View Poll Results: How important is dance to you ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to know the count/speed etc .......

10 30.30%
  • I like short to the point lessons

11 33.33%
  • I prefer the more technical lessons

13 39.39%
  • I only like the freestyle

8 24.24%
  • I only need the basics

2 6.06%
  • I prefer workshops

8 24.24%
  • I prefer privates

4 12.12%
  • Don't mind how low the lesson is

2 6.06%
  • Get frustrated when lesson too long

12 36.36%
  • Anything else (please see below)

6 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is THE dance to you ? (Getting it right!)

Re: How important is THE dance to you ? (Getting it right!)

The dancers (leads and follows) who I admire most - and I consider the 'best' (imho) dancers - are not technicians - they are 'natural' dancers - and focused on fun and musical interpretation.

For me........I do need to break things down - especially footwork. And I remember being told in a refresher class - "You're trying to analyse it too much".

Since then, I've tried to move to feeling things more naturally - which works up to a point, although footwork is still a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Off thread.......... I thought that if you can't hear the music because of a hearing problem, then you follow the base - could be wrong tho

It is hard for me to try and feel the bass in the vibrations on the floor as i am constantly moving around, so i dont get to stay still and feel it more. i can feel it the most or hear with hearing aid when i am sitting having a rest.

I just tend to follow the lead, or keep my eye on the person i know is good with music for example tiggerbabe or lorna as they would know the actual beats.

Re: How important is dance to you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    ... Dance is fun, it's a social thing, I get to meet my friends , have a laugh and get out of the house. It's not something I'd want to do every night of the week. ...
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

However, that was not always my view. There was a time in my life (well .. several times, actually) when dance was the most important thing in my life. But the types of dances I was doing then were different too. When I was a child up till my mid-teens, all I wanted was to be a ballet dancer. Technique, understanding dance & music, performance, choreography etc.. were all vitally important to me, as they had to be. Then I took up ballroom dancing, and the same elements were again crucial to my enjoyment of the dance - I wanted to be good at it and learning technique etc. etc. was the only way! Then I moved on to other dance styles (too many to mention) which also required learning a substantial degree of technique etc. etc. I loved the technical bits - we were so hungry for knowledge that we travelled abroad frequently and spent a fortune to learn from the best and compete against the best.

Then we retired from competitive dancing. And I realised that there was more to life than dancing. Like work and a career (and scuba-diving).

So now, I'm with Beo ...

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    The dancers (leads and follows) who I admire most - and I consider the 'best' (imho) dancers - are not technicians - they are 'natural' dancers
    But what is a 'natural' dancer and how do you know these people are that?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    This is not any kind of 'official' terminology - it's JiveLadSpeak. For me it's to do with innate ability to move, co-ordinate, have rhythm, feel, relax, co-ordinate with partner. It does not mean they get every move spot on perfect......... they don't need to. They can dance without having to do set patterns/routines of moves.

How do I know?

By watching them, talking to them - and, dancing with them.

Oh - and it's nothing to do with having 10+ years experience either. Possible to be a 'natural' after 1 week MJ.

Call me old fashioned .... call me simple (or uncomplicated), I simply like to be told what to do, and to do it (monkey see, monkey do), and then to see how my body feeds back, to let me know how much (or little) it liked that movement!!

My brain may possible work out the whys and the wherefores (probably at about 3am) ... or maybe doesn't! I don't need, and quite often ignore any explanations! Having said that I do like any commentary on how a move or movement might feel.

Funnily enough, in my previous work as a motorcycle instructor, those who were easiest to teach by a huge margin (and seemed to pick up the new skills quicker) were those from (civilian or military) forces.

They simply did what was bidden without question, and certainly did not try to add anything themselves. I like to think that they were simply recognising the training as a process, to then add onto for themselves at a later date.

That's not to suggest that instruction is not open to being questioned, but certainly ought to be tried out once or twice before being questioned!

My enjoyment comes from being able to follow well and dancing with someone who I connect with well - doesn't mean I know them well, just that energetically we get on well on the dancefloor.
    For me to be able to follow well comes from having learnt good technical basics of the dance. Feedback from leads on good follows has been that the follow is in the right place at the right time - and this can be due to having the correct foot or arm in the right place for certain steps. So when I first learn a partner dance I want to know all the technical stuff and make it as second nature as I can. Then it makes following soooo much easier and the dance a joy!
    I agree that I find classes boring when they get dragged out. I do prefer a more technical class than one that just brushes over steps. Some of the dragging out could be reduced if teachers were able to assist those having trouble with the steps or at least noticing where most people were having difficult and focus on that in the class. Usually the classes drag out because pupils aren't getting the steps.

Commercial Operator

I love certain aspects of the technical process.
    I'm not particularly concerned with the 'right' or 'wrong' way to do a move - a lot of my favourite teachers tend to start workshops with a disclaimer that they're not trying to show you the 'right' way, but rather a way that works for them... so you try it on for size, use it if it works for you, and forget it if it doesn't.

When I'm learning though - I do want detail. I'm not so interested on whether I'm pigeon toed, or doing the wrong styling thing with my arms... but I am interested in being able to lead the move confidently and in a smooth, connected fashion with lots of different followers... and above that, I want to be able to get the most out of the move. So I am quite happy (for example) to spend 45 minutes or so focussing on one technique for leading a back-step - and have done on more than one occasion.

Basically, I want the dance to feel great, for both myself and my partner. I'm far less bothered about how it looks (although I'd prefer not to look like a total muppet).

How important is dance to you ?

I get soooooooooooo confused with all this technical jargon thrown about on this forum

I know it is important if you are a dance teacher, but what if you just want to dance for fun

And ........... I prefer dance instructor not to get too technical, I just want to know the patterns/steps not why they are there

What is your opinion ?
    I get easily confused with too much technicality, i prefer to work that side out for myself. After fluffing the move whilst practicing it i usualy work out what foot/hand goes where and why.

Re: How important is THE dance to you ?

... However, dancers IMO are different ISFA some always have to break down every step of a dance when discussing it.

When I am told I am using the wrong foot or my hand is in the wrong place - it gets me cross ! I go dancing to enjoy myself, I know I am not technically correct and that is why I don't enter competitions...
    I am happy if I believe my partner is enjoying herself. I don't care how we look to any great degree. If we are making mistakes, but are laughing about it, I am happy.

However - If, in a lesson there is a move or technique that I want to learn, I have to learn how to lead it. Often that takes multiple things to happen at once, and all to be right. Sometimes, for me, it it essential that the technique has to be taught in minute detail, and very slowly.
    "Twist the hand so"
    "Place your foot on the floor at an angle, so"
    "Just as she is about to put her foot on the floor"
    I have been "Taught" too many moves that I liked, but find impossible to make work in freestyle because it takes that level of detail to make them work. I very rarely find that in a standard Ceroc class.

Re: How important is THE dance to you ?

When I am told I am using the wrong foot or my hand is in the wrong place - it gets me cross ! I go dancing to enjoy myself, I know I am not technically correct and that is why I don't enter competitions.
    I don't care how technically correct my partner is, as long as they are having fun.
    I do care about how technically accurate I am, but I don't let it spoil my enjoyment.

When I say "How important is dance to you" I meant, does it always have to be broken down in such a way that you end up loosing interest.
    I don't think anyone wants it to be broken down in such a way that they loose interest - what you really mean is where does the point of interest cease being interesting... personally I've not found that break point yet

I much prefer dancing with people who are technically very good. Good technique makes someone easier to dance with, it makes them look better when they dance and it makes them more flexible in their dancing. The reasons behind all of this are pretty simple. Good technique makes you more precise and controlled in your dancing.

A simple example should make it clear. When dancing with someone, you constantly use a simple return (which is really an underarm spot turn with a step-back). Someone with good technique will return on the spot, complete the turn in a single beat and step back on the next beat. Someone with bad technique may take a little longer, may travel in their turn, and may not turn a full 360. All of which requires the lead to compensate for the follow's bad technique (and, yes, the reverse is just as true). It also means that all the variations one can throw into a return (double-speed, over- or under- turn, draw in to a comb variant, etc) are more difficult to throw in. In some cases, you have to lead a second return to compensate for the bad first return... Poor technique very quickly becomes the limiting factor in the dance.

I've danced regularly at about six or seven different venues in my life as a dancer (that is, at least once a week over a period of six or more months). One was particularly strong on teaching technique in classes and produced the best dancers - by a huge margin. And at this studio, I also enjoyed freestyle the most and developed the most as a dancer myself. Another was particularly uninterested in teaching technique and consistently produced the worst dancers (my own dancing, if anything, got worse whilst there). The others all slot in the middle and there is a consistent and strong relationship between the level and quality of technique taught and the quality of the dancing at the studio.

Technique is good in its place. For example, lessons. For me, a lesson without technique is, at best, guided practice. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Technique is bad in the wrong place. For example, I prefer not to use the technique problems of others as an excuse for my inability to dance with them. This is particularly important since "good technique" varies between dances and between teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    ...I prefer not to use the technique problems of others as an excuse for my inability to dance with them.
    Does that mean you dance equally well with everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Apparently Anna Pavlova DIDN'T have an exceptional technique, she also had weak legs and not a very good turnout.

Yet she was possibly one of the best ballarinas epecially when dancing with Nijinsky.

Another point is that in the ballet world, it's all about chemistry between the the male and female dancers.

There was a HUGE chemisty between Pavlova and Nijinsky.
    Last edited by Astro; 21st-January-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    Does that mean you dance equally well with everyone?
    No, it doesn't mean that.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Apparently Anna Pavlova DIDN'T have an exceptional technique, she also had weak legs and not a very good turnout.

Yet she was possibly one of the best ballarinas epecially when dancing with Nijinsky.

Another point is that in the ballet world, it's all about chemistry between the the male and female dancers.

The point being - they were great dancers of their time - not the current time. The dance and technique has obviously evolved since then.
    In the dance world in general (and not just the ballet world), the dancers who are the most lovely to watch are those that have good chemistry between them.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    She was a great meringue chef too...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    But could she dance merengue?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    The Pavlova dessert was named after her. Although its origins are disputed with both New Zealand and Australia claiming the credit, the actual earliest first entry of the recipe is found in New Zealand recipe books of the period, before those in Australia. Te Papa - New Zealand's new national museum in Wellington celebrated its first birthday in February 1999 with the creation of the world's largest Pavlova, named "Pavzilla", cut by New Zealand's Prime Minister of the time - the Hon. Jenny Shipley.
    Pavlova is a meringue dessert named after the Russian ballet dancer, Anna Pavlova.[1] It is crispy on the outside but light and fluffy inside.
    The dessert is believed to have been created to honour the dancer during or after one of her tours to Australia and New Zealand. The exact location of its first creation and the nationality of its creator has been a source of argument between the two countries for many years.
    The dessert is a popular dish and an important part of the national cuisine of both countries, and is frequently eaten during celebratory or party meals such as Christmas dinner.

Sorry for getting the thread off-track......

Thread Information