• I'm under 30 and I couldn't hear it.

0 0%
  • I'm Over 30 and I couldn't hear it.

4 16.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you hear this?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Can you hear this?

I was using the laptop in my lounge played it and couldn't hear a thing, my 12 year old son who happened to be sitting over the other side of the room, turned round and said 'What's that?' Freaky! I called in my 15 year old and as he walked in I played it and he cringed and said 'Turn it off it's horrible.' I can't hear a thing, yet I have pretty good hearing (to make up for my bad eyes I guess ) I am slightly over 30

I tried it on my puppy too, she didn't go mad but she could definately hear it and was looking for the source.
    Last edited by Cruella; 19th-January-2008 at 12:31 PM.

I could hear it clearly, i couldnt stand that for long!!

Slightly off topic but related...I was sent a warning via another forum about noise emitted by energy saving light bulbs. It said that the noise was too high for humans to hear but it was audible to bats (yes it was a bat forum). I have an energy saving bulb in the room with my bats so I checked it out. When I turned on the bat detector, which converts high frequency sound into something we can hear, the noise was terrible and loud . It was a really awful continuous noise, between 20 and 50 kHz which covers the range of all of the bats I have. I've now swapped it for an ordinary bulb so my poor bats aren't having to listen to it anymore, but some people can hear at those frequencies, especially young children. Anyone have one of these bulbs in their children's bedroom? Have any children or keen-eared adults noticed any sound?

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    Slightly off topic but related...I was sent a warning via another forum about noise emitted by energy saving light bulbs. It said that the noise was too high for humans to hear but it was audible to bats (yes it was a bat forum). I have an energy saving bulb in the room with my bats so I checked it out. When I turned on the bat detector, which converts high frequency sound into something we can hear, the noise was terrible and loud . It was a really awful continuous noise, between 20 and 50 kHz which covers the range of all of the bats I have. I've now swapped it for an ordinary bulb so my poor bats aren't having to listen to it anymore, but some people can hear at those frequencies, especially young children. Anyone have one of these bulbs in their children's bedroom? Have any children or keen-eared adults noticed any sound?
    I hear them somtimes, more so when the light has just been switched and they're warming up.

I can hear that noise, pretty much had to turn it off instantly

I didn't think I could hear it at first (not surprising, I'm over 50!) but then put my ear close to the speaker : I can hear it all right, but it is the same frequency as my tinnitus (actually, the higher of two tones that I hear), so I don't notice it unless it is really loud.
    Yes, it is rather annoying!

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    Slightly off topic but related...I was sent a warning via another forum about noise emitted by energy saving light bulbs. It said that the noise was too high for humans to hear but it was audible to bats (yes it was a bat forum).
    So presumably all the bat fans are stocking up on traditional incandescent bulbs before they're all phased out?

(Although there's more than one type of low-energy bulb - some of the other types might be better?)
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    So presumably all the bat fans are stocking up on traditional incandescent bulbs before they're all phased out?

(Although there's more than one type of low-energy bulb - some of the other types might be better?)
    Yes we will! I'm going to clear the shelves of my local shop today It's a bit pricy to try all of the new types out, I'll wait until someone else does it and then just jump in at the end.

I can hear those audio cat deterers, I can hear a TV is on when it's muted, I can hear dog whistles and most "above human hearing" sounds - no doubt I could hear it... if my PC had sound

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I can hear those audio cat deterers, I can hear a TV is on when it's muted, I can hear dog whistles and most "above human hearing" sounds - no doubt I could hear it... if my PC had sound
    Are you a bat? I can't hear any of those things. I was once riding a horse up Leith Hill in Surrey when someone blew a dog whistle...I came down the hill rather faster than I would have liked

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Strangely I couldn't hear it before on my laptop but I played it just now on my main PC and it hurt my ears even though the actual 'noise' was very quiet.

Thread Information