Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C.S.I. tv series

Re: C.S.I. tv series

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Incidentally, what precisely is the difference between CSI and CSI : Las Vegas on your list?
    I dunno.. I don't watch them

I saw one episode with some impossible technology and I never watched it again.. not nearly as bad as the impossible technology in the film "Enemy of the State".. Space cameras that can read the small print on the Will Smith's movie contract or software that allows images from bog standard shop security cameras and rotate them 180 degrees and use x-ray vision to see INSIDE pockets on the other side from the camera !

I can't stand unrealistic programs.. anyway I'm off to watch Heroes, Firefly and some Star Trek before sticking on some Spiderman / Batman / Fantastic 4 movies and perhaps having a Lord of the Rings marathon..

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I can't stand unrealistic programs.. anyway I'm off to watch Heroes, Firefly and some Star Trek before sticking on some Spiderman / Batman / Fantastic 4 movies and perhaps having a Lord of the Rings marathon..
    The difference between these things and CSI, is that CSI pretends to be plausible. But as you, and others have pointed out, neither the scenario (forensic officers questioning suspects), nor the action (magic with image enhancement) is possible in reality.

This is why, after watching a fair number of episodes of CSI, I gave it up. It was always the same story anyway.

Barry, I suggest you take up Sudoku if you're looking for reliable entertainment.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    The difference between these things and CSI, is that CSI pretends to be plausible. But as you, and others have pointed out, neither the scenario (forensic officers questioning suspects), nor the action (magic with image enhancement) is possible in reality.

This is why, after watching a fair number of episodes of CSI, I gave it up. It was always the same story anyway.

Barry, I suggest you take up Sudoku if you're looking for reliable entertainment.
    Sudoku isn't that entertaining as CSI and other programmes lol. But everyone is different!!

Just watch 'Lost' for Heaven's sake. There's no need to watch anything else.

I missed almost all of the first series of Primeval, so I settled down to watch it this morning (recorded last night).

It was worse than the episode of CSI we've been discussing, absolutely abysmal. CBBC would have demanded higher standards.

So Saturday evenings still an entertainment-free zone on TV. Off dancing, then...

I missed almost all of the first series of Primeval, so I settled down to watch it this morning (recorded last night).

It was worse than the episode of CSI we've been discussing, absolutely abysmal. CBBC would have demanded higher standards.

So Saturday evenings still an entertainment-free zone on TV. Off dancing, then...
    yeah the whole time travel dinosaur thing kinda suggested it would be a tad on the unrealistic side

I tried to watch that once and found myself feeling embarrassed on behalf of the actors in it. It's absolutely dire and if I hadn't switched off before they said the word 'anomaly' one more time, I would probably have thrown something through the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Just watch 'Lost' for Heaven's sake. There's no need to watch anything else.
    Lost is rubbish!!! The storyline just drags on

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    Lost is rubbish!!!

Lost is rubbish!!! The storyline just drags on
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I'm afraid I must concur with Crazy Shark.. It started off good, showed real promise but then as the series progressed the twists and turns just began to get so annoying. It's one of these series that'll never properly end.. each series getting progressively more weird with more and more twists and turns.. don't expect to ever find out the point of the series. And if you do it'll be one of three possible endings..

1. "Deus et machina" - Some hitherto unmentioned or bit character will turn up and magically resolve everything.

2. "Dream sequence" - The whole thing was a dream.. one of the characters will jump awake and realise he or she are still sitting in the departure lounge and all the familiar faces from the series all there awaiting their flight.

3. Everybody dies - Nuff said !

I find Lost wholeheartedly unsatisfying. I'm enjoying Heroes at the moment but I can see the shareholders want for more and more series to squeeze every cent from the franchise causing it to go the way of Lost at some point.
    Last edited by Beowulf; 14th-January-2008 at 12:04 AM.

yeah the whole time travel dinosaur thing kinda suggested it would be a tad on the unrealistic side
    Well, there's two different sorts of realism, aren't there?

If you go to the theatre to see Look back in anger you will be going with different expectations than when going to see Peter Pan.

Just because Primeval is science-fiction (of a sort) doesn't mean we should be expected to put up with an episode in which...

...actually, I can't be bothered and you - dear reader - shouldn't have to put up with examples of the egregious insults to our intelligence that the script offered. If this is the best that British can manage with a flagshop high-concept drama series...

...oh, alright then, how about this. All the radios in the (looked like John Lewis) department store are on, so the Professor notices one is suffering from interference - could it be...? - ooh, it seems they've never checked these anomalies for electromagnetic radation before!!!!!!!!!!! Now, the lights in the whole shopping centre are on, and so are the escalators and lifts: that's bad enough; but who went round switching on the power supply to the electrical goods displays? (Maybe the dinosaurs like radio 1...)

Augh!

Spoiler ...

Well, CSI is now off my viewing list, joining CSI Miami (couldn’t stand Horatio’s pompous sideways take-off-the-sunglasses-and-growl-a-oneliner anymore).

I might watch Mistresses instead – though that is another post.
    CSI Miami (or CSI Meanie) went off my list when Horatio was going to another country on a mission to kill a drug dealer he didn't like (okay, it was a bit more than that), but I don't like it when the programme's message is that violence is okay, as long as it's against a bad guy (are you listening Mr President?).

However, now I'm in the middle of listening to an audiobook called The Culture Code, which explains that this kind of teenage fantasy is actually a reflection of America as a whole - an adolescent culture, where fighting convention, fairytale endings and juvenile behaviour (Tom Cruise jumping on Aunty Opra's sofa anyone?) is celebrated. So, Barry, perhaps what this means is that the CSI writers are actually being incredibly clever, giving its American viewers exactly what floats their boat and the Brits need to just watch a more grown-up kind of crime show. An alternative is NCIS - almost the same letters, but better one-liners, good characters and interplay.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    An alternative is NCIS - almost the same letters, but better one-liners, good characters and interplay.
    I concur. NCIS does not take itself so seriously I feel, and is better for it. The lack of realism then becomes less grating

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    but I don't like it when the programme's message is that violence is okay, as long as it's against a bad guy

However, now I'm in the middle of listening to an audiobook called The Culture Code, which explains that this kind of teenage fantasy is actually a reflection of America as a whole - an adolescent culture, where fighting convention, fairytale endings and juvenile behaviour
    Oh god, don't get me started on infantile wish fulfilment and its role in popular American culture. Just as the merest f'rinstance, I've just been watching some of my Blade Runner - final cut DVD about the making of the film, and they're talking about why a film now acknowledged as a (flawed) masterpiece bombed when it was first released. One reason - released the same year as ET.

Americans seek re-assurance like toddlers: they will wander around and around, grizzling and sniffling until someone picks them up and feeds them some comfort food. This is why hucksters and snake oil salesmen are so terrifyingly successful (especially terrifying when they go on to get elected) in that country.

However, it's also the country that produced Grapes of wrath, Of mice and men, A streetcar named desire, Death of a salesman, One flew over the cuckoos nest, and (somebody whose existence and actions I have only recently discovered) Daniel Levin.

So, I guess there's still hope for them.

NCIS isn't that good either

Criminal Minds is just awesome!!! Its different from typical crime programmes.

CSI NY is good and the 1st episode of the new season was good!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

NCIS isn't that good either

Criminal Minds is just awesome!!! Its different from typical crime programmes.

CSI NY is good and the 1st episode of the new season was good!!
    Your reviews are very...good.

Criminal Minds is nonsense - so are NCIS and CSI admittedly, but CM suffers from the same annoying flaws as they do. Its like reading a recent Tom Clancy book (you know the ones where he went senile).

I'm happy to report that decent television is alive and well.

City of vice was on Channel 4 at 10pm and is based on the life of Henry Fielding, author of The history of Tom Jones, a foundling, amongst other books. Fielding was a barrister and then became a magistrate, and then - because MPs were becoming rather nervous of the lawlessness in London in the mid eighteenth century - was voted money by parliament to institute a force of constables to police central London - the Bow Street Runners.

Ian McDiarmid (the evil Emperor from Star wars plays Fielding. He's a complex character - not a goody goody - and the plot unfolds fairly naturally.

Highly recommended, and an object lesson to the writers of Primeval on how to do it write.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'm happy to report that decent television is alive and well.

City of vice was on Channel 4 at 10pm and is based on the life of Henry Fielding, author of The history of Tom Jones, a foundling, amongst other books. Fielding was a barrister and then became a magistrate, and then - because MPs were becoming rather nervous of the lawlessness in London in the mid eighteenth century - was voted money by parliament to institute a force of constables to police central London - the Bow Street Runners.

Ian McDiarmid (the evil Emperor from Star wars plays Fielding. He's a complex character - not a goody goody - and the plot unfolds fairly naturally.

Highly recommended, and an object lesson to the writers of Primeval on how to do it write.
    so if only they would add a raptor or two into City of Vice, it'd be perfect

...not seen it, ill certainly have a look

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    so if only they would add a raptor or two into City of Vice, it'd be perfect
    Or at the very least have Ian shoot lightning bolts from his finger tips !

Actually despite eagerly awaiting this series... I missed it.

I got engrossed in "Signs" instead.

Oh the shame

...I got engrossed in "Signs" instead.

Oh the shame
    Quite. As a punishment you must watch the History Channel non-stop until the weekend (except when working).

Thread Information