Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power-plate: does it work ?

Power-plate: does it work ?

Well a new thingy has appeared at my gym today. Power-plate they call it, you know that thingy that has a plate on which you stand and vibrates, and supposedly it's going to make all the muscles of your body work without even hurting. It promises to make your core muscle work in particular and to bring you more strength, flexibility, balance, less fat, and even better circulation and skin. Sounds a bit too good to be true, no ?

So I tried the thingy, or more accurately, the monster, today. I have to say there is some truth: it doesn't hurt. Did I really exercise though ?
    But frankly it's quite an unpleasant experience. You feel the vibrations *wait for the first one to make the cheap joke*, depending on the exercise, in every bone of your body, and that ain't great especially when it reaches the skull. A bit like if you had a pneumatic drill going through your forehead.

I think I wouldn't mind keeping trying it and working past that fairly unpleasant feeling if I knew that really worked though.

So, has anybody tried it for some time ? Were the results really up to the hype ?
    Does it really work to improve balance ? (not that I need it, I'm like an equilibrist myself, you'd never see me lose it in a spin, I'm just asking for a friend ) Any exercise in particular for that ?
    Last edited by Caro; 5th-January-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Re: Power-plate: does it work ?

I saw this being demonstrated at The Ideal Home Show (I declined to try it since I thought the hundreds of bystanders could live without having to watch my blubber shaking all about). I don't know if it works though. Does anyone know?

You see, as you get older, things get confusing.

A power-plate is what I used to call the thing I cooked my soup on at school...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    A power-plate is what I used to call the thing I cooked my soup on at school...
    You had to cook your own soup at school?

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    You had to cook your own soup at school?
    Public school.

Toast, beans, soup, tinned custard, rice pudding - all staple diet for post-rugby, pre-supper hours on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and pretty much all day Sunday.

Blog Entries

Public school.

Toast, beans, soup, tinned custard, rice pudding - all staple diet for post-rugby, pre-supper hours on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and pretty much all day Sunday.
    Is that what you overheard whilst performing your duties as a toast rack?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

But frankly it's quite an unpleasant experience. You feel the vibrations, depending on the exercise, in every bone of your body, and that ain't great especially when it reaches the skull. A bit like if you had a pneumatic drill going through your forehead.
    We've got one at our gym too but I've only tried it once, as I felt like my teeth were going to fall out! And my eyesight went all blurred as well, surely that can't be good for you?

Its got a huge poster, showing all the exercises you can do on it, stating that every rep is equal to about 5 normal reps, which does make it sound very tempting but then it also has a huge warning poster,saying all the reasons one shouldn't use it too!
    Did I really exercise though ?
    I haven't a clue.. the only thing I'm sure of, is it must get the blood circulating, as the skin on my legs felt really itchy after, which could be good if you suffer from circulatory problems I suppose
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    We've got one at our gym too but I've only tried it once, as I felt like my teeth were going to fall out!
    Doesn't it warn you to take them out before you start?
    (Gav runs and hides)

Well a new thingy has appeared at my gym today. Power-plate they call it..... snip..
    I've used one for a while and also researched it a lot. You'll find that there are conflicting views; the knee jerk reaction view is that it's a fad. But if you dig deeper it does seem to have benefits you can't get as easily, or as quickly, elsewhere.

Basically the vibrations put your body into a state of 'shock' which means that your muscles rapidly contract and expand. You can do this in any form of exercise, but the benefit of a PP is that it does this with muscles that are also outside of your conscious control. In particular it's very effective for core muscles.

Again, you can exercise these with pilates for example, but pilates takes time to get right and a series of exercises is also relatively time consuming. A PP exercises a number of these muscles without you having to even think about it.

The evidence appears to suggest that because of this rapid movement, it does increase blood flow and can increase bone density - and it seems logical that this would be the case. It is also claimed that it increases certain hormone levels, and I have to say that I have always felt great after using one. And unlike you, I didn't find the experience jarring or uncomfortable in any way. I've also found that I have less problems with my lower back, which used to be a constant irritation prior to using the machine

If you don't have time to do a proper workout then it's got to be better than sitting on a couch scratching your ar*e - it only takes 15-20 mins.

Having said that, I think most gyms would recommend that you use it conjunction with normal exercise rather than instead of, because there is no aerobic element - so it's a great exercise to combine with regular dancing.

Public school.

That's all right then. I thought you were a poor little Oliver Twist having to fend for yourself and live on soup.

(yes, I know Oliver Twist actually had to live on gruel not soup.)

I've got one of the smaller ones at home. Definitely a fad......it now sits in the corner looking sorry for itself, waiting for another punter to come and take it away.

I used it quite a bit at first and was quite enthusiastic about it. But even though you get off it feeling like you have done a bit, its never the same feeling as having a workout.

I tend to stick to the treadmill and the cross trainer now tbh.

Commercial Operator

I've used them - if you do a full program of the more difficult exercises you end up knackered & sweating buckets, so yes i think it works.

All you need to know about: Power-plate | Weekend | Guardian Unlimited

Used by Jonathan Ross - says it all, doesn't it? Sadly, no pictures.

Blog Entries

Well, inspired by this thread, I've booked myself in with an instructor, to show me how to use it properly.

My training session is next Tuesday morning and I shall make my decision whether I'm going to give it a proper trial after that.

So, watch this space. I'll be your forum guinea pig!

If you notice any teeth missing at Southport, you'll know why!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Well, I've just had my induction to the 'Power Plate'

I was quite specific about my requirements and asked for exercises to target three area's only. My Bum, tummy and the back of my arms (triceps)

According to the instructor, no one (other than olympic athlete's) would use the top settings. So he started me off on all the lowest.. you have a choice of 30, 45 or 60 seconds

then the speed of vibration which is 30, 35, 40, 45, or 50

And lastly Hi or Low

I started off with a squat for 30 secs but to be honest, I'm very used to doing them with weights and really didn't feel 'anything' at all, so he immediately stepped up to 45 seconds of one leg squats and I felt that

When my centre of gravity was low, (knees deeply bent) I didn't feel the vibration too badly, but as I started to stand up straight, my vision blurred and my teeth chattered ... he said that some people wear a soft gum shield to bite on.

I couldn't take anymore than 30 seconds on the abdominal crunches, as I felt like my insides were being liquified, also its amazing how moving your head a tiny fraction can increase the the vibration felt in it. I think its something I'm going to have to work out for myself by trial and error.

So here's what i'm going to be doing on it for the next month.. after my morning classes...

2 x's 1 legged squats (slow pulses at the bottom) x 45 seconds
    2 x pelvic bridge (also targeting the butt) (slow pulses) x 45 seconds
    2 x backward lunges (using a step to decrease the angle from the floor) (slow pulses) x 45 secs
    2 x abdominal crunches, (held still, in the stressed position) x 30secs
    2 x tricep dips, (held still, in the stressed position) x 30 secs (ouch)

All done in under 7 minutes!

Anyway, it all sounds a bit too good to be true really but I'll give it a month and let you all know if I notice any changes or improvement or if I think its a waste of time!
    Last edited by Lory; 22nd-January-2008 at 02:15 PM.

well done Lory, you're the official forum guiney pig !!!

I have been using the powerplate since that first post almost everyday for about 15 minutes. There are certain positions that I just don't do because of the vibrations going through my head, but generally for most exercises small changes in the way you distribute your weight do the trick (i.e. bend knees more and put more weight on the balls of the feet).

The main reasons I've kept going on were 1. balance and 2. toning

According to the instructor, no one (other than olympic athlete's) would use the top settings. So he started me off on all the lowest.. you have a choice of 30, 45 or 60 seconds

then the speed of vibration which is 30, 35, 40, 45, or 50

And lastly Hi or Low
    I wish my instructor told me that
    I'm now on 40 for vibrations, 30 sec, and low (to minimise the nastiness - except for my balance exercises).

30 sec is way enough for me, I struggle to hold the deep squat position and some arms ones.

So here's what i'm going to be doing on it for the next month.. after my morning classes...

2 x's 1 legged squats (slow pulses at the bottom) x 45 seconds
    2 x pelvic bridge (also targeting the butt) (slow pulses) x 45 seconds
    2 x backward lunges (using a step to decrease the angle from the floor) (slow pulses) x 45 secs
    2 x abdominal crunches, (held still, in the stressed position) x 30secs
    2 x tricep dips, (held still, in the stressed position) x 30 secs (ouch)
    I do some squats, abs, calves, pelvic bridge, lunges, triceps and biceps. Then stretch and massage (that I like )

I've also made up my own balance exercises, for which I use the 'high' setting to make it harder. I basically stand on the ball of one foot, core contracted, and I hold it. Now I've added head twists from side to side now to make it harder.
    Any better idea for exercises to improve balance specifically ?
    (knowing that my next banana is assisted pirouettes - yes that might take a while )

Anyway, it all sounds a bit too good to be true really but I'll give it a month and let you all know if I notice any changes or improvement or if I think its a waste of time!
    Since I started I've lost about 2 kilos (that ain't great given that I also do an hour of cardio and I'm on a diet, and my body fat percentage has only very slightly decreased), but over 17 cm in various places around my body. My thighs in particular do look more toned (although a bit too much on the quadriceps for my liking ). So I'm still a fatty, but a more compact one

Anyway... I expect I'll blow everything up again on the cruise so I'll be back at the gym in feb

Blog Entries

well done Lory,

~snip~

I have been using the powerplate since that first post almost everyday for about 15 minutes.
    Well done to YOU!

The main reasons I've kept going on were 1. balance and 2. toning
    I'd never really concidered it for balance, so it'll be interesting to see if your experiment works too!

I do some squats, abs, calves, pelvic bridge, lunges, triceps and biceps.
    Similar to mine, although I definitely don't need my calves any bigger or harder

(knowing that my next banana is assisted pirouettes
    Wow, I'd forgotten about that.. I'm pleased to say I completed mine a little while back .. I'll have to think of a new one now!

Since I started I've lost about 2 kilos (that ain't great given that I also do an hour of cardio and I'm on a diet, and my body fat percentage has only very slightly decreased), but over 17 cm in various places around my body. My thighs in particular do look more toned (although a bit too much on the quadriceps for my liking ).
    Don't forget, musicle weighs more than fat, so don't take any notice of the scales

So I'm still a fatty, but a more compact one
    Snap!

Anyway... I expect I'll blow everything up again on the cruise so I'll be back at the gym in feb
    I totally blew mine in Cuba over New year but I enjoyed it and now I'm back for the long haul!

Commercial Operator

Any better idea for exercises to improve balance specifically ?
    (knowing that my next banana is assisted pirouettes - yes that might take a while )
    How about headstands and handstands? These need you to have a great deal of balance. Try doing them against a wall first maybe.

Blog Entries

well done Lory, you're the official forum guiney pig !!!
    Guiney pig reporting in!

Well, the jury's still out i'm afraid

I think i've been using it for 5 weeks now, although not everyday, as i hate 'waiting' for it. I usually try to use it as soon as i've come out of a class but if someone's just started on it, I won't wait, as i start to cool down too much. So I'd say I use it about 3 x's per week.

I just don't know if its working or not. the trouble is, when you do a lot of exercise anyway, how do you know what's doing what
    A couple of things that do seem to have improved are, my bum and backs of arms, which feel firmer but then again, they may have done anyway?

One other thing, I've ignored the initial advice of the trainer and have now stepped up to almost the maximum settings for everything except for the ones which involve 'sitting' on the plate e.g. crunches

The thing I found is very good and would definitely recommend it for, is stretching, for some reason it helps enormously, especially for the calves and quads!

My gym have said they've ordered 'more' (?) and as soon as they arrive, they'll be starting group training sessions, so I've provisionally put my name down. That should be interesting!

How are you doing Caro?

We have one of those sodding machines at my gym. First time I heard it, I thought we had the builders in. I've never been on it and I still hate it. When in use it makes every traditional machine within a 5metre radius vibrates in unison. Nasty.

Daisy

(A Shaken but not Stirred Little Flower)
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 26th-February-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information