Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem

Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem

I had been sort of looking forward to this movie. Sure I knew it was going to be bad.. but I thought it would be entertainingly bad.

However I just saw the trailer here. OMG.. it looks like a standard run of the mill teen slasher flick.

It's like they've taken the two creatures from two highly effective sci-fi movie series and dumped them in the middle of a Final Destination / I know what you did last summer film shoot

The body count in the trailer alone is overkill.. and every kill has to be a different and "interesting" kill.

I'm sorry but this looks terrible.. but I hope to be wrong on that one.

I think they could have renamed it. "I know what you did when you got to your final destination aboard the Nostromo last summer"

Re: Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem

yep seen the dvd and it is disappointing to say the least.
    Try 300 thats a cracker

XXX XXX DTS Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I had been sort of looking forward to this movie. Sure I knew it was going to be bad.. but I thought it would be entertainingly bad.
    I thought it looked, from the trailer, significantly better than the first AvP (but then I thought that was awful). I can see AvP must be a very tricky film to make. In comics and computer games it's cool to have Aliens and Predators go against each other with a bunch of marines sort of trapped in the middle. However I'm not really that interested in watching CGI battle itself out in my movies; I'd prefer that human element to give the film an anchor. I can see, therefore, why they took the direction they did.

However I just saw the trailer here. OMG.. it looks like a standard run of the mill teen slasher flick.

It's like they've taken the two creatures from two highly effective sci-fi movie series and dumped them in the middle of a Final Destination / I know what you did last summer film shoot

The body count in the trailer alone is overkill.. and every kill has to be a different and "interesting" kill.

I'm sorry but this looks terrible.. but I hope to be wrong on that one.

I think they could have renamed it. "I know what you did when you got to your final destination aboard the Nostromo last summer"
    Reviews pretty uniformly bad - see the Rotten Tomatoes site.

What we want is to see 'aliens' rampaging through New York, not dicking about in some Colorado backwater. (Of course aliens couldn't get into New York because you're not allowed to take sharp edges into the USA...)

Get hold of the Blade Runner final cut instead, dude, your eyes will thank you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Get hold of the Blade Runner final cut instead, dude, your eyes will thank you for it.
    One of my all time favourite Sci-Fi films. Even Rutger Hauer was bearable in it*

(*least said about Ladyhawke , Blind Fury and Crossworlds the better!!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

well Im off to see it tonight and it looks pretty good to me, but then I am a big fan of aliens, predators and humans

Jonothan Ross gave it a pretty good review but admitted if you werent a die hard sci-fi addict or into multi-explosion action type films where "plot" is the bits in between each brutal death, there may be little for you. Sounds fair enough to me.

My daughter has a 6" model of an Alien Queen called fluffy. She loves fluffy

Haven't seen any of the AvPs. Are they any good?
    Meanwhile I'm trying to catch up with Heroes, which I missed on TV last year.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

One of my all time favourite Sci-Fi films. Even Rutger Hauer was bearable in it*

(*least said about Ladyhawke , Blind Fury and Crossworlds the better!!)
    oh c'mon Blind Fury is frikkin hilarious...

He wrote the line about "all these - moments - will be lost in time like...tears...in rain", which is no mean achievement. Still gives me a spine-tingle.

In an earlier version of the film, Tyrell turns out to be a replicant as well, and Batty goes up one more floor in the Tyrell building to find the real Tyrell - who is dead, and like the scene in Dark star kept in stasis to offer help and advice. (This information, and other gems, in the five-disk final cut version...)

Hauer, I think, is a brilliant actor but has turned up in some truly awful films.

He wrote the line about "all these - moments - will be lost in time like...tears...in rain", which is no mean achievement. Still gives me a spine-tingle.

In an earlier version of the film, Tyrell turns out to be a replicant as well, and Batty goes up one more floor in the Tyrell building to find the real Tyrell - who is dead
    I've been pondering buying the Blu-ray version as I believe it includes the cut version and the original cinema one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    oh c'mon Blind Fury is frikkin hilarious...
    That it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    Haven't seen any of the AvPs. Are they any good?
    I haven't seen the second one. The first is dire. If you haven't seen Alien, Aliens or Predator (1 and 2) they are all great films.

(This information, and other gems, in the five-disk final cut version...)
    5 disks? Wow thats one more than the Blade Runner PC game that I wasted so many hours on when it first came out.. so long ago now.

Star Wars may have made Harrison Ford a household name.. but Blade Runner was the film that made his career IMHO. (Well that and Raiders of the Lost Ark which came out the previous year but Blade runner was the first non frivolous role.. quite dark, and gritty and showed the cinema going public that he really could act.. and wasn't just a George Lucas/Lucasarts special effect )

Commercial Operator

Hauer, I think, is a brilliant actor but has turned up in some truly awful films.

his role in the original Hitcher, for example, was just amazing...

And even some of the truly awful films were brilliant... (eg Split Second - 'We need BIGGER *******G GUNS!!!')

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    I haven't seen the second one. The first is dire. If you haven't seen Alien, Aliens or Predator (1 and 2) they are all great films.
    Its not dire at all. Its plot-lite and cheesy but I actually quite enjoyed it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

And even some of the truly awful films were brilliant... (eg Split Second - 'We need BIGGER *******G GUNS!!!')
    he was chewing scenery in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" thats for sure

I grant you that.. I still remember the Truck/Trailer/"alternative tow rope" scene.. (you know the one) it seriously traumatised me when I saw it.. I came out of the cinema shivering.

he OOZED malevolence in that film .. I still can't watch the scene.. I get as far as him saying "You ... useless ... waste" and revving up the truck engine and I either change channels or press skip on the DVD !

An Eclectic Toaster

But some wonderful adverts, if such a thing could be said

Commercial Operator

I grant you that.. I still remember the Truck/Trailer/"alternative tow rope" scene.. (you know the one) it seriously traumatised me when I saw it.. I came out of the cinema shivering.
    chip
    chip
    chip
    finger

Blade runner Final cut:
    1. a new, improved version of the film, remastered visually and - um - audially with modern technology. The stunt Zora's wig (notoriously and hopelessly unlike Joanna Cassidy's hair) was refilmed, e.g.
    2. original US theatrical release
    3. original international theatrical release
    4. Director's cut release
    5. Workprint release
    6. Lots of 'making of' videos - art direction, screenplay, casting, special effects - though surprisingly not much about the music, which IMHO is the best Vangelis ever did
    7. Alternative/deleted scenes - so many that they are put together to tell yet another (much shorter) version of the entire film!
    8. Commentaries

...deffo worth the playola, man.

Hitcher - one of the only really scary films of the last 30 years or so. The reason why you are so blown away by the truck sequence is mostly down to Jennifer Jason Leigh - she makes the character she plays so loveable, and it seems like there is going to be a chance for her and Thomas C Howell - but the screenplay daringly kills off the major female with a courage which most films can't even aspire to. (Wouldn't mind betting it didn't happen in the 'remake'.)

Hauer's character is a more believable version of the Michael Myers/Jason/Freddy Kruger type of 'bad man'; the effect which those latter characters have is only while you are watching the film. Afterward their stature diminishes as you realise they are only 'boogeymen'. The hitcher is implacable, unfeeling - almost like a force of nature. He is so brutal that he does things amonst which is one that, like Beo, I find truly difficult to watch - in the truck park, while your whole body is clenched with dread and anticipation.

Commercial Operator

Hitcher - one of the only really scary films of the last 30 years or so. The reason why you are so blown away by the truck sequence is mostly down to Jennifer Jason Leigh - she makes the character she plays so loveable, and it seems like there is going to be a chance for her and Thomas C Howell - but the screenplay daringly kills off the major female with a courage which most films can't even aspire to. (Wouldn't mind betting it didn't happen in the 'remake'.)
    [UNNECESSARY SPOILER WARNING] - Highlight to spoil
    I've been told that it did happen in the remake ... but they still wimped out, and pulled a role reversal, so it's the guy who gets torn apart. Which, of course, they showed in full gory detail. Dimwits.
    [/UNNECESSARY SPOILER WARNING]

[UNNECESSARY SPOILER WARNING] - Highlight to spoil
    I've been told that it did happen in the remake ... but they still wimped out, and pulled a role reversal, so it's the guy who gets torn apart. Which, of course, they showed in full gory detail. Dimwits.
    [/UNNECESSARY SPOILER WARNING]
    I thought I was being told off for a spoiler, which I thought was harsh since the film is 20 years old. But when I clicked the 'Quote' button, I realised what you had done...

For some reason, remakes are never remakes. There always seems to be some inescapable imperative to improve as well. I shan't watch the Hitcher remake - unless it comes on TV and I can't be bothered to get out of my chair. The original is too precious to ruin like that.

The problem with 'gory detail' is - and most film-makers don't understand it - you spend time going - 'eurh! that's disgusting', whereas in the original you are thinking 'o my god! the poor girl! what a bastard' - etc., all good for the film and for manipulating your emotional response to the characters and to the story. In the other version, you're just feeling 'yuk - now I feel ill'.

Recently Hostel, in my view, and one or two bits in Saw 1, 2 and 3, got that body horror thing right. I'm thinking particularly of [SPOILER] the bit in Hostel where his achilles tendons are cut.

Thread Information