Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I feel like chicken tonight

Re: I feel like chicken tonight

The whole thing is.. you don't have to be A anything.

I fyou want to eat veggie most of the time and then treat yourself to a roast beef dinner then fine.. don't label youself with somehting you feel you must deprive yourself to achieve.

You don't have to be veggie to protest against the mistreating of animals in the meat industry. Just buy sensibly , free range foods or foods endorsed by the RSPCA (I forget what their food quality award is called)

I'm not a veggie.. I eat veggie foods mostly. But I ALSO eat fish, bacon, chicken, duck etc. I don't limit myself to what I can and cannot eat.

if you're allergic to lactose then stop drinking milk.. if you've got a disorder that means you get bloated after eating meat then by all means stop eating meat but you do not need to deprive yourself of anything just because you want a label.

I have been a full blown "wouldn't eat any meat at all" veggie for about 4 years, then I got tempted by a bacon roll then again about 3 years later I was a full blown veggie for about 3 years then this time got tempted by a chicken burger

Each time I felt guilty.. but then I realised I just have to eat what I want and don't eat what I don't want. I don't need to justify what I do and do not eat to anyone other than myself.

so if you eat veggie then "lapse" .. no biggie. You felt like meat, you satisfied that craving. Just stay away from junk food.. if you must eat meat then eat good meat.. If red meat "did it for me" I'm sure troubles Roast dinner would be very tempting

I'll have the same but with roast chicken if thats ok trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    oooh you are tempting me...couldnt i just have yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and veg? LOL

actually iv just thought of something my aunt wont be happy when i next stay at hers and turn my nose up at her sausage plat....

she hates people refusing her food....

i tried being a veggie last time and lasted 6 hours?

see how long i last this time..
    Hi Mini Mac,

I did the same as you some years ago by deciding to veggie without really looking into the pros and cons and ended up not eating very much - not very good!

I would suggest that perhaps you go 'mostly' veggie for now and work gradually towards it. That way, you can spend time investigating some recipes. Have a look at the BBC recipe selection for some ideas. Have you ever eaten Tofu? It is made from Soya beans and is soooo easy to cook. Put it into stir fries or grill it. If you grill it, make sure that you brush it with oil first! It is a bit like chicken, in that it is fairley tasteless, but it does absorb the taste of anything you cook it with. It is very good if you put Soye sauce over it and then stir fry.

One of our favourite recipes at the moment is grilled Tofu and stilton, served on steamed watercress and caramilsed onions on top. This one is on the BBC website and doesn't take very long to cook. Simon's kids aged 15 and 13 love it. Also griddled tofu with lime juice and chopped peanuts (use a food processor to chop the nuts!) - just griddle the tofu (or you can stir fry it), heat the juice and the peanuts and throw it over the top - takes about 5 minutes! Serve with rice and green beans - yum!

The money you save on things like this then means you can buy free range meat/chicken and you can still enjoy your roasts.

Hope that helps,

Elaine

See Beowolf 1970 and I are on the same wavelength here! I also lapsed over a bacon buttie!

Elaine

Quinoa and/or Halloumi are your friends

Halloumi is like "vegetarian" bacon It's a dense cheese you grill in slices.. very Yummy.

Quinoa is lovely .. Twirly does this dish with Quinoa in stock, broccoli, celery, carrots etc and a piece of roast salmon on top. It could just as easily be a piece of grilled free range chicken , tofu or even a bit of prime Aberdeen Angus steak!

(Shocking.. I come from Aberdeen and I've Never tasted Aberdeen Angus !!)

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    See Beowulf970 and I are on the same wavelength here! I also lapsed over a bacon buttie!

Elaine
    Damn those butties

It's all shocking.... and it's the supermarkets that are entirely to blame. Suppliers provide products to them and year on year the SM's insist on a reduction in cost, despite the fact that their profits are going through the roof. If the suppliers don't cut costs the SM's go elsewhere because there is ALWAYS someone in the market who is prepared to supply at a cheaper price. The result: more effecient but more inhumane systems of animal husbandry.

SM's argue that they are just responding to demand and so pass the blame to the consumer. But that is of course a bunch of twat. SM's are in constant competitive price wars and it is THEY who reduce prices and therefore create an expectation with consumers as to the expected price levels of products. Price levels aren't consumer driven, they are SM driven because once you drive prices down past a certain threshold you cannot risk bringing them back up again without potentially losing market share.

As regards 'animal husbandry' it doesn't seem to matter which way the poor chicken turns it's always going to get shafted in one way or another. It was reported on QI last week that 1 in 6 Iowans have had sex with a chicken! I guess it's because they have discovered that this is a good way of replacing the protien yield that is reduced by using growth hormones... QI didn't mention if any of liasons resulted in proposals of marriage..

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'I feel like chicken tonight' doesn't it!
    Last edited by Rocky; 13th-January-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Well this is a bit of an experiment.. should I die from salmonella poisoning it's been nice knowing you all

I'm having chicken tonight.. roasted. I've never actually roasted a chicken from scratch before but I'm fairly confident it'll be easy enough.

I normally buy the really cheap and convenient ready roasted chickens. I used to buy these and walk back home .. and usually have half the chicken eaten by the time I'd walked home !!

Anyway I've bought a slightly more expensive organic bird. (a snip at a mere £4.99 per kilo ) and I have the giblets out (and I have NO IDEA what to do with them? make stock for gravy?)

I've weighed the bird.. (just under 1.5 kg) and it'll apparently be in there for just over 2hrs !!

I have to say this WILL have to be a treat.. this was neary £7 for this bird.. as opposed to the £1.98 for the smartprice broilers !!

I'm sure it'll taste delicious.. even if I do seem to have purchased enough to last me a week !!

Thread Information