Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something to think about!

Re: Something to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I'm not that old, but I was a kid in the 70s - believe me, they weren't that good. Economic decline, misery, union blackmails, racism, truly crap music, depression and flared trousers.
    Obviously, you were listening to too much Radio 1.

I was listening to - oo, Led Zeppelin II, Dark side of the moon, Nursery Cryme, Crisis? what crisis?, Aladdin Sane, Next, B-52s, Waiting for a miracle, Argybargy, New boots and panties, One step beyond, London calling - lots to be getting on with.

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    I do so prefer the British wit
    I'm a bit of a British wit m'self...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I'm a bit of a British twit m'self...
    Fixed that quote for you Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Fixed that quote for you Barry
    Miaouw.

Miaouw.
    Gggrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    The irony (for me) is that I don't agree with wearing suncreen - especially with the 'nano' particles in the new products....

I'm at a loss as to understand why anyone would not agree with wearing sunscreen? A little bit of sunlight is good for Vitamin D production, but anymore is bad for you.

Too much exposure to sun is a significant factor affecting your risk of getting skin cancer. Skin cancer is becoming more and more common, and wearing sunscreen is an easy adjustment to reduce your risk.

Harsh strong sunlight also ages your skin; people do judge on first appearances, and wrinkly damaged skin makes you look much older than you are.

It's factor 30+ for me!!

Re: Something to think about! - sunscreen

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I'm at a loss as to understand why anyone would not agree with wearing sunscreen? A little bit of sunlight is good for Vitamin D production, but anymore is bad for you.

Too much exposure to sun is a significant factor affecting your risk of getting skin cancer. Skin cancer is becoming more and more common, and wearing sunscreen is an easy adjustment to reduce your risk.

Harsh strong sunlight also ages your skin; people do judge on first appearances, and wrinkly damaged skin makes you look much older than you are.

It's factor 30+ for me!!
    ----------------------------

Well for me - I just stay out of the sun or covered up for the most part. Or get a 10 minute burst for a day.

In extremis I would try and select a non-nano sun shield.

If course, Australia is a different kettle of rays..........

Maybe the sun is not all that hot after all. I watched the film 'Sunshine' and one of the guys on the mission to 'fix' the sun actually ended up touching the sun - and it took a while before he was vaporised.

FYI........

May 17, 2006 - Sunscreens made with submicroscopic particles pose a health hazard and should be recalled, environmental groups said Tuesday in asking the government to increase regulation of growing uses of the science of nanotechnology.
    The petition asked the Food and Drug Administration to strengthen its regulation of sunscreens that contain nano-sized titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, saying particles of those minute dimensions pose health and environmental risks, including possible inflammatory and immune responses in the human body. Eight groups, including the International Center for Technology Assessment, Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace, filed the petition.

----------------
    We don't know enough about the safety of some nanoparticles, such as those already included in some cosmetics and sunscreens, a U.K. report has found.

The report, just released by the Royal Society and the Royal Academy of Engineering, calls for further studies on the safety of nanoparticles such as the ultrafine zinc oxide powders currently used in some Australian sunscreens.

The model Megan Gale launched one such product in Australia late last year. While the product was not specifically mentioned in the report, it contains zinc oxide particles 30 nanometers across.

----------------------------

Well for me - I just stay out of the sun or covered up for the most part. Or get a 10 minute burst for a day.

In extremis I would try and select a non-nano sun shield.

If course, Australia is a different kettle of rays..........

Maybe the sun is not all that hot after all. I watched the film 'Sunshine' and one of the guys on the mission to 'fix' the sun actually ended up touching the sun - and it took a while before he was vaporised.

FYI........

May 17, 2006 - Sunscreens made with submicroscopic particles pose a health hazard and should be recalled, environmental groups said Tuesday in asking the government to increase regulation of growing uses of the science of nanotechnology.
    The petition asked the Food and Drug Administration to strengthen its regulation of sunscreens that contain nano-sized titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, saying particles of those minute dimensions pose health and environmental risks, including possible inflammatory and immune responses in the human body. Eight groups, including the International Center for Technology Assessment, Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace, filed the petition.

----------------
    We don't know enough about the safety of some nanoparticles, such as those already included in some cosmetics and sunscreens, a U.K. report has found.

The report, just released by the Royal Society and the Royal Academy of Engineering, calls for further studies on the safety of nanoparticles such as the ultrafine zinc oxide powders currently used in some Australian sunscreens.

The model Megan Gale launched one such product in Australia late last year. While the product was not specifically mentioned in the report, it contains zinc oxide particles 30 nanometers across.

Any chance of referencing the source of the report, rather just the Royal Society please? I'm happy with the risk of inflammatory responses - if I get burnt, I get a rather significant inflammatory response (called sunburn). I use a nano-particle zinc oxide sunscreen lots of the time; whilst I try and stay out of the sun from 11 till 1pm, it's impractical to stay inside all day. The new 30+ aussie sunscreens really are waterproof for a couple of hours, and make a huge difference on whether you get sunburnt or not.

Any chance of referencing the source of the report, rather just the Royal Society please? I'm happy with the risk of inflammatory responses - if I get burnt, I get a rather significant inflammatory response (called sunburn). I use a nano-particle zinc oxide sunscreen lots of the time; whilst I try and stay out of the sun from 11 till 1pm, it's impractical to stay inside all day. The new 30+ aussie sunscreens really are waterproof for a couple of hours, and make a huge difference on whether you get sunburnt or not.
    Hi Steve

Well I read aboiut this a 2 or 3 years ago. If you google "sunscreen nano" (or variants you will get all the details with the links/sources etc.

And of course....you (ie Antipodeans) know a lot more about sunshine and the effects etc than someone like me. So my comments are only to increase awareness - and are not intended as any kind of definitive "this is good, that is bad" position.

From a grey, overcast UK..............

Obviously, you were listening to too much Radio 1.

I was listening to - oo, Led Zeppelin II, Dark side of the moon, Nursery Cryme, Crisis? what crisis?, Aladdin Sane, Next, B-52s, Waiting for a miracle, Argybargy, New boots and panties, One step beyond, London calling - lots to be getting on with.
    ...and Drums and Wires (XTC), and Tonic for the troops (Boomtown Rats), and Armed forces (Elvis Costello), and Born to run (Bruce Sprinsteen), and Goodbye yellow brick road (Elton John), and After the gold rush (Neil Young), and Desperado (Eagles), and Pretzel logic (Steely Dan), and Transformer (Lou Reed), and Brothers and sisters (Allman Brothers), and For your pleasure (Roxy Music), and Fog on the Tyne (Lindisfarne), and The Snow Goose (Camel), and Ram (Paul McCartney), and Layla and other assorted love songs (Derek and the Dominoes)...

(The earlier albums were by – where not obvious – Pink Floyd, Genesis, Supertramp, David Bowie, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Comsat Angels, Squeeze, Ian Dury, Madness, the Clash.)

Though not all to everybody’s taste, none of the above music is ‘crap’!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'm usually amused by American comedy, not British.

British humour relies on -

a. men dressing up as women.
    b. toilet humour.
    Tootsie was american man in drag

The 80s Movies Rewind « -- Home of '80s Retro Movies

so was Mrs Doubtfire Im afraid man in drag

Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)

Go to the clubs in the USA if you want to see 'toilet humour, its not allowed on TV nor is the F word

Hi Steve

Well I read aboiut this a 2 or 3 years ago. If you google "sunscreen nano" (or variants you will get all the details with the links/sources etc.

And of course....you (ie Antipodeans) know a lot more about sunshine and the effects etc than someone like me. So my comments are only to increase awareness - and are not intended as any kind of definitive "this is good, that is bad" position.

From a grey, overcast UK..............
    Thanks for the search suggestion about the nano particles - there was quite a bit of conflicting literature/thoughts there. However the rate of skin cancer is soo high here that I don't take the risk about not putting the high strength suncream on. I wonder if this concern also applies to quite a bit of ladies make-up; my understanding is that lots of make-up now protects against skin damage, and it also probably contains the nano sized zinc oxide particles.

I'm not Antipodean (born in Shropshire, moved around the UK a bit, and lived in Inverness for the last 7 years before coming to Oz for a couple of years transfer via work).

It's a fair point about staying out of the sun, but it's also nice going for a swim in the sea some of the time. However, weird as it initally may seem, I'm actually a bit envious of the UK weather at the moment. It's been really wet here for the last three weeks or so; so every evening it's really humid (24 degrees and 75% humidity), and it's not pleasant trying to get to sleep when it is this sticky. I'm envious of those people able to have a long lie-in snuggled underneath the duvet, as opposed to having to get up at 8am as the bedroom starts to get too hot with the sun on it.

...and [I]Fog on the Tyne ...
    Though not all to everybody’s taste, none of the above music is ‘crap’!!!
    The only [I]Fog on the Tyne[I] I'm aware of was sung by Gazza; I'm impressed by the wide variety of your musical tastes.

The only [I]Fog on the Tyne[I] I'm aware of was sung by Gazza; I'm impressed by the wide variety of your musical tastes.

Good grief. I'd forgotten about that. I wouldn't want to be horrible to Gazza, but his version was a minor crime against music.

The Fog on the Tyne I referreed to is an 'ellpee', what we old fellers used to call 'an album'. As well as the title track there were a whole bunch of great songs: the opener, a successful single, Meet me on the corner, then Alright on the night, Uncle Sam, Together forever, City song and Train in G major.

Although I do have the vinyl, CD or mp3 version of every one of the lps mentioned, the point is that there was an absolute avalanche of great music in the 70s. Arguably more diversity than in any subsequent decade.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    Agree with this point - and not just relating to the UK. Sexism and racism still exists (maybe not to the same extent), just that it's a no-no to express it and act on it publicly - but doesn't mean it doesn't still exist.
    It still exists, yes, but it is not a society norm by any means - in the past it most certainly WAS. I don't think you can understate that point. We now have the situation where men and white people are discriminated against too, so at least we have equality with our bigoted groups - i give it another 100 years or so to even out a bit, as long as the influence of the less civilised foreign peoples are kept in check

no controversy here...move along

I was looking at the choice of music on a pub jukebox last night.

Talk about nostalgia - I think I was drooling.

If only we could have more 70's music at Ceroc.

Regarding racism as comedy.

Does anyone remember "Love Thy Neighbour?, a sit com.

Also the Comedian Charlie Williams?

Lenny henry started out in the vein of Charlie Williams.

When he got in with the Comedy Club lot - Dawn French, Ade Edmondton etc., they were appauled at how he was putting himself down to get laughs. So he changed his Modus Oparani and is still a sucessful comedian.

Thread Information