Thread: T-Rex arms

Glitter Queen

T-Rex arms

This is something I've recently noticed myself doing and have called it "T-Rex arms" for want of a better way to describe it.

Let me try and explain...
    It happens more when I'm being led off my left hand, and is even more pronounced in WCS than in MJ, but it's starting to happen all the time.
    I've always been used to trying to keep may arms fairly relaxed and about at waist level so that they are in an appropriate place for the leader to catch hold of should they need to whilst we're dancing (that is, of course, apart from when I'm doing some particular arm-styling or getting my spare arm out the way for whatever reason). However, lately I have found that I'm tensing-up and my spare arm is being dragged in closer to my body and my hand flopping down in a kind of "I'm-a-little-tea-pot" fashion... so I end up looking a bit like a T-Rex, striding out with my arms all bunched up by my chest!

Now, not only is this probably extremely unattractive to look at but it's also quite uncomfortable. What I'm really looking for are some ways to relax my arms a bit more (especially whilst dancing WCS), some tips on arm-styling points that I could use with my right arm when being led off the left (so that I have something positive to focus on doing with that arm rather than just ignoring it), and to know whether anyone else has had or is having a similar experience - or just to confirm that I'm being a freak!

All advice greatfully received.

Re: T-Rex arms

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    This is something I've recently noticed myself doing and have called it "T-Rex arms" for want of a better way to describe it.

Let me try and explain...
    It happens more when I'm being led off my left hand, and is even more pronounced in WCS than in MJ, but it's starting to happen all the time.
    I've always been used to trying to keep may arms fairly relaxed and about at waist level so that they are in an appropriate place for the leader to catch hold of should they need to whilst we're dancing (that is, of course, apart from when I'm doing some particular arm-styling or getting my spare arm out the way for whatever reason). However, lately I have found that I'm tensing-up and my spare arm is being dragged in closer to my body and my hand flopping down in a kind of "I'm-a-little-tea-pot" fashion... so I end up looking a bit like a T-Rex, striding out with my arms all bunched up by my chest!

Now, not only is this probably extremely unattractive to look at but it's also quite uncomfortable. What I'm really looking for are some ways to relax my arms a bit more (especially whilst dancing WCS), some tips on arm-styling points that I could use with my right arm when being led off the left (so that I have something positive to focus on doing with that arm rather than just ignoring it), and to know whether anyone else has had or is having a similar experience - or just to confirm that I'm being a freak!

All advice greatfully received.
    It could be seen as musical interpretation if dancing to a Marc Bolan track

I'm also struggling with what to do with my spare arm when dancing WCS - I was actually resting it just above my hip (strange as I don't do that when dancing MJ) which I didn't even realise I was doing til it was pointed out to me!

I don't think I do the T-Rex thing... I try to hold it out at waist level, but then I only have one or two WCS dances a week and always with the same person so its easy to get into bad habits.

Must remember to watch some experienced WCS follows at SP to see what they are doing!

Watching the pro's on You Tube (for WCS at least) will offer a lot of good ideas for spare arm styling but as with anything I guess it will take a while to sink into muscle memory and become automatic. I find I do more with the ladies left arm in WCS than I do in jive which can put her in the unaccustomed position (assuming she has MJ experience) of the right arm being the 'spare' arm.

One tip (which I hope ZW will attest to the validity of ) is to comb your left arm over your own head when being lead into a throwaway whip (I think it's called) or similar pattern. Not only does it look aesthetically pleasing but it has the functional benefit of
    * getting your arm out of the way so the lead can collect your shoulder blade
    * really engaging that shoulder blade when it is collected to assist in forming a good connection

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    One tip (which I hope ZW will attest to the validity of ) is to comb your left arm over your own head when being lead into a throwaway whip (I think it's called) or similar pattern. Not only does it look aesthetically pleasing but it has the functional benefit of
    * getting your arm out of the way so the lead can collect your shoulder blade
    * really engaging that shoulder blade when it is collected to assist in forming a good connection
    Yes I will attest to the validity of that!

Definitely a top tip from RobD .

It took a few weeks to sink in and I needed a bit of 'verbal' from Rob initially... but as soon as I did it there was a miraculous improvement in my shoulder blade connection. It's not stylish yet so don't look at me doing it.

I do believe Smiley Sue had some style ideas for those kind of combs. She was showing me in the car once, but the roof was too low and I was driving at the time.

ZW

Focus on where your neck joins your skull. There's a concept called a "startle pattern", but basically tension tends to start here then go through your shoulders into arms and wrist. If you can stop it here that should stop the rest tensing up and you can stay relaxed.

To get an exagerated feel, imagine someone just snuck up behind you and dug you in the ribs. Do it a few times to get the feel of where the tensions are. Then concentrate on relaxing your neck and do it again. You should find with a bit of pracitce you don't tense up.

It also helps with relaxing your neck if you direct "up" as if you were deliberately going for good posture / striking a dance pose with lines etc as this also helps to counteract the "startle pattern"

I'm not necessarily sure that knowing this makes you less of a Freak though

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I find I do more with the ladies left arm in WCS than I do in jive which can put her in the unaccustomed position (assuming she has MJ experience) of the right arm being the 'spare' arm.

One tip (which I hope ZW will attest to the validity of ) is to comb your left arm over your own head when being lead into a throwaway whip
    She can't comb her left arm over her head, if she's being led from her left, which is what Sparkles asked

Sparkles,

It may be that you are anticipating a roll-in, whch is commonly led from the follower's left hand. This could be because you are getting a slightly "noisy" lead either from the leader's hand, or because he is not stepping straight back on the 1, which suggests this to you. The fact that you have noticed your arm/hand coming up is half the battle, because at least you are aware of where your body is.

First thing to try is the classic Tatiana tip of bringing your shoulders up, back and down and engaging your lats. This will bring your elbow into a more natural position. The next thing would to relax your shoulders a little, because it sounds like you are concentrating too much on what to do next and whether you're doing it right, and that this is a visible mark of that self-imposed pressure.

Catriona and Paul W seem to know exactly what to do with their spare arms at any one time, part of which comes from their knowing the music so well. Perhaps you coud ask them?

Of course the other way would be to make your partner drive and have a glass of wine to help unwind...

R-K

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    She can't comb her left arm over her head, if she's being led from her left, which is what Sparkles asked
    My 'tip' wasn't so much for Sparkles' query as a general one related to arm styling when dancing WCS. Sparkles knows way more about what to do with her arms when dancing and how to do it than I am ever likely to so any advice is likely to travel in the opposite direction.

You've started putting your spare hand up behind your shoulder blade?

Glitter Queen

Thanks all for your advice so far, some good tips - please keep them coming, I am taking notes

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    Sparkles,
    It may be that you are anticipating...
    This , I think, is probably the route of all evil. I think it *is* because I'm anticipating, or maybe (subtely different) that I have 'anticipation', when being led off my left hand in particular - this is something I had not considered before.

As a follow from an MJ background I'm more used to being led off my right hand (I think relatively few MJ leads are given to the lady's left hand). So maybe I am more nervous in accepting a lead to my left hand as it is unusual to me? I know that I tense up when I am unsure of what I'm doing whilst dancing (Dan and Rob can certainly both agree with me there ) and sometimes that can even go so far as to lead to a total melt-down . Maybe I just need to relax and let my leader have a bit more control...
    ... hmm something tells me my T-Rex arms will be harder to 'solve' than I first thought .

As a follow from an MJ background I'm more used to being led off my right hand (I think relatively few MJ leads are given to the lady's left hand).
    Yup - half slingshot and wrap in (as if you were stealing the lead from a catapult) are the only 2 official ones which spring to mind.....

So maybe I am more nervous in accepting a lead to my left hand as it is unusual to me? I know that I tense up when I am unsure of what I'm doing whilst dancing
    ...but it is a fairly effective technique for improvising moves. Basically start in either a natural or crossed two hand hold. Get the follow moving. Let go of her right hand. Try to keep her moving without breaking anything, ideally interpretting the music. Which would fall into the category of you being unsure of what you're doing because the lead probably doesn't know what's coming next either And even if they do, it's likely the first time you'll have followed it.

One other thing that might be relevant. In MJ you'll be passing on the lead's right almost all the time. In Jango it's more balanced, but you'll most likely be in hold rather than one-handed. Kelly did a fun intermediate class at Greenwich a few years ago where she taught the beginner moves mirrored ie the lady passes on the left. The overwhelming feedback I got from women afterwards was that they knew it shouldn't make any difference, but it just felt wrong doing the moves on that side .

Ugh!

I went to WCS at Northampton last night - first class for a few weeks - and I took my camcorder along. I hope to have another private soon and wanted to see for myself what aspects of my dancing needed the most urgent attention. Watching back a bit of it last night I was half amused and half mortified to see that I too suffered the dreaded 'T-rex' look with whatever arm happened to be free at the time. In fact the most noticeable aspect of most of my dancing was my elbows - very angular and not a great aesthetic. I need to wear a shirt more often methinks.

Ok so it's a pretty long quote but there's useful stuff in there if you can get through it. (Oh and there's a shorter thought beneath it too)
    Learning to juggle
    I learnt to juggle the hard way. I was given a demonstration told how to throw the balls up, and left to get on with it. Fortunately I really wanted to learn. I struggled to keep the balls going, grabbing after them and contorting my body in tlie process. Nevertheless, it was great fun, and I persisted. After a few months practising for ten minutes a day I could keep three balls going and do a few tricks. Just as I was beginning to experiment I met a superb juggler who was also a patient teacher. He taught me many technical tricks and provided an excellent model. After a year and a half of intermetent practice I could do a reasonable routine with three and four balls and was working on five.

I realized that when juggling I was using about ten times more energy than necessary. Of course, I was already aware that continued practice made the whole process easier. 1 could certainly manage three balls with much less effort I could a year before. However, how the necessary effort had been reduced was a mystery.

The mystery began to clear as I became aware of what I was doing with myself in order to juggle. I observed that I supported myself by leaning on a stiffened left leg and that I overtensed in my neck, arms and shoulders while restricting my breathing, especially during difficult manoeuvres. In particular, I was struck by the amount of tension I created every time I caught a baII. These habits were obviously limiting my progress, and I was beginning to feel that certain tricks were beyond me. Maybe I’d reached the limit of my potential. Bad habits were not only blocking with my general functioning, but were also blocking my progress.

In order to experiment with my Use and to give my work on technique time to sink in, I stopped practising regularly for a few months. As soon as I started again, I noticed a subtle reduction in the amount of effort required. Perhaps I was only using about seven times more than I needed. When I tried to learn new variations, I was able to get a better 'feel' of what they might be like. Although my habit patterns were still present, their influence had diminished slightly. I became aware that I had always focused my attention on catching the balls rather than on throwing them. This helped to explain why I tensed up while catching.

I now began lo see the whole problem in the context of the Juggler’s ever present fear of dropping the balls. I had always tried to “get it right” by going directly for the end: catching the balls. Now I paid more attention to the process, to the throw, inhibiting any attempt to reach for the ball if it didn't land right m my hand, and soon I was juggling with my eyes closed.

The acid test was of course, public performance. More often than not I would revert to my old habits; but the quality of my of my juggling had nonetheless defineitely improved and my attitude to my fear of dropping the balls was changing. The feeling of panic that used to follow a drop could be controlled by a decision not to respond in a habitual way. Instead of rushing after the ball I would just stand there with a bemused look on my face. Usually the ball would bounce up and I could incorporate it into the rhythm of the act. There was always a member of the audience who said, 'He did that on purpose!' My ability to monitor performance was also increasing. Not only was I more in l with my juggling, but I was more aware of the crowd's reaction to my facial expression (grimaces and juggling just don't mix) and my own inner state. I seemed to be more 'centred'. This proved useful when I worked five nights a week as a 'court jester' in a restaurant specializing in 'medieval banquets'. The place was a juggler's nightmare: low ceilings, poor lighting, five hundred drunken tourists, and a bevy of harried 'wenches' and other performers with defective spatial awareness.

Teaching juggling
    The problem of learning to juggle can be solved in much easier way than the one I originally employed. A typical first lesson begins with a demonstration .and warm-up session. I then give each pupil a ball and ask him to play with it and at the same time to direct his attention to the feel of the ball and the amount of energy he uses to throw it. I then have him throw the ball in various trajectories and observe the effect on his balance, and, most important, I encourage him to get used to dropping the ball and enjoying it.

With this help the students eventually realize that control and balance can best be obtained by keeping the balls within an imaginary box. I then demonstrate the best trajectory for throwing a ball from one hand to the other within the box and ask them to close their eyes and visualize themselves throwing the ball from hand to hand. When they begin to practise, I ask them to avoid reaching for the ball if it is thrown outside the box, as this allows them to retain their balance. The next stage involves throwing one ball from right to left and one from left to right, symmetrically, in staggered timing. I divide the class into pairs and ask them to practise for a few minutes. The pupil who is not juggling is asked to observe, for his own Benefit, the manifestations of his partner's Use (what is happening to the head-neck relationship, the breathing and so on). They are also responsible for picking up the balls when they drop. The juggler begins by tossing the balls up in sequence and letting them drop. After some practice, he experiments with catching the first ball while letting the second drop and then with catching the second while the first drops. His responsibility is to attend to the quality of his throw and to inhibit his habitual response to the dropping of the balls, which almost invariably involves lunging after them. If a pupil does this repeatedly he sacrifices whatever equilibrium he has and begins to juggle, 'set' to lunge. When a pupil learns inhibition he starts to see that it is necessary to pause between every few throws in order to find his equilibrium. While he waits for his partner to retrieve the balls he is asked to remember his visualization of what he wants to happen.

The biggest problem to overcome in teaching juggling is the pupils' fear of unfamiliar territory. All of them want to 'get it right' from the beginning. Except for a few extraordinary individuals, this is simply not possible. Balls have to be dropped in order to learn. But most people are afraid of dropping the balls. They think it makes them look silly. Attention to the process seems to short-circuit these fears and gets results. Working on these principles I have found almost everyone who stays the course has a good time, learns to juggle, and also learns something about how to learn anything.

Learning to ride the unicycle
    The unicycle is guaranteed to stimulate anyone's fear of falling. Tlie rider is raised off the ground in a precarious balance; he can faII in three hundred and sixty directions! In order to ride properly, the cyclist must keep his bottom firmly on the seat, his upper body erect and his eyes looking forward. Unicycle riding requires in individual to go 'forward and up' The irony of learning to ride is that fear of falling results in the head being pulled back, which disturbs balance and inevitably causes a fall. When I first tried to get on a unicycle I fell off immediately. I soon discovered that I could stay up by supporting myself on a wall and, later, by using a broomstick as a cane. But when I tried to ride unsupported, my fear of falling quickly asserted itself. My inhibitory powers could not cope with the overwhelming Force of instinct, and I realized that I would have to overcome my fear in order to learn.

I set about doing this by giving up any idea of trying to stay up and instead practised falling off and enjoying it, believing that if I didn’t tense up I wouldn't get hurt. When I felt confident that could fall safely, I started thinking about staying up again, realizing that 1 had 'nothing to fear but fear itself’. Soon I was able to ride short distances

Body Learning ~ Michael Gelb
    One other concept that I'm currently testing and would welcome feedback on.

I was watching an episode of MacGyver (The Madonna) and a girl gets stage fright and can't go on. He explains to her that he also suffered when he had to do guitar recitals as a child, but that his mum had a magic word and when either of them would say it, everything would be alright.

Ok I admit, I was cyncial , I figured it would be "love" and because the script-writer is basically god, the girl would be 'cured' and everything would be fine - well it was the Christmas episode so a certain amount of smaltz is to be expected. So imagine my surprise when he revealed that the secret word is in fact - "Ice Cream" I've tried this out on a teenager who gets seriously panicy about something and it actually does seem to work . It has the ring to it of something someone's mum actually did in real life . Anyway try it - let me know - I'm curious if there's an age limit

Thread Information