Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to think about!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Something to think about!

This is so true
    The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Motorways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable nappies, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a penny.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Something to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    This is so true
    well bits of it are true, other bits are nonsense written in a pretentious way

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    well bits of it are true, other bits are nonsense written in a pretentious way
    So, which bits are nonsense DS?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Ooooh, I'll take this one:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers,
    Why do building heights correlate in any way with emotional states? And who says we have shorter tempers?

wider Motorways, but narrower viewpoints.
    Ditto - also, I'd completely disagree that we (in the UK?) have narrower viewpoints. For example, Compare our attitudes now to those we had 50+ years ago, with regard to gender, race, and sexuality.

We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less.
    Rubbish.

We have bigger houses and smaller families,
    True, that's called demographics.

more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.
    Errr... OK...

The rest of it's pretty much the same - the only bits I agree with are the "remember" bits at the end.

In this vein, I like Baz Lurhrman's 'Sunscreen' lyrics, reproduced here without kind permission.

The irony (for me) is that I don't agree with wearing suncreen - especially with the 'nano' particles in the new products....

------------------------------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of 08...Wear sunscreen

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded. But trust me, in 20 years youll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you cant grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked...Youre not as fat as you imagine.

Dont worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing everyday that scares you

Sing

Dont be reckless with other peoples hearts, dont put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss

Dont waste your time on jealousy; sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind...the race is long, and in the end its only with yourself.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch

Dont feel guilty if you dont know what to do with your life...the most interesting people I know didnt know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still dont.

Get plenty of calcium

Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you wont, maybe you'll have children, maybe you wont, maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary...what ever you do, dont congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either - your choices are half chance, so are everybody elses.

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can...dont be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, its the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance...even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions, even if you dont follow them.

Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents, youll never know when theyll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but for the precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography in lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths, price will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old, and when you do youll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Dont expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one might run out.

Dont mess too much with your hair, or by the time its 40, it will look 85.

Be careful who advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'm very surprised you need to ask

DJ has done most of it, but I could add that - "A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete..." is particularly pretentious. "Insight" is not what I would call it

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I do like this quote...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
    I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let's evolve, and let the chips fall where they may.

Blog Entries

oh for goodness sakes.

Why cant it just be a nice piece of writing that makes you think about how you treat others instead of it being torn apart and criticised. That makes you think about what you have in life and what you dont give back rather than criticise how it doesn't make sense.

Jeeez...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Why cant it just be a nice piece of writing that makes you think about how you treat others instead of it being torn apart and criticised.
    Because:
    A/ This is a discussion forum, not some sort of hippy poetry-reading commune
    B/ It's really not a nice piece of writing - it says some things well, but mostly it's a bit shallow IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Because:
    A/ This is a discussion forum, not some sort of hippy poetry-reading commune
    B/ It's really not a nice piece of writing - it says some things well, but mostly it's a bit shallow IMO.
    whatever.

Donna

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can...dont be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, its the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance...even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.
    This is my favourite part of the song. Plus I actually follow the rule. I dance in my living room a lot... not good when you've got someone sitting on the sofa who is extremely anti-dance.
    Last edited by Donna; 17th-January-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    This is my favourite part of the song.
    {lightbulb}

Baz Luhrman - unbelievably inept and meandering lyrics - it's not from the utterly execrable Moulin Rouge, is it?

As for the original post: much of it sounds familiar so I 'spect I've seen the whole thing before. Though I am loathe to be disparaging toward the well-intentioned, it is to 'thought-provoking' what Carry on films are to humour (90 minutes gone from your life and only a couple of sniggers to show for it).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    As for the original post: much of it sounds familiar so I 'spect I've seen the whole thing before. Though I am loathe to be disparaging toward the well-intentioned, it is to 'thought-provoking' what Carry on films are to humour (90 minutes gone from your life and only a couple of sniggers to show for it).
    Hey, don't diss Carry On films - they're fantastic. Especially up the khyber, it's a masterpiece.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    although ironically, Carry On films set in a hospital look appealing and well managed compared to reality now Nowadays "oooh matron" would be "ooh IT support -the patients records are missing and I cant logon "

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    whatever.
    (annoying but still cute!)

Why do building heights correlate in any way with emotional states?
    I think you're being a bit literal. The point being made is that the more wealthy and affluent we are as a society, the less happy and content we are.

And who says we have shorter tempers?
    Well no-one could say that about you. You're a positive little ray of sunshine.

Ditto - also, I'd completely disagree that we (in the UK?) have narrower viewpoints. For example, Compare our attitudes now to those we had 50+ years ago, with regard to gender, race, and sexuality.
    That's just a change in fashion, not necessarily a widening of viewpoints.

Rubbish.
    It's not rubbish. That's totally spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'm very surprised you need to ask

DJ has done most of it, but I could add that - "A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete..." is particularly pretentious. "Insight" is not what I would call it
    OK, that is a bit pretentious.

This is a discussion forum, not some sort of hippy poetry-reading commune
    Ooooh, let's start up a hippy poetry-reading commune.

Ooooh, let's start up a hippy poetry-reading commune.

Thread Information