. They spin well, and I can wear them to dance all night and not have sore feet the next day. I'd reccommend them to anyone who wanted something to wear but didn't want to go down the Character Shoe route. I have an ancient pair of those too, they are good to dance in, but leave me in pain the next day.

I think they look OK too, and have been known to wear them with a skirt, but then I'd wear a pair of Doctor Martens with a skirt too, I think that's a personal fashion issue and nothing to do with dancing!

I thought they were cheap to be honest, they cost me £45. It's pretty hard to get a decent pair of shoes for under £30, and normal trainers usually cost double that.

My only problem with the Blochs is that as it's now summer they get pretty hot and are beginning to get smelly! I recently bought a pair of Bleyer wedgie shoes (Ok, I like shoes, I have a lot of pairs, I admit it!!) which have a cork wedge, chromed soles, and a red cloth top. They look very 1940s. They are also extremely comfortable, and give a great spin.

Incidentally, I was looking at the soles of the Bleyers the other day and wondering if there was anything I should do to them to maintain them.

Anyway, in answer to the origional question: My Blochs made me dance better, definitely. But then I was wearing nasty old smooth soled trainers which let in the rain before, so maybe it's no surprise!!

Originally posted by Emma
    Incidentally, I was looking at the soles of the Bleyers the other day and wondering if there was anything I should do to them to maintain them.
    You should use a wire brush as mentioned by Jayne and DavidB to "get the crud off", as Jayne put it.

SwingSwingSwing

Originally posted by SwingSwingSwing

"get the crud off"

Yup..that's what I was looking at!!!

Thanks. I'll get me a wire brush!

Arh, well, you see - it's not just as easy as getting a wire brush!

If your suede soles have seen a lot of action and are completely flat and covered in "crud" (wish I'd chosen a better word now...) then no amount of brushing will ressurect them. Trust me - my Dad took the wire brush attachment on his drill to mine a couple of weeks ago and had absolutely no impact on them. The only solution is to get some new soles. Most cobblers will order in some suede soles and fit them or alternatively you can get them from dancewear shops with a tube of glue (either option is just under 10 quid).

Once you have them you have to brush them after each wearing, possibly using a blunt-ish knife to remove any lumps of crud. NEVER get them wet (some people even take them off befor eventuring into the toilet!) and don't wear them outside.

Any questions?

Dr Jayne (PhD in shoe maintenance!!)

Heh, thanks Dr Jayne!

Fortunately I haven't worn my shoes that much, so hopefully they can be de-crudalised without too much trouble...

And on a side note, it just occurred to me that my Bloch shoes don't necessarily make me dance better..it just feels better to me

And on a side note, it just occurred to me that my Bloch shoes don't necessarily make me dance better..it just feels better to me
    AHA .... which proves my very first point ... sometimes its not what you wear that makes you dance better rather than it makes you FEEL as if you are dancing better ... and can end up having the same effect .... better dancing comes as much from confidence as dancing technique.

I remeber the first time some of our younger lasses progressed from t-shirts and jeans to jazz pants and backless crop tops (OK ... I don't know what else to call them) ... they felt, loooked and consequently danced like a million dollars.

However ... there is also the class of dancers who think because they are wearing the same kit as the better dancers they can dance the same moves just as well with the same style ... and no one has the heart to tell them otherwise.

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Jayne
    If your suede soles have seen a lot of action and are completely flat and covered in "crud" (wish I'd chosen a better word now...) then no amount of brushing will ressurect them.
    I once attacked an old pair with some suede shampoo and a wire brush - the got a lot better, but were still nowhere near as good as new.
    There are also differences in wire brushes. The suede cleaner type you get at shoe shops are worse than useless. You need to go to a dance shoe shop. If you can, get one where the wire brush part is curved instead of flat. They are so much better.
    And don't brush your shoes on the floor - someone else's shoes will pick up your 'crud'!

David

Am I so sad that I have nothing better to talk about on a Friday night...

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Unhappy Yup we are sad!

The price to pay for wanting to go to Aberdeen tomorrow is to stay in and talk about shoes tonight - oh well here's my twopence-worth:-

I have two pairs of bloch trainers- one fabric and one leather. The leather ones offer better support, in my opinion, but sometimes they do get a bit hot. I love them, love dancing in them - they are very, very comfortable and I think I spin equally as well in them as I do in my shoes. The problem is, as Gus has said already, is that I can't wear them with a skirt or a dress SO I tend to wear trousers much more now than I did before. Actually I did wear them when I had a little skirt on with ankle sox and that looked ok (only my opinion again you'd have to ask some of the guys who were there..................)
    I have a pair of character shoes which were the first dance shoes I bought but they offer no grip if the floor is slippy. I also think the sole is a bit thin for dancing all night. I got another pair similar to these with padding inside and they are better, they have a decent sized heel (unlike Bill I cannot dance at all in 6" stillettos:reallymad ) but they look like school shoes (couldn't bring myself to get the black and white ones so settled for plain black). The first night I wore them without tights I ended up with very, very black feet. OOPS!!!!!!!!!

What I would really like is something that looks girly, doesn't have too high or thin a heel, gives you some grip but lets you spin easily when you want to. Doesn't make your legs look like tree trunks if you are unfortunate enough not to have matchstick legs. Looks good with a dress but not stupid with trousers -

One tip I got when wearing the character shoes was to wet a paper towel and then stand on it to get the soles of your shoes damp - but unfortunately the effect only lasts for a little while.

Re the original question - do I dance better when wearing proper shoes? - Probably!
    I can't dance with sports trainers on, have tried it wearing kicker boots - with limited success, gave up after one dance the night we tried barefoot and if high heels and alcohol are involved FORGET IT

Originally posted by DavidB

Am I so sad that I have nothing better to talk about on a Friday night...
    Awww...why aren't you out dancing? (Why aren't I out dancing...)

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Emma
    why aren't you out dancing?
    I made it to the Casbah in the end. Very strange music - a lot of latin and lounge music - and it seemed even hotter than usual...

David

Re: Nice to meet you

Originally posted by Sheena
    The price to pay for wanting to go to Aberdeen tomorrow is to stay in and talk about shoes tonight
    Hey Sheena, nice to meet you at the Aberdeen party last night. Maybe one of days I will manage to get down to Dundee either to the class or the party, hope so.

Glad to see shoes are not only my problem. Having size 8 feet don't help! Nothing looks dainty on my tootsies! I also would love to wear skirts or dresses but as it takes me all my time to dance on low heels I can't imagine what I would be like on 6" ones! Some nasty person might even think I had been drinking alcohol, bloody cheek, as if I would!

Look forward to seeing you again. Anyone wanting to share a car going down to Dundee some time let me know.

Sandy

Thread Information