Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You Whore Diana

Re: You Whore Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    You may be asking the wrong group of people. How many here read the Sun? Or any other tabloid? Or maybe people just don’t admit to it.
    I may indeed, the forum is hardly a representative portion of the population. But I find hard to believe that among the 811 active members of this forum there isn't one occasional reader who could shed some light for me...

And anyway independently of the seriousness of responses here, I just wanted to express my utter shock having to see the W word as I was innocently queuing to buy my tea, and at work if that wasn't enough. I thought this was almost equivalent to the C word, and certainly worse than the F word. Or may be I just got that wrong and whore also means pretty little flower.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    There is no such thing as 'normal'.
    I'm normal. Its everyone else that isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Or may be I just got that wrong and whore also means pretty little flower.
    indeed...

whore (hôr, hr)
    n.
    1. A prostitute.
    2. A person considered sexually promiscuous.
    3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.
    4. A pretty little flower

I'm assuming the thread title above is acceptable language as I've seen it today on the front page of a 'newspaper' (cough, cough), font 90 capital letters and all.

I really don't get this country so may be someone can help me. How come you (British) guys seem to have so much adoration for Diana, the beloved generous princess tragically killed in a car accident, and yet come up with a front page like that ? That really defies my understanding, so grateful for anybody to try and makes sense of this for me
    There's a princess / whore thing that I once read about. Basically there was a long-standing, much beloved comic book character who actually became a princess - and a different writer was put in charge and took her in rather a different direction. Apparently a large number of her fans simply refuse to accept that the stories he wrote ever happened. The writer who took over after that wrote an interesting article about it and how the fans felt that she could either be a fairy-tale princess or have a sex life, but not both. It's the problem with "labels". Rather than just accept Diana was a person, she has to be "X" or "Y" and obey the Rules that people feel "X" or "Y" should follow.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why did you consider her a freak?
    Well, all those 200+ texts harassing Dr Khan, all those "I can't stand the media, but please come to my Top-Secret Midnight Visit To The Hospital" stunts, she just seemed nutty to me. Well, she was a bit nutty - but the details coming out make her a bit more normal in my eyes.

What is a freak to you?
    WCS dancers?

. I don't like the word freak! (Can you tell) It reminds me of people being cruel because of someone having something unique about them. There is no such thing as 'normal'.
    Errr... OK.

*DJ backs away from scary woman... *

And anyway independently of the seriousness of responses here, I just wanted to express my utter shock having to see the W word as I was innocently queuing to buy my tea, and at work if that wasn't enough. I thought this was almost equivalent to the C word, and certainly worse than the F word. Or may be I just got that wrong and whore also means pretty little flower.
    I'd say it was of a far lower calibre than either the F or C words - just a rather more emotive word for prostitute, but not really shocking...

Oh dear Caro my little innocent, how are you going to survive in the big bad City?!

Try and remember that Diana was the Virgin turned into a Princess. Then she became a real woman, started f***ing and clearly disappointed all the tabloid editors

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    she could either be a fairy-tale princess or have a sex life, but not both. It's the problem with "labels". Rather than just accept Diana was a person, she has to be "X" or "Y" and obey the Rules that people feel "X" or "Y" should follow.
    That's because people like to be judgemental of others, so that they can feel virtuous about their small misdemeanors in comparison.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Then she became a real woman, started f***ing and clearly disappointed all the tabloid editors

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Try and remember that Diana was the Virgin turned into a Princess. Then she became a real woman, started f***ing and clearly disappointed all the tabloid editors
    disappointed ?? You must be joking - she was a failsafe, if there was no real news that would make up something about Diana .

I'd say it was of a far lower calibre than either the F or C words - just a rather more emotive word for prostitute, but not really shocking...
    really ? Hadn't realised. I thought it was a really very gross and vulgar word. My bad then.

Oh dear Caro my little innocent, how are you going to survive in the big bad City?!
    you know what ? I'm really starting to believe that I am a little too innocent.

is London that scary ? :veryscarednow:

Smile Re: You Whore Diana

I don't believe that calling her a whore is appropriate. A whore by definition is payed for her services. From what I understand that was not the case or is even suggested to be.

She was a millionaireess in her own right before she married, and in the tradition of the Royal Familly kept a fine stable.

She was definately a rebel, and a threat to the establishment.
    I'm proud to share her name.

really ? Hadn't realised. I thought it was a really very gross and vulgar word. My bad then.
    It's not a nice word.. and not one I would use to describe someone. The B***ard word is a commonly used word and is used in papers and TV now too.. but again not one I would use.

You? Innocent?

If you're too innocent for the big city then there's no hope for me.

Am beginning to wonder that myself recently..

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post
    and in the tradition of the Royal Familly kept a fine stable.
    Of studs?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    If you're too innocent for the big city then there's no hope for me.

Am beginning to wonder that myself recently..
    Ok OK, I’ll open up the “School for Lost Aberdonians in London”… even if you’re an adopted Aberdonian Caro (actually, come to think of it you both are). You'll get used to it

Smile Re: You Whore Diana

Of studs?
    Courtesans perhaps?

Blog Entries

The feelings of men and women have changed over the years about what is and isn't acceptable sexually for a woman and what is and isn't for a man. We accept that sexually people are much wilder now than they used to be and its accepted that when you meet a girl she is likely to have had as many partners as the male has if not more. Deep down however, if you find out a woman has slept around, you naturally feel the word come into your head. Its still frowned upon.

Diana is no different. She did have a few lovers, we dont like it deep down. What makes me laugh however, is glass houses and stones comes to mind. I bet not one of the people slagging her off or reporting how bad she is has stayed faithful and committed in all of their relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post
    Courtesans perhaps?
    Wouldn't that have made her a lesbian

That's possibly the one thing the tabloids haven't discovered her up to as yet!

Wouldn't that have made her a lesbian

That's possibly the one thing the tabloids haven't discovered her up to as yet!
    LOL
    I was suggesting that her courtesans were male!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    She did have a few lovers, we dont like it deep down. What makes me laugh however, is glass houses and stones comes to mind. I bet not one of the people slagging her off or reporting how bad she is has stayed faithful and committed in all of their relationships.
    I didn't and don't like Diana because she represents the worst of celebrity culture.

She had no achievements beyond marrying someone famous, no intelligence, no identity, and no talent beyond that of media manipulation. If she'd lived, she'd probably be on "I'm a celebrity" in the next few years.

And she died in a car accident, OK?

it doesn't really matter the context or who said it or why - my point is how come the words Diana and whore can be associated on the front page of a newspaper that is bought everyday by millions...
    Well, that is the point. The hope is that the little old dears and the robust yeoman's wives will be outraged that such a word could be applied to the princess of hearts.

They know their beloved newspaper would never use those words itself, so they will know it is reported speech. But who, who! could be so horrible as to use such a nasty word about the lovely Diana

(there ought to be a new form of typeface modifier: 'bold', 'underline', 'italic' and 'dripping with sarcasm'...)

Thread Information