Thread: QR Codes

QR Codes

Any body seen or heard of QR Codes?

I was browsing and came across a QR Code reader and wondered what it was, I've seen QR Codes before but not known what they were, I thought they were a new type of bar code.

I thought I could show the actual image here, not just a link to the image ??

I've now found out. If you point your QR Code enabled phone camera at the above code it'll automatically call my number (or go to a web site that's set within the code, if I want it to).

Is this the new advertising media we're going to see in the future with QR Codes on trains, buses, planes and everywhere people congregate?

I'm not sure if it's good, bad or frightening especially if codes can be hidden within the visible code
    Last edited by ducasi; 8th-January-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Image not showing - hmm, still not (tel no. removed from link - ducasi)

Re: QR Codes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Any body seen or heard of QR Codes?
    Here's the image Attachment 9471
    Last edited by Brian Doolan; 14th-March-2009 at 03:39 PM.

My phone can scan them – that image is a phone number, ending -5200.

Did you really want the whole forum to know your phone number?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

QR Codes are 2-dimensional barcodes that can store thousands of times more information than the "zebra" barcodes you see on packages (which only encode data in one direction). A QR Code can store over 4000 bytes of data - a whole A4 page in 10-point font, and unlike a barcode scanner (which uses a laser to read a 1-D barcode) 2D barcodes are read using normal optical digital cameras or webcams - like the one you already have in your phone.

They're particularly useful for mobile devices (phones, PDAs etc) because they allow a user to capture large amounts of data, very accurately, without having to type it in (a big problem when using a little phone keypad; and an even worse problem for non-alphabetic languages such as Japanese or Chinese). Indeed, in Japan, about 90% of the population uses QR codes with their mobile phone, where QR codes are used to provide links to web sites, exchange business card details, or provide product information.

I've been researching the use of QR codes for the last 2 years, with specific application to the education sector - you can see some of my research on my blog, here: » 2D Barcodes Mobile Learning .

I even have QR-Coded shirts which I wear for various demonstrations and work events! It provides a link to my mobile web site:

If your phone doesn't already have a reader, you can find one in this list I compiled of free QR Code readers for about 1000 different phones: http://mlearning.edublogs.org/files/...desoftware.xls

And of anyone wants any information on how QR Codes can be used for marketing, information sharing, and even learning Ceroc/Modern Jive (!) - just let me know leonard.low@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    My phone can scan them – that image is a phone number, ending -5200.

Did you really want the whole forum to know your phone number?
    It's not my business number Duncan, so I'm not concerned if forum members know my personal number. I think you still have the same phone as me (N95), I downloaded the Kaywa reader to my N95 last night and tried it out on a few QR Codes and was surprised at how easily and quickly the phone interpreted the scans. I can see huge advertising scopes here in the near future.

Reading Ronde's post, I wonder if the codes can carry viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    It's not my business number Duncan, so I'm not concerned if forum members know my personal number. I think you still have the same phone as me (N95), I downloaded the Kaywa reader to my N95 last night and tried it out on a few QR Codes and was surprised at how easily and quickly the phone interpreted the scans. I can see huge advertising scopes here in the near future.

Reading Ronde's post, I wonder if the codes can carry viruses.
    Yup, an N95 - but it has a built-in QR reader application - called Barcode (in Applications –> Office).

I don't think the QR codes can carry viruses themselves, but it's always possible that they could link to malware of some kind or other.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Yup, an N95 - but it has a built-in QR reader application - called Barcode (in Applications –> Office).
    Lo and behold!! so does mine - goes to show the benefits of reading the documentation that comes with the phone, thanks

This appeals to my geeky side!

Ronde!, you can add to your list that the software for the Dopod 586W at QuickMark works fine with the T-Mobile SDA II in the UK. In fact, it looks for the list that many users of Windows Mobile smartphones should be able to find something that works, with a little investigation.

Just got to find something to do with it now...
    Last edited by RedFox; 10th-January-2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: readability

Quoth RedFox:

"Ronde!, you can add to your list that the software for the Dopod 586W at QuickMark works fine with the T-Mobile SDA II in the UK. In fact, it looks for the list that many users of Windows Mobile smartphones should be able to find something that works, with a little investigation."

Thank you I shall include it in my next update to that document... Sadly, it's difficult for me to test every device for a working reader, but I've certainly been able to get the QuickMark reader working with many unlisted handsets...

"Just got to find something to do with it now... "

One of the first things you might consider is creating a personal website that you can view and share on any any internet-capable mobile device. Check out Winksite (http://winksite.com) where you can host and create your own free mobile web sites. It even generates its own QR code for you (more efficiently and directly than the Kaywa version).

I've also used QR Codes to design real-life games. Like orienteering, you can get people to "hunt" for the next QR Code in a series. When they find the right QR Code, reading it (with their phone reader) provides their next clue (either as decoded text, or, if more data is required e.g. images as a link to a mobile web page)... and so the hunt goes on...

Loads of fun for all. Need more ideas? I can also provide ideas for how these things can be used for advertising and marketing, education, virtual/augmented reality, communications and more, but I hate to ramble on and on, LoL... PM or email me if anyone wants more info...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronde! View Post

I've also used QR Codes to design real-life games. Like orienteering, you can get people to "hunt" for the next QR Code in a series. When they find the right QR Code, reading it (with their phone reader) provides their next clue (either as decoded text, or, if more data is required e.g. images as a link to a mobile web page)... and so the hunt goes on...
    Yeah, I like that one! Thanks

See this follow up thread on a suggested QR code extension for Firefox: Anyone want to write a Firefox extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronde! View Post
    ...I've also used QR Codes to design real-life games. Like orienteering, you can get people to "hunt" for the next QR Code in a series. When they find the right QR Code, reading it (with their phone reader) provides their next clue (either as decoded text, or, if more data is required e.g. images as a link to a mobile web page)... and so the hunt goes on...
    I may be completely missing the point here, but could not the material that the QR code is written on just contain the clue in normal writing?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I may be completely missing the point here, but could not the material that the QR code is written on just contain the clue in normal writing?
    Yes. But with a QR Code you can have so much more than text. It would be interesting to link to a video clue, for example, a la Loki's videos from "The Vanishing Point"; and you could also incorporate other information like GPS coordinates, map images, or what have you...

Thread Information