Thread: Loot??? help!

Loot??? help!

After looking at my bank statement since Christmas I realised I had once again overspent. Emptying cupboard etc I found many things I did not need anymore so decided to sell them on Loot. Put the ad in this week via online and waited to see if any repsonse. I had one! I want you to read this email that I got from the man and explain what its all about.

Hello,
    Thanks for the mail response and i really appreciate your quick response.I am okay with the price of both item which is £310,So i will be paying you via a cheque.I will contact my Business Associates to send you the Payment of £3,500.Once you receive the Payment from my Business Associates,All what you have to do is deduct your selling price from the funds and then send the remaining funds to a Shipping Company i contact that will take charge of the shipping.....The remaining money is meant for the shipment.Hope i can trust you with this deal ?If so do email me your full details so that you can have the cheque as soon as possible and when you got cheque.Bank the cheque and when the cheque cleared your bank then you can send outstanding balance to the shipper's information that will be given to you okay.Am willing to do this deal with you with my wholeheartedly.

You are not to worry about Shipping, I have a reputable Shipping Company that i have been using for long now, so i am sure they will Ship the Item right to the destination i want it shipped. Also they have got a lot in Europe to ship for me.The remaining excess funds should be sent to the Shipping Company via Western Union Money Transfer and the charges to get Funds transfered to them should be deduct from the funds you are sending to them ( Shipping Company).

For this i am compensating you with the sum of £50 and remove the ADS from the internet, So if you are ready to transact with me, Which i believe you will certainly do, i will want you to provide me with the following details needed for the Payment to get to you:

NAME YOU WANT THE CHEQUE TO BEAR:
    ADDRESS YOU WANT THE PAYMENT SENT TOO:
    PHONE NUMBERHome,Work and Cell)

Will await to read from you soonest with the details needed immediately,so as to facilitate the pace of the transaction.I will wait until the payment clear with your bank and we proceed.
    Thanks.....

Re: Loot??? help!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did he come from Nigeria too?

Blimey, that's such an obvious scam even I can spot it.

its one of the oldest scams in the book and all to do with getting your information

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

respond "wholeheartedly" with some made up information - string em along, thats what i say

Commercial Operator

I concur that it is a scam. If you could quickly send me your credit card details, bank account number / sort code, address and a sample signature, I'll sort it out for you so you don't have to worry about it

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I concur that it is a scam. If you could quickly send me your credit card details, bank account number / sort code, address and a sample signature, I'll sort it out for you so you don't have to worry about it
    Blimey, who needs all that effort, the Government's doing a fine job of distributing our personal information to all and sundry already.

It's scary to think that all a criminal would have had to do, a few months back, to get hold of 25 million sets of ID data, was to bribe a lowly-placed civil servant (say, £50K?), to put that data on a couple of discs, and that'd be it.

In fact, for all we know, that's all they'd have to do now...

BEWARE OF THIS ONE.

Someone rings you up, they know your name and tell you that you've won a mobile phone.

They also know your address come to think of it.

Then they say they need your passport number as ID for when the phone is delivered.

You should never give out that info even to the police.

A friend said she's had a different scam on the phone saying she had won a holiday.

They are Nigerian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    respond "wholeheartedly" with some made up information - string em along, thats what i say
    Yup, wind up the Nigerian Gangsters. There's a great plan

Be very careful, everyone, with this type of thing.

The scam depends on this line:
    "Bank the cheque and when the cheque cleared your bank then you can send outstanding balance to the shipper's information that will be given to you okay."

People think: 'oh, well, it's not a scam, 'cos I don't have to send any money until his cheque has cleared'.

It's based on a misunderstanding of banking law. If the cheque is subsequently dishonoured by the original payer, it will be refunded by your bank, leaving you with a £3,500 sized hole in your account. A cleared cheque is not cleared funds. What you would need to do is to confirm with your own bank that the entire balance of your account is cleared funds, and that it will almost never do in this situation because the scammer has no intention of honouring the cheque.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    It's based on a misunderstanding of banking law. If the cheque is subsequently dishonoured by the original payer, it will be refunded by your bank, leaving you with a £3,500 sized hole in your account.

Well you just give it plenty of time to clear. Say 6 months or so

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Yup, wind up the Nigerian Gangsters. There's a great plan
    Some people make a career out of it See here

Some people make a career out of it See here
    OK, I'm sold on scambaiting.

Thank you all for explaining this to me. I had no idea! I have since taken the ads out of Loot and just put them in the local shop.

Nigerians eh! my scamming lot next door arrived yesterday to their lovely 3 bed house of which they will stay for a couple of weeks until housing benefit and income support has been sorted. They will then fly back to Lagos until August when the forms will have to be renewed again

One tip is if they phone say immediately -

"Just one minute please" and put he phone down (off the hook) and walk off for 10 mins. Should be gone by then and they won't want to waste money on phoning the likes of you.

There's a VISA scam where someone rings and asks you to verify if you bought a XXXXX for £50.

When you say no, he says, it's ok we will not authorise payment.

But then he asks you for the last 4 numbers on your credit card to check you are who you say you are. (he has the other numbers) so it sounds convincing.

It is the last 4 number that the crims need to use your card.

VISA say they never ring and ask for card numbers as they already know the number.

I had my card cloned 2 and a half years ago after using a ~Tesco cash point. Then after that I had a letter from Nigeria to say that a deceased relative had left me some money. I knew this was definately a lie as know one seems to know who my family were. Parents died a few years ago and the rest is all a mystery.

Sat here now wondering if my neighbours have my daughter Oyster Card as that was supposed to arrive thursday. Right thats it I want to move home.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    It is the last 4 number that the crims need to use your card.

That'll be why modern receipts hide all numbers except the last four then

purplehyacinth

Another possibility is that this could be a money-laundering scam - someone effectively to "clean" funds to the amount of the overpayment through your account.

Always mistrust anyone who sends you too much money in this manner - whether it is the scam Aurion highlighted or another version, one way or another you will end up the person suffering.

Commercial Operator

Well you just give it plenty of time to clear. Say 6 months or so
    I thought the law had changed recently, so that you now only have to wait 10 working days.
    In the past, banks could take the money out of your account at ANY time, if a cheque was not honoured. The "clearing" system was just a nonsense.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I thought the law had changed recently, so that you now only have to wait 10 working days.
    In the past, banks could take the money out of your account at ANY time, if a cheque was not honoured. The "clearing" system was just a nonsense.

Greg
    I'm not aware of any changes to the Banking Acts recently. It's not the sort of thing the law would want to interfere with: these are practical commercial matters.

Suppose, e.g., that your employer inadvertently mis-places the decimal point and pays you £35,000 (less deductions based on £3,500) instead of £3,500.

The payment of salary is automated, so that the day of payment your bank will confirm that you can spend over £30,000.

Two weeks later, your employer discovers the error, notifies its bank, which notifies yours. If the money is in your account, it will be deducted and refunded. You can't argue 'It's my money, it's in my account!' If - on the other hand - the money has gone out of your account, your employer has a claim against you for the overpayment and, if you knew the money was paid due to an error, you might well find yourself being interviewed under caution for theft.

This is all to do with the fact that, in law, the money in your account represents a debt from the bank to you; therefore the balance in the account is in fact a marker of how large that debt is. It follows, therefore, that if there is 'money in that account' due to an error (or, indeed, as part of the type of fraud under discussion) the debt owed to you by the bank is not, in reality, as large as the balance figure would appear to indicate; in other words, the figure at the bottom of your statement or shown on the screen of an ATM is not a real but a nominal function only.

Therefore the bank is free to do whatever it likes with that money, since it doesn't owe it to you.

Thread Information