Thread: Best of the Best?

Best of the Best?

Finally got round to watching the 2007 Ceroc Champs. Went straight through to the Open Semi's ... and was instantly depressed. Went back to the heats, but that just extinguished what faint glimmer of hope I had. Reason? Simple, the dancers were AWESOME. Event in the heats, there was something that set these dancers apart. The difference between these guys and (nearly all) of the Advanced dancers was clear to see. For years I've looked at the off DVD and thought, Yup ... bit of practice and maybe I could get through the first round. I think 2007 was the year when it really hit me, the guys at the top of the game really are streets ahead.

And why? Personal view is that not only are these guys pretty damn goods to start with, they've put serious amount of time and effort in to improve. Practising several times a week weekly, getting coaching ... all the stuff you'd expect from people in any other sport where you want to compete at National level.

So ... thought I, is it time where we have the 'Rest' of us mortals competing at the Intermediate and Advanced level, and recognise the 'Best' for what they are and create a 'National' standard .... maybe something similar to what C2D are trying to do, but making it clear that this category is for the 'SuperStars' or whatever they call them in Line Dancing. It takes so much ability and time to make this top level that just globally including teachers in this category no longer makes sense. Thinking about all the teachers across the North of England, I can think of very few who would be able to compete against these guys without, quite frankly, looking embaressingly ordinary. Time for a change?

Re: Best of the Best?

I thought you had started a thread about the JCVD film of said name

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    I thought you had started a thread about the JCVD film of said name
    Hmmm agree wasn't the best title, and probably didn't explain myself very well, but was hoping someone may have a perspective on the gap (or not depending on your view) between the Mortals and the (deserved) Elite.

Donna

I think you'll find that those who are on top are the ones who also have other dance experience. Latin dancers for e.g will still look latin in a ceroc competition, but without the disciplined part of it and still you can see how much more structured it is compared to those who have entered a MJ comp without any knowledge of any other style.

That is the best thing about MJ, is that after learning for a year or two, you come to a dead end and can't possibly learn that much more, so people turn to other styles and bring it into their MJ. You make it what is at the end of the day.

I find the standard is getting higher now WCS has come on the scene. There's more funky footwork coming into the MJ comps, fused together with latin. It's quite interesting when you see how it's changed over the years.
    Last edited by Donna; 16th-January-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Finally got round to watching the 2007 Ceroc Champs. Reason? Simple, the dancers were AWESOME. Event in the heats, there was something that set these dancers apart.

Did you not see me then....

only some my friend.. only some

I did think that there were some awsome dancers... was way out of my league!! lots of great ones didn't get through... the final was incredibly strong tho I thought

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Hmmm agree wasn't the best title, and probably didn't explain myself very well, but was hoping someone may have a perspective on the gap (or not depending on your view) between the Mortals and the (deserved) Elite.
    Talent ? Apparently you can't buy it, not even at B&Q

All it takes is patience.

I have booked myself ...

A crash course in patience at a local college...

I will let you know how i get on.

XXX XX DTS Dave

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hudson View Post
    Did you not see me then....

only some my friend.. only some

I did think that there were some awsome dancers... was way out of my league!! lots of great ones didn't get through the final was incredibly strong tho I thought
    but it was fun wasnt it!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    All it takes is patience.

I have booked myself ...

A crash course in patience at a local college...

I will let you know how i get on.

XXX XX DTS Dave
    I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hudson View Post
    lots of great ones didn't get through... the final was incredibly strong tho I thought
    Hmmm ... is the time right to start the perennial thread about how some judges don't seem to score musical interpretation but seem to be impressed by flash moves and choreographed sequences? ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I can't wait.
    neither can I.

Thread Information