Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use Moves?

Re: Do you use Moves?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Ok, now mostly that's because Noel sabotaged the heck out of the dance
    I like both Noel and Jamie and admire both for their differing dance abilities but tbh I think that a lot of what is happening in that clip (which may well not represent the best example of their dances together) is that Jamie is attempting to lead something and Noel fails to pick up on that lead and does some TNCS (typical Noel crazy ****) to improvise. That doesn't fit my definition of sabotage but maybe it does yours?

More commonly, I think moveless dancing is a feature of the leader's head. For example, sometimes I think "I'll lead a Travelling American Spin". Other times I think "I want my partner to come past me then spin just there". The end result is the same, but in the first case it's a move-based thought process and in the second case it's a movement-based thought process.
    I can only know what's going on in my own head but I'd guess a lot of the people I see dancing are thinking about how what they are doing can match the music rather than thinking of a succession of moves. It may be that they will use a recognisable MJ move to achieve that but the thought process is not of a procession of moves. Is this moveless dancing?

Funny, I thought the "basket" was much more like a nameless Lindy pattern I was taught around August of last year. Perhaps Jamie and Noel are dancing move-based Modern Jive that is based on moves in a dance they don't actually know? Kudos!
    Well, I have no idea of the provenance of the basket for MJ but we were discussing moveless dancing in an MJ context right and it certainly reminded me strongly of the entrance to a basket.

In all seriousness, feel free to find or upload a purer example.
    I have not seen any recorded examples. I'd have thought watching Paul F or David B for a short while at a freestyle if the chance arises would provide a good example of what I consider to be 'moveless' dancing.

I guess the whole thread depends on semantics and an individual's definition of moveless dancing. Ultimately it's pretty irrelevant (no different to most threads then ) unless, as appears to be the case with some forumites, you consider it a badge of honour to be able to say you don't use moves when you are dancing. I think there are a lot more important things to be concerned about than that.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I can only know what's going on in my own head but I'd guess a lot of the people I see dancing are thinking about how what they are doing can match the music rather than thinking of a succession of moves. It may be that they will use a recognisable MJ move to achieve that but the thought process is not of a procession of moves. Is this moveless dancing?
    If you can move away from a position that even walking is 'a move', I think Rob's explanation makes a lot of sense. Its been argued somewhere else that the step to 'nirvana' or "advanced dancing" is more to do with musical interpretation than any amount of spaghetti arm moves or deep drops.

That doesn't fit my definition of sabotage but maybe it does yours?
    Heh, that's a whole other thread.

We were discussing moveless dancing in an MJ context right...
    In my defence, you brought up a West Coast move before I brought up a Lindy move.

In my view, it's entirely reasonable for a "moveless" dance to occasionally remind me of the beginning or end of one move or another, which I put down to chance. This contrasts to move-based dancing which continuously reminds me of moves. It also contrasts with strongly move-based dancing where I could write down the 12 moves that are in the leader's repertoire.

I'd have thought watching Paul F or David B for a short while at a freestyle if the chance arises would provide a good example of what I consider to be 'moveless' dancing.
    Certainly I've seen clearer examples in the flesh of what I'd consider moveless dancing. The benefit of clips is that we can find out if we are talking about roughly the same thing.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

unless, as appears to be the case with some forumites, you consider it a badge of honour to be able to say you don't use moves when you are dancing.
    I've been guilty of this - but to be fair, this is largely in reaction to the move monsters, and in consequence of a couple of years of moveless teaching in AT.

Thread Information