Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Caught the last few minutes of AvP on TV last night.

The film was a little slow, and it was pretty frustrating in the middle with all the fol-de-rol with the Indiana Jones-style moving stone walls in the underground castle, ho hum, but the final scenes were pretty good.

And I liked the echo with the first Alien that the only person left is the woman.

But still IMHO after Aliens it was all downhill.
    If you only caught the last few minutes, how do you know so much about the middle of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    If you only caught the last few minutes, how do you know so much about the middle of it?
    Telepathy.

Or possibly I've seen the film before...yes, I think that's it!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Telepathy.
    You sure you don't mean divine inspiration?

I think I'll give AvP2 a miss - I just can't be bothered to be honest...

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    As someone who had no interest in AvP1, I'm even less likely to bother...

Never really got the appeal of the Predator films TBH - they just seemed like run of the mill sci-fi gorefests to me. The idea that an entire sub-franchise has appeared, based on one scene in the first Predator movie, is mind-boggling.

The Alien franchise is one that could do with a reboot (a la Batman and James Bond). It's such a shame that the third film was sanitised away from some of the ideas that were flying around in early draft scripts.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

...mmmmm.

Sean Young - yes? No? Or are you currently not allowed to say?
    Well I certainly liked that scene

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

Its pretty good actually. Decent plot : mundane day to day life in normal small town america turns horrific as everyone starts getting eaten and/or dragged off to become egg hosts. The aliens and the predator 'clean up' ...er...man are done well. And the conclusion is suitably bleak and dark. I think its because there is no "win" for anyone that reviewers hate it so much, that and the humans are, quite realistically, absolute cannon fodder

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Never really got the appeal of the Predator films TBH - they just seemed like run of the mill sci-fi gorefests to me. The idea that an entire sub-franchise has appeared, based on one scene in the first Predator movie, is mind-boggling.
    I say what you're saying but to me the "predators" are almost like the Klingons but in a realistic universe. Klingons vs Predators - now theres a film.

...mmmmm.

Very YES! (and hopes Twirly doesn't read this thread)

I liked her more once she'd let her hair down.. in both meanings of the word.

I also caught the last few mins of AvP last night .. and wish I hadn't

I thought it was quite funny.. The sole female survivor teams up with the sole remaining predator and she gets the novelty spear and shield things. Then they run off. Now from what I remember the Predator was VERY agile and VERY fast. yet when the got to the base of the ice tunnel the female human was in the lead by a good few seconds.

He'll not live that down when he's in the pub with his mates. .. ah wait, no .. after his tangle with the queen he won't have to will he? Phew lucky escape for him !!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Very YES! I liked her more once she'd let her hair down.. in both meanings of the word.
    The out-takes from the 'Say 'kiss me'' scene are - um - interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    from what I remember the Predator was VERY agile and VERY fast.
    Reminds me of what Rober Ebert said about the vampires in 30 days of night:
    "They move with loud whooshes at lightning speed when you can't quite see them, and with ungainly lurches when you can."

The mark of a great reviewer - pointing out the blimmin' obvious you never really realised on your own.

An Eclectic Toaster

Reminds me of what Rober Ebert said about the vampires in 30 days of night:
    "They move with loud whooshes at lightning speed when you can't quite see them, and with ungainly lurches when you can."

The mark of a great reviewer - pointing out the blimmin' obvious you never really realised on your own.
    Hmmm, so much for everyone saying that that statues episode of Doctor Who was so original...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, so much for everyone saying that that statues episode of Doctor Who was so original...
    Huh, that's just what I was thinking. Considering they were supposed to move like lightning, they weren't too clever in the crunch...

...mmmmm.

I would but she probably wouldn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I would but she probably wouldn't!
    Keep it clean. This was a chance for the devoted protectors of Rachel to - express their admiration for her cool, languid charms...

Further to my recent posts on the question of lame TV drama - this from episode 3 of the Sarah Connor Chronicles - Sarah is in a mobile phone outlet:

Salesman: "You got four meg camera; texting - true texting not that SMS cartoon bubble junk - 3G data access 10 gigs free music 6 hours of talktime and 36 standby on your battery!"

Sarah: "What happens if I press these numbers here?"

"Excuse me?"

"These numbers, one through nine - if I press seven of them, will someone talk to me through the earpart over here?"

"Uh - yeah."

"OK, I'll take three."

That's good dialogue - something that real people might really say but it advances the plot as well - and it's funny too.

Commercial Operator

Well - since this thread started with monster movies, I thought it an appropriate place to post - just got back from watching Cloverfield.

Which I highly recommend. It is nothing more and nothing less than a cinematic roller-coaster ride, so if that doesn't float your boat don't bother... but it really is so much fun. If anyone hasn't come across it, it can be quite simply described as the Blair Witch Project meets Godzilla. In Manhatten. My senses are still reeling somewhat.

And definitely going to be a lot better on the big screen than it would be on a DVD.

Only one gripe, really - which I'd better spoiler-text, so if you've seen the film, highlight the bit below to read it....

Why do helicopter pilots persist in trying to escape from giant monsters by flying at low altitudes??? Haven't they seen Godzilla?Don't they know they can go up???

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Well - since this thread started with monster movies, I thought it an appropriate place to post - just got back from watching Cloverfield.

And definitely going to be a lot better on the big screen than it would be on a DVD.
    Whereas I'm thinking DVD. The trailer made The Borne Ultimatium look like a lesson in using a steady-cam and that film made me feel a bit ill. I'm not a huge fan of over-use of the shaky-cam though I understand that it makes sense in Cloverfield.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Whereas I'm thinking DVD. The trailer made The Borne Ultimatium look like a lesson in using a steady-cam and that film made me feel a bit ill. I'm not a huge fan of over-use of the shaky-cam though I understand that it makes sense in Cloverfield.
    Aye - the trailer doesn't show you the worst of it either - as the footage is all from a video camera carried by one of the protagonists, there are times (usually when all hell lets loose) when it's getting pointed every which way, or at the ground (and often any way but at the action) - but the strange thing is that it did work for me - and normally I find the shaky-cam thing to be pretty much overdone (Bourne being a good example, although I did enjoy the film)

Part of the reason I say 'cinema' is the fact that it is a spectacular film, and the big screen helps to get a handle on the whole scale of it. More than that though - it works best if you get completely immersed in it - and one of the things which will help do that for you is the sound, which is fantastically well done - the use of surround sound really puts you right in the thick of the action (there were times when I thought members of the audience were screaming, only to realise it was part of the film)

I think the whole impact will be severely lessened at home. But maybe that's just me

If Bourne made you feel a bit ill though, you could be right to avoid Cloverfield - any motion-sickness effect could well be ten times worse.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    the use of surround sound really puts you right in the thick of the action (there were times when I thought members of the audience were screaming, only to realise it was part of the film)
    Meh, I've got a 5.1 set up at home . My screen isn't as big as a cinema screen though by quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Meh, I've got a 5.1 set up at home . My screen isn't as big as a cinema screen though by quite a bit.
    I hope when the DVD comes out It has a DTS mix (or even a DTS ES) mix. I may have to order a non region 2 DVD .. again

I really enjoyed the movie .. although at times I was thinking why is that guy still filming? hehe

Great movie, simple idea but it made for excellent viewing !!

Thread Information