Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synonym for "perv"

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Synonym for "perv"

So, I was using this term in another place , and it was pointed out that this term (which I thought was self-explanatory) could be misconstrued to mean - for example - non-heterosexual, rather than "Someone who gives unwanted sexual attention on the dance floor".

So, can anyone think of good synonym for "perv", which provides that meaning?

Re: Synonym for "perv"

Surely 'sleaze' is the one in most common use? (both in terms of the word, and in frequency among Ceroc men...)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Surely 'sleaze' is the one in most common use? (both in terms of the word, and in frequency among Ceroc men...)
    Good one, I'll suggest that.

Hmm... "perv" is short for "pervert" – which my dictionary says means "a person whose sexual behavior is regarded as abnormal and unacceptable"

So I think your use is valid, however, some people are less accepting than others and regard homosexuality as abnormal and/or unacceptable. Perhaps this is more common on the other side of the Atlantic.

I think Tessa's suggestion of "sleaze" is a good one, though it may again have a slightly different resonance in the US. Dunno.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I use the word perve when I've been 'perving' on a tasty male specimen...surely that's not unacceptable or abnormal?

"perve" ... reasonably harmless yet unwanted sexual attention - for the gratification of the perver rather than the pervee. Perver is generally aware of personal boundaries.
    "sleaze"... is perve with higher intensity, and goes past the social boundaries ... so much so the silly perver becomes reckless and the intentions are far more obvious to the pervee... usually allowing pervee opportunity to retaliate.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    and it was pointed out that this term (which I thought was self-explanatory) could be misconstrued to mean - for example - non-heterosexual
    Only to mad people. As soon as you start changing language for the sake of a few bewildered and/or demented people you don't feel safe saying anything anymore. I think there's quite enough of THAT already

Just practice nodding and smiling to agree with aforementioned loony, and back slowly out of the room - virtually if its a forum...unless you can find a "backing slowly out of a room whilst nodding cheerfully" smiley. Though I can't imagine what one would look like and I'm sure the physical subtlety would be lost.

Sleaze is the word we use to describe certain individuals on the dance floor you know the type who usa more hands than is nessacary especially on new dancers who dont know the paticular sleaze
    It is one of the few things that annoys me at any dance

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Sleaze is the word we use to describe certain individuals on the dance floor you know the type who usa more hands than is nessacary especially on new dancers who dont know the paticular sleaze
    It is one of the few things that annoys me at any dance
    I have an in-built sleaze detector... never failed me yet

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    I have an in-built sleaze detector... never failed me yet
    Good for you
    I usually watch out for the ones i am thinking about and make sure either i or someone else asks Barbs for a dance before they get to her so as to defend her from the people who think that dancing is a good escuse to put your hands where they shouldnt be
    I mean we all have accidental slips form tome to time but if you dance with care and consideration for your partner it very rairly happens and when it does i think i am more embaresed than the lady i am dancing with (and i dont get embarresed easily

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Only to mad people. As soon as you start changing language for the sake of a few bewildered and/or demented people....................
    Why do you assume those with an aversion to homosexuality are mad, bewildered or demented, or have I misunderstood your comment

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Good for you
    I usually watch out for the ones i am thinking about and make sure either i or someone else asks Barbs for a dance before they get to her so as to defend her from the people who think that dancing is a good escuse to put your hands where they shouldnt be
    I mean we all have accidental slips form tome to time but if you dance with care and consideration for your partner it very rairly happens and when it does i think i am more embaresed than the lady i am dancing with (and i dont get embarresed easily
    Yep, mistakes happen () but when it's done deliberately and repeatedly - Dancing is fun, it shouldn't involve having to avoid certain dancers. But one good thing (yep there is one!) about avoiding the suspects is, it has made me go and ask for dances, something I was really shy about doing when I first started..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Why do you assume those with an aversion to homosexuality are mad, bewildered or demented, or have I misunderstood your comment
    I think he meant in general, like P.C going completely over the top..

How about "creep" as a synonym for "perv"? Probably better understood in the US and Canada too.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Yes you have Its about use of a word, not what anyones personal aversions may be.

So, I was using this term in another place , and it was pointed out that this term (which I thought was self-explanatory) could be misconstrued to mean - for example - non-heterosexual, rather than "Someone who gives unwanted sexual attention on the dance floor".

So, can anyone think of good synonym for "perv", which provides that meaning?
    Whoever pointed that out to you is, surely, wrong?

I've never heard it said that there is a 'gay' hint within the word perv. Pervs are lechers, there's no suggestion that they swing one way or the other...

Blog Entries

Ummm, well they are aren't they? At least in the sense that homophobia is irrational - it's like having a fear of people with green eyes or something. I'm not saying homophobes are all nutters - but homophobia is generally classed with other prejudices like racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Whoever pointed that out to you is, surely, wrong?

I've never heard it said that there is a 'gay' hint within the word perv. Pervs are lechers, there's no suggestion that they swing one way or the other...
    Yes, that's my approach - however, I wasn't sure of my ground in terms of US-terminology, and as dance-forums is largely American, I thought I'd humour the person involved. Because I'm kind that way.

I would suggest 'groper', cos that's what they do!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lory View Post
    I would suggest 'groper', cos that's what they do!
    That was suggested, but I think that's a bit limiting - also, groping is not necessarily unwanted, so I've heard.

Hell, I'm sticking with perv, nuts to the bloody Americans...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

That was suggested, but I think that's a bit limiting - also, groping is not necessarily unwanted, so I've heard.

Hell, I'm sticking with perv, nuts to the bloody Americans...
    you mean pervy Americans surely

Thread Information