Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel like chicken tonight

Re: I feel like chicken tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    (even the trailers are enough to put me off!).
    Did you see the trailer with the chicken nuggets?

Good for Jamie. It's about time someone educated the great unwashed about crappy food.

I might even learn something

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post

Whilst we are on the subject of animal welfare, does anyone still buy Danish Bacon? I haven't bought it for years, as their 'welfare' standards are not as high as ours. I will only buy English and then if I can, outdoor reared.

Elaine
    I have to disagree with this statement. Denmark has much much strickter rules than the English in regards to Animal welfare. Also the Danes have the highest procentage of organic farming of any country.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I have to disagree with this statement. Denmark has much much strickter rules than the English in regards to Animal welfare. Also the Danes have the highest procentage of organic farming of any country.

Hi Connie, my statement was based on a number of articles that I have read (can't remember where, as over a number of years), but do you have a link to that information?

Thanks

Elaine

Well i watched the big food fight tonight i think it was or was it Jamie's foul dinners?

again it was about the battery chickens.

I was absolutely disgusted.

I rang half of my mates and they were all watching big brother gets hi jacked or whatever its called instead of watching what i think has to be one of the most interesting yet life changing programmes i have ever watched

i haven't felt like this since jamie's school dinners.

thanks to him we don't have the funny crispy potato feet things or turkey twizzlers at our school

we have chicken joe wraps and potato wedges and pasta.

although yesterday when i saw my friend munching her chicken joe wrap i couldn't help but feel sick.

because theyre is no way the school dinner ladies and cooks use free range chickens.

i vow that if i step into kfc i will be buying fries...

burger king: cheeseburger

mcdonalds: my faveourite fillet of fish.

defintly no more chicken

although i have a feeling mcdonalds will start using free range because they have already been slated in one healthy eating programme i.e supersize me.

i feel so strong about this free rage chicken and eggs subject because jamie tonight carried out a range of experiments.

he showed what chicken and chips was made off and chicken nuggets.

the most interesting one was when he asked two ladies from the audience how many chickens they thought he could fit in the spaces of crate provided.

they thought 30...

he infact could fit thirty but then proceeded to 100, it was like a mass of chickens bundled together, going lame in their legs and being piled ontop of each other like a laundry pile.

I hated the way the battery hens were killed as well

it was shocking

grabbed by the legs hung on a grabber and electocuted in the neck with a taser gun once unconcious they make the chicken bleed and then twist the neck and dead chicken

the sad fact is most of these battery hens never see the light of day.

its horrific.

and its got to stop

no more popcorn chicken for me....

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    I rang half of my mates and they were all watching big brother gets hi jacked or whatever its called instead of watching what i think has to be one of the most interesting yet life changing programmes i have ever watched
    I allowed my son to stay up and watch it. As the end I asked him what he thought and he said he would prefer to go free range at home, but he wasn't happy about giving up fast food. At least it's a start.

Mini Mac, you strike me as a thoughtful and intelligent young woman (I hope that doesn't sound too patronising). I'm so pleased to hear that not all teenagers are watching rubbish all the time.

Unfortunately, your Big Brother watching friends are in the majority and most people don't care how their chicken korma reaches their Indian Restaurant. While there is a market for cheap meat, it will still be produced. Even if this country banned standard chicken production, other countries would produce it and ship it in...which is not good for out own farming community.

I hated the way the battery hens were killed as well

it was shocking
    All chickens are slaughtered in the same way, including free range. It was shocking, but it's the most humane was to do it. The point is its not how they end their life as they are all bred to be killed and eaten. What's more important is the quality of their lives while they are reaching their slaughter weight.

Blog Entries

I do not watch programmes like this. There is a reason. I like chicken curry.

Also, if you all start on this issue then surely you have to look at how all animals are slaughtered. Take your lovely roast beef on a sunday, do you think cows are breed in green fields to run about and chat until they are taken to a small room lightly decorated in tasteful field effect wall paper then given an injection so they drift away.... NO DIDN'T THINK SO.

How about ya pork, perhaps pigs have it easier.

I run a pest control company, if i took everything i see as across the board, i would not ever leave my house. We kill rodents in what the governmnent call a humane way but really would you like to eat a little bit of pasta then die slowly as blood pours out of every hole in your body. NO I DIDNT THINK SO - But you watch how quick people dont care when they are eating your house up.

Sometimes there are no humane ways, sometimes its needs must. So we demand chicken, they get em.

Whilst it is wrong and i agree completely, demand allows it.

So, i dont watch it. i keep out of it and by the way, what time does KFC open.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I allowed my son to stay up and watch it. As the end I asked him what he thought and he said he would prefer to go free range at home, but he wasn't happy about giving up fast food. At least it's a start.

Mini Mac, you strike me as a thoughtful and intelligent young woman (I hope that doesn't sound too patronising). I'm so pleased to hear that not all teenagers are watching rubbish all the time.

Unfortunately, your Big Brother watching friends are in the majority and most people don't care how their chicken korma reaches their Indian Restaurant. While there is a market for cheap meat, it will still be produced. Even if this country banned standard chicken production, other countries would produce it and ship it in...which is not good for out own farming community.

no it's not good at all. There will always be a market for cheap meat but i am going to continue to ignore it.

All chickens are slaughtered in the same way, including free range. It was shocking, but it's the most humane was to do it. The point is its not how they end their life as they are all bred to be killed and eaten. What's more important is the quality of their lives while they are reaching their slaughter weight.
    Yes i agree with you that it is grotesque but it's the only way to do it and i agree the chickens should be allowed some happiness before they are killed.
    And thankyou for the compliment it didnt sound patronising at all xxx

[QUOTE=Trouble;442717]I do not watch programmes like this. There is a reason. I like chicken curry.

Also, if you all start on this issue then surely you have to look at how all animals are slaughtered. Take your lovely roast beef on a sunday, do you think cows are breed in green fields to run about and chat until they are taken to a small room lightly decorated in tasteful field effect wall paper then given an injection so they drift away.... NO DIDN'T THINK SO.

Which is why i have decided to cut all meat products except fish out of my diet.

I am becoming a vegetarian but i will eat fish because i need omega 3 and protein....

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

I run a pest control company, if i took everything i see as across the board, i would not ever leave my house. We kill rodents in what the governmnent call a humane way but really would you like to eat a little bit of pasta then die slowly as blood pours out of every hole in your body. NO I DIDNT THINK SO - But you watch how quick people dont care when they are eating your house up.

Sometimes there are no humane ways, sometimes its needs must. So we demand chicken, they get em.

Whilst it is wrong and i agree completely, demand allows it.

So, i dont watch it. i keep out of it and by the way, what time does ***open.
    Absolutely, animals are not kept in fields for our amusement or to give us a pastoral view! They are being kept for human consumption in some shape of form (horses kept mostly for leisure). However, if we are to eat animals, I would rather that they had a decent existance up to the point of their end and that the end should be as trauma free as possible.

Humans are meat eaters and that will never change, but I would hope that most of us are intellegent and humane enough to allow others (and this inlcudes humans by the way - the Slave Trade?) a decent life.

Elaine

I am becoming a vegetarian but i will eat fish because i need omega 3 and protein....
    Good for you I have been a full blown veggie, A full blown Meatie, and am currently somewhere in between at the moment.

I DO eat meat.. but mostly fish and chicken and a VERY little red meat (Bacon mostly as I don't like steaks , ribs, ham, etc etc)

I watched these programmes with a mixture of shame and disgust. I have in my freezer a number of chicken ready meals from Iceland. Now I've already bought them, so not eating them wouldn't do anything (apart from wasting my money) but I have decided from now on to eat only Free range organic foods where I can .. and eat less meat in general anyway.

I have to say being a mostly veggie is quite easy. I remember way back when the only veggie meal you could get out was either a salad or macaroni cheese! Today There's lots of restaurants out there that have a fine range of veggie options these days. When I'm with Twirly I eat veggie, but when we eat out I do still have the option of choosing a chicken dish. Twirly herself eats fish too, so she's not a true vegetarian either.. but more veggie than I am .. I guess she (and Mini Mac will soon be) a "Piscitarian"

Remember though labels aren't important. I used to be nagged when I was a veggie for eating things animal gelatine etc in. Just eat what you like, don't eat what you don't like and enjoy what you eat.

I've given up describing my self as a "mostly vegetarian who eats bacon and fish but only when the bacon is burnt to a crisp and the fish isn't too 'meaty'" I now just eat what i like and don't need to explain myself to anyone

But as for those programs recently I'd not realised the amount of battery produced eggs that go into things like mayo and cakes etc.. from now on , even if it costs a few quid more, I'm going to be very choosy about what I eat. I see it as voting with my wallet. If sales of these foods drop the profit concious supermarkets will have to take note... .. eventually.

I have no problem with animal husbandry to produce meat for the table.

I do expect the people who do it and the people who regulate the industry on our behalf to ensure that the pain, misery and stress undergone by the animals is minimised.

I was pissed off when the government continued to allow kosher slaughtering in this country. In both types of slaughter, death is caused by exsanguination from cutting open the jugular vein and carotid artery - the neck is slashed.

But in western butchery, the animal is first stunned with a captive bolt. The kosher animal is still conscious as it watches its lifeblood hosing the stainless steel wall in front of it. This is because (bloody religion again) centuries ago some well-intentioned writer said that jews must not eat meat from injured or diseased animals, and modern jewish theologists (who ****ing well ought to know how to think better) consider that a stunned animal is an injured animal, and its meat can't be eaten.

On top of this we have factory reared broilers and egg-laying chickens, pigs kept in pens, cows bred for enormous udders to get the maximum volume of milk per day (and then given hormones to make the udders even more productive). Chicken meat injected with beef protein so that it will hold more water, and then tumbled in vats with water so that the meat will weigh 20% more than it used to do (without notifying end-users who might be allergic to beef and have no idea they aren't eating ordinary chicken).

None of this is to make better or more food for us, it's all to give better profit margins or increased market share to producers, middle-men and supermarkets. What's being going on in the meat industry since 1945 is inhumane and disgusting.

And yet, I'm not a vegetarian. This is because I don't believe these things are my responsibility. I'm entitled, as I see it, to do my best to buy better quality stuff and to blame the people who carry out these atrocities for what they do.

Just a thought. You can buy free range chicken and make your own curry. Also, I know there isn't much choice at the moment, but you can get free range ready meals if you can't be arsed to cook. Some restaurants are also offering a free range option, albeit a few quid extra.

We kill rodents in what the governmnent call a humane way but really would you like to eat a little bit of pasta then die slowly as blood pours out of every hole in your body. NO I DIDNT THINK SO - But you watch how quick people dont care when they are eating your house up.
    I'm not picking on you here, but it's not how you kill an animal it's their quality of life. I think up til the point of killing a rat I would say they were free to roam and do what nature intended for them, which is not the case for chickens who are reared for meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I have no problem with animal husbandry to produce meat for the table.

< and other good points>

I have no problem with animal husbandry either. it's very hard to eat meat without killing it first

I grew up in a farming area. My Aunt had a farm and I remember helping out by killing the chickens for sale. Now there were two ways of doing this (They were all free range birds and not mass produced so this will sound a little barbaric.. I'm sorry)

option one.. Bird - neck - block - axe. Quick but messy.

option two.. grab bird by neck, put bird under arm and pull/twist .. some of the more experienced farmers would grab the bird by the neck then make a whip cracking motion.

Now both of these methods were quick and I hope "relatively" painless for the birds. Occasionally you would get one that ran around with it's neck broken for a few minutes.. but this was normal farmyard procedures we were using.

I'm not a mostly-veggie because I don't like the killing on animals. I'd slaughtered my fair share of chickens in the past and I accept that animals must be killed to be eaten. But like Barry stated, I don't like unnecessary suffering , I'm not keen on the kosher idea (lets not make this into another religious argument though) I don't like the idea that birds are now so pumped up with chemicals and hormones that what we're actually eating and what we think we're eating are two different things.

And don't get me started on Mechanically Recovered Meat.. if I wanted to eat marrow I'd buy some dog food.

Meat eaters are not to blame.. I don't like militant vegans who tell me meat is murder.. (I usually ask them if they washed recently.. and then look shocked when I tell them how many millions of living bacteria they murdered! ) but I do think we can , collectively, put pressure on supermarkets to treat their animals in better ways.

unfortunately there's a huge percentage of the population who put price as more important than anything else. There's a lot of other factors involved in changing that I'm afraid. it's not an easy path.. but at least some places and people are trying.

Like Barry said, I'll buy better quality stuff from now on.. (a) it's better for me and (b) in some small way it sends a message to the producers.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

For those that missed the programme it's on right now, on Channel4!

well it was my first day of being a veggie *or the other word where you do eat fish*

for lunch i had bacon and cheese quiche but picked all the bacon bits out and just ate the cheesey bits.

next time il get a mushroom and broccoli one.

unfortauently i have got some ready meal meat meals that dad insists i eat first so really i wont be a veggie until thursday at least.

wish me luck!

for lunch i had bacon and cheese quiche but picked all the bacon bits out and just ate the cheesey bits.
    Quiche is made with battery hen eggs, like the ones in the cages in Jamie Oliver's programme.

It's a flippin' nightmare having to think about everything you eat innit? Why don't you make a quiche from scratch with free range eggs? It'll taste better and I bet it will be cheaper than a shop bought one.

Blog Entries

well it was my first day of being a veggie *or the other word where you do eat fish*

next time il get a mushroom and broccoli one.

unfortauently i have got some ready meal meat meals that dad insists i eat first so really i wont be a veggie until thursday at least.

wish me luck!
    good luck girly, by the way, when im next doing a roast dinner, beef, yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings, i'll invite you down and you can have a bean burger..... but the chickens will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Quiche is made with battery hen eggs, like the ones in the cages in Jamie Oliver's programme.

It's a flippin' nightmare having to think about everything you eat innit? Why don't you make a quiche from scratch with free range eggs? It'll taste better and I bet it will be cheaper than a shop bought one.
    yes that would be great if i could cook

becci and cooking dont exactly work.

i am a disaster in the kitchen lol.

good luck girly, by the way, when im next doing a roast dinner, beef, yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings, i'll invite you down and you can have a bean burger..... but the chickens will be happy.
    oooh you are tempting me...couldnt i just have yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and veg? LOL

actually iv just thought of something my aunt wont be happy when i next stay at hers and turn my nose up at her sausage plat....

she hates people refusing her food....

i tried being a veggie last time and lasted 6 hours?

see how long i last this time..

becci and cooking dont exactly work.

i am a disaster in the kitchen lol.
    see how long i last this time..
    Not long if you can't cook. C'mon Bec's...if you can read you can cook. Here's an easy recipe for you to start with. Get the pastry ready made and the rest is child's play.

Ingredients
    2 cups Milk
    4 (free range) Eggs
    3/4 cup Biscuit baking mix
    1/4 cup Butter, softened
    1 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
    10 oz Chopped broccoli
    8 ounces Shredded Cheddar cheese
    Preparation

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, baking mix, butter and parmesan cheese. Batter will be lumpy. Stir in broccoli and Cheddar cheese. Pour into prepared quiche dish.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until eggs are set and top is golden brown.

Thread Information