View Poll Results: How important is dance to you ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to know the count/speed etc .......

10 30.30%
  • I like short to the point lessons

11 33.33%
  • I prefer the more technical lessons

13 39.39%
  • I only like the freestyle

8 24.24%
  • I only need the basics

2 6.06%
  • I prefer workshops

8 24.24%
  • I prefer privates

4 12.12%
  • Don't mind how low the lesson is

2 6.06%
  • Get frustrated when lesson too long

12 36.36%
  • Anything else (please see below)

6 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How important is THE dance to you ? (Getting it right!)

Commercial Operator

Re: How important is THE dance to you ? (Getting it right!)

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    The Pavlova dessert was named after her. Although its origins are disputed with both New Zealand and Australia claiming the credit, the actual earliest first entry of the recipe is found in New Zealand recipe books of the period, before those in Australia. Te Papa - New Zealand's new national museum in Wellington celebrated its first birthday in February 1999 with the creation of the world's largest Pavlova, named "Pavzilla", cut by New Zealand's Prime Minister of the time - the Hon. Jenny Shipley.
    Well - I'd like to say that I knew this when I made that comment... but I didn't - it was just supposed to be a silly off-the-cuff remark. Goes to show.

Having said all that.... 'Pavzilla'???? Oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Well - I'd like to say that I knew this when I made that comment... but I didn't - it was just supposed to be a silly off-the-cuff remark. Goes to show.

Having said all that.... 'Pavzilla'???? Oh dear
    the topic is about how important the dance is to you...and about getting it right (sorry - didn't get that your comment was tongue-in-cheek)

Commercial Operator

Re: How important is THE dance to you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    When I say "How important is dance to you" I meant, does it always have to be broken down in such a way that you end up loosing interest.

I should have titled the thread "How important is THE dance to you"
    To try and redeem myself for the off-topic remarks

Honestly? It'd be hard to lose my interest by breaking it down (breaking it down well, anyway.) - a good way, in fact, to lose my interest is to not break it down enough. (sorry 'bout the split infinitive )

Aside from anything else - break something down well enough, and you often come down to core techniques that can be used in a variety of other moves, or to invent your own based on the one you're learning. So ... yes. Keep feeding me detail. Pretty please

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    I much prefer dancing with people who are technically very good. Good technique makes someone easier to dance with, it makes them look better when they dance and it makes them more flexible in their dancing.

The dance is very important to me and I aspire to being technically correct, I also enjoy the process of learning but only if its in an environment conducive to 'proper' learning and with like-minded people.

I respect people who have taken the time and effort to learn good technique and LOVE dancing with them but not if it comes at the expense of fun and passion.

I personally no longer get anything out of regular week night MJ classes but that's OK, as I've recently come to the conclusion that maybe weeknight classes shouldn't focus too much on the technical. Although safety, of course, should never be compromised.

I now see weekly classes as merely an introduction to partner dancing, a way to take Joe Bloggs, with no previous dance experience to a level where he can enjoy an evening's freestyling.

I know its shocking but dancing isn't the 'be all and end all' for the majority of MJ punters, most are happy to grasp the basics and string a few moves together.

Therefore it makes commercial sense for franchise owners to make sure their classes are easy, fast moving and most importantly, FUN!

The dancers who want to learn more, should be encouraged to further attend workshops and or private lessons.

I went to the last hour of a local class recently, just for the freestyle and can honestly say.. I DIDN'T have a decent dance all night.

My hand was bounced and squeezed by offending thumbs. I was crashed into, I nearly had my arm ripped out my socket and I was forced into 3 inappropriate drops. Not to mention the people who stood on the dance floor 'chatting'!

But redressing the balance, I had a stream of very lovely compliments, a round of applause (which was a joke, as I don't think i've danced so badly in years) and an offer of marriage!! So at least I left with a smile on my face!

AND the place was absolutely heaving and everyone seemed extremely happy!! So, technique CLEARLY isn't important to everyone!
    Last edited by Lory; 23rd-January-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    The Pavlova dessert was named after her. Although its origins are disputed with both New Zealand and Australia claiming the credit, the actual earliest first entry of the recipe is found in New Zealand recipe books of the period, before those in Australia. Te Papa - New Zealand's new national museum in Wellington celebrated its first birthday in February 1999 with the creation of the world's largest Pavlova, named "Pavzilla", cut by New Zealand's Prime Minister of the time - the Hon. Jenny Shipley.
    Firstly:
    We beat the Aussies*!

Secondly:
    There is nothing Honorable about Jenny Shipley. She got into power by political coup when the PM was in the USA, touted the fact that she was the countries first woman PM despite the fact that absolutely nobody voted for her, and then had power ripped away from her in a similar coup by a petulant child who managed to take the National party to within an inch of "Minor Party" status at the next elections.

[/petty rant]

*It happens so rarely these days we have to make the most out of it when it does. Even the historical moments....

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

I personally no longer get anything out of regular week night MJ classes but that's OK, as I've recently come to the conclusion that maybe weeknight classes shouldn't focus too much on the technical. Although safety, of course, should never be compromised.
    I try to do the intermediate class as a warm up for the old muscles, and hopefully lose a bit of weight. Occasionally I learn a new move too. But when I stopped doing the classes I seemed to have more aches and pains.

But redressing the balance, I had a stream of very lovely compliments, a round of applause (which was a joke, as I don't think i've danced so badly in years) and an offer of marriage!! So at least I left with a smile on my face!
    Will you be taking up the offer of marriage?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Will you be taking up the offer of marriage?
    I don't think so!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

I now see weekly classes as merely an introduction to partner dancing, a way to take Joe Bloggs, with no previous dance experience to a level where he can enjoy an evening's freestyling.
    That’s really interesting – I’ve noticed quite a degree of boredom setting in with my local class, which has saddened me. Last week, as I posted elsewhere, we did have someone try to teach us some technique, most of which was ignored by the leads. I felt like a mannequin being hauled around… though last night’s class was a lot better for me. It was quite a challenging set of moves, so I was able to listen carefully and provide assistance to the leads who weren’t getting it (or who thought that they weren’t when in fact they were!)

I did think about doing the beginners and learning to lead to liven things up a bit but won’t as I’ve but realised that I’m actually more interested in following and learning a new dance style.

Unlike Lory I did then have some good dances afterwards (Lory’s probably more demanding than me!), so I guess that my thoughts about maybe just going to the freestyle element of the evening might be worth following through on, maybe every other week or something – though that will seriously annoy my non-forum friend…

So, time to move out of my comfort zone...

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I felt like a mannequin being hauled around…
    That is the only thing I don't like about the classes and was why I stopped doing them for a few months. However, I tell myself not to be so precious.

I did think about doing the beginners and learning to lead to liven things up a bit but won’t as I’ve but realised that I’m actually more interested in following and learning a new dance style.
    I feel the same way.

I'm sure Lory once posted that she herself doesn't lead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    (Lory’s probably more demanding than me!),
    Who told you that?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'm sure Lory once posted that she herself doesn't lead.
    No, that's right, I don't! Although, I am starting to learn the mens footwork patterns in WCS, as I get asked for help quite a bit.
    I can always 'feel' if somethings wrong and can often sort out the leads arms but the feet remain a mystery!

Plus, when I think about it, I've never been injured in a class (TOUCH WOOD).

All my injuries have occured during freestyle.

Blog Entries

Dancing on class nights is boring for me, even the freestyle afterwards does not offer any sort of great inspiring moves as most are beginners and most regulars are as you say just dancing the moves which they enjoy but for me danceing needs to have, eye contact, musicality, passion and connection. I call these nights calorie burners and during the week i expect nothing so if one little star comes along, its a lovely surprise.

Freestyles - good ones, come few and far between. It doesn't help that i can only do every other weekend but when they do come, its wonderful.

For me, blues is my favourite dancing and there are not many venues that have that on offer so i will always try and attend a venue that has the choice.

The dance is important to me but not enough to stop me attending the regular nights which although sometimes boring, socially can be great.

I would love to dance better and think I learn best in short workshops with not many other people. I would like to have a private lesson but do not think I could justify the expense as I would probably not be able to digest all the criticism at once! I am toying with this a a present to someone I know with superior learning skills. Who would people recommend, if anyone, and how much does it cost? He is in his early 20s and really admires Emma's style of dancing. Also if you have a private lesson is it better to have it with someone of the same sex or opposite?

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    He is in his early 20s and really admires Emma's style of dancing.
    Ah, but does he want to dance like Emma dances ? Could take a few lessons ! (Just joking - no idea who you/he are !)

You can both learn by watching and learn by doing - you learn different things.
    Emma & Alex's beginners DVD (aka 'Turn your home into a Ceroc venue') is a good introduction to her style. Not sure how well it works for a man, though.

Bringing it back towards the topic: there is no one single MJ technique that could be called 'THE dance' in practice. This forum is already full of debates between the different factions ! On any night at any venue run by any organiser you will come across a rich diversity of techniques & styles. It is (usually) part of the fun of MJ. Which does your friend want to learn ? Has he been around to meet a few teachers ? What does he want to improve ? He could always start a thread here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    Also if you have a private lesson is it better to have it with someone of the same sex or opposite?
    Man/man dancing is 'something else' - see those threads on this forum. Could be quite awkward in a 1:1 gift. I don't think much would be gained by a theoretical hands-off discussion without actually dancing.

I have no experience of 'privates', but I guess (from workshops) it might be best if a couple went to learn (cheaper?), maybe even with a couple of teachers (or 1+demo) (expensive?).

Thread Information