Thread: My Fake Baby

Blog Entries

My Fake Baby

Well i did really want an early night last night as i was tired but after bringing back my little one from the theatre, putting him to bed, i made the fatal mistake of putting the tv on while i drank my cup of tea and channel four plus 1 was showing the end of a story about a half ton lady who died and then a programme called My Fake Baby.

Basically, women buy these dolls that look extremely like real babies and treat them as babies. ie; pushing them around in prams, buying clothes for them, taking them to tesco's, taking pictures of them. Its kinda wacky.

When my eldest got to about 9, i started to realise my role as a mother looking after a baby(as in cuddles, wiping tears, wiping bums, dressing him etc) was somewhat no longer needed as he was so independent with regards normal motherly things, my answer to this was im going to have another one. I underplay the feeling as it was quite a stronge urge to nuture another child. Does this mean that when my youngest gets to about 9 that i too will want a fake baby.....

Did anybody see it, would you have one, explain it to me somebody......

Re: My Fake Baby

No blokes buying the fake babies, I presume?

Still, if it stops the women involved nicking someone else's baby...

I watched a program some time ago about a bunch of murders in the USA which led to the creation of a new category of crime.

Women making friends with pregnant women (in two cases, over the internet) and then, when the pregnant women come to term, the 'friend' murders them, cuts them open, steals the - ? - foetus/baby, and then pretending it is their own. (Having previously pretended to be pregnant, in one case to her own husband.)

So, plastic imitation babies starts to seem a bit less extreme!

A women at my sons school has one - it is kinda strange to see this fake baby being treated like a real one. It does look incredibly real but ultimately it is lifeless and is no different to an ordinary doll. I think it is just grown ups playing dolls.

That feeling of 'wanting' and pretty much 'needing' a child is a strong one (I hope I never feel it again!) but you can't nurture a piece of plastic!

Then again - whatever rocks a persons boat...

I think we saw only one sane lady who owned these dolls - the lady who had always collected dolls.
    I felt most for the grandma who had a doll made in the likeness of her grandson when he was a baby. My opinion is that she would have spent her money better going on a trip to NZ to see him.
    To me the lady who bought the £400 outfit in Harrods for her 5th/6th reborn was just plain odd!
    Even if I could never have kids I would never want a make-believe baby. I didn't play with dolls as a child and see no attraction in them as an adult.

I saw a brief part of this programme and it reminded me a lot of the similar show repeated a few weeks back about the men who buy 'realistic' adult dolls for companionship (and presumably a bit more besides). I can't quite understand the mindset myself but as others have pointed out if it makes the doll owner happy then who are we to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

Did anybody see it, would you have one, explain it to me somebody......

I saw it thought their mad then thought their sane

I think as long as they realise its fake then no harm done

I've just read all the posts in this thread and I'm really wishing I'd seen the programme.

It sounds totally bizarre and quite sad. What is the point of the fake babies supposed to be? Are these women unable to have real babies?

The women must be so sad and desperate to do something as ludicrous as going through the mothering motions with a plastic doll. I feel very sorry for them.

Gav was watching bloody James flippin' Bond so I missed both of those programs and wanted to watch both.

Grrrrr...!

I watched Michelle Heaton getting repeatedly and extremely drunk in an effort to examine the dangers of binge drinking. She had to give up when she got pins and needles in her arm for three hours and then woke up in the night with palpitations. Her liver function had gone from 85% functional cells to 14% in only three weeks - mind you her calculated intake was in excess of 120 units a week. (She hopelessly under-estimated - her 'double' vodka was actually a quadruple, for example.)

The booze was also wrecking her voice, her looks, and undermining her relationship with her husband.

It was a surprisingly compelling programme.

I was reminded of an old girlfriend who recounted the day, as a teenager, when her grandad caught her smoking. He made her smoke the whole packet and she was never tempted again...

Might be a good idea to get Britney Spears and Amy Winehouse to make similar programs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Gav was watching bloody James flippin' Bond so I missed both of those programs and wanted to watch both.

Grrrrr...!
    thats the great thing of being on your own sis...... u can do what you want........!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I've just read all the posts in this thread and I'm really wishing I'd seen the programme.

It sounds totally bizarre and quite sad. What is the point of the fake babies supposed to be? Are these women unable to have real babies?

The women must be so sad and desperate to do something as ludicrous as going through the mothering motions with a plastic doll. I feel very sorry for them.
    Well one older lady had looked after her grandson as her daughter had cancer. She met and fell in love with a new Zealand guy and moved away. She mourned the grandson as he had virtually grown up to 3 while with her. She was the newbie to it all and had a doll made as near to he was as a baby and went to collect it. It gave her comfort. The husband however, felt it was like a dead body and stayed well away from it. She joined a forum and started going to one of the other ladies that collected them.

There was a rather strange woman though who spent 300 quid in harrods on this new doll that she went to New York to collect. She had to spend two days bonding with it before she could take it back. She bonded with it then discovered it had a crack in its head. This was very upsetting for her as she found out this the day she was flying back and had to send the doll back and go home without it. She was strange. i think she took it to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss View Post
    That feeling of 'wanting' and pretty much 'needing' a child is a strong one (I hope I never feel it again!) but you can't nurture a piece of plastic!

I was lucky I got pregnant quickly I can imagine each month hoping, I feel like a 28 year old and part of me still thinks I could have another baby if I decided to, at almost 46 its probably unrealistic.

I can see the atraction in these dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post

It sounds totally bizarre and quite sad. The women must be so sad and desperate to do something as ludicrous as going through the mothering motions with a plastic doll. I feel very sorry for them.
    I'm not sure they need your sypathy.

The one lady in the show, didn't wan't her own baby, but was just happy to have the doll.

live and let live

watched this - and found the dolls very disturbing - they looked so life like but they weren't - which meant they looked more like corpses.

not sure what to make of the women that had them - the doll collecter was the only one that struck me as not in need of some therapy....

but as with most things each to their own ... just don't ask me to hold one

At my sons' secondary school they had these fake babies that cried really loudly, and only stopped when picked up.

I think they even wet themselves.

All the kids had to have a go at looking after one for a school week. Even the boys.

I thought it was a great idea.

Bet it put a lot of the teenagers off having a real baby.

To each their own. Even if people think that they're odd (myself included) if it's not hurting anybody...

However. The woman recreating her Grandson? I felt quite sorry for her at first as it seemed as though the little boy had died. When it was eventually revealed that he was living in New Zealand I just couldn't understand it really. Especially when she showed the doll to him on webcam. I personally would feel really odd if my Grandparents did the same thing.

I have limited experience with young kids but I'd be inclined to worry that he might wonder if Granny had replaced him somehow?

I'm with the Grandfather's opinion...they remind me of something on a mortuary slab and creeped me out a bit.

xXx

If it gives them pleasure, and doesn't harm anyone else, what's the problem?

I can see in a few years down the line – 5 to 10 years – the creation of "robot" babies/dolls. They'll be just like the real thing, but they never grow up – oh, and, the best bit would be they would have an "off" switch.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

*snip*When my eldest got to about 9, i started to realise my role as a mother looking after a baby(as in cuddles, wiping tears, wiping bums, dressing him etc) was somewhat no longer needed as he was so independent with regards normal motherly things, my answer to this was im going to have another one. I underplay the feeling as it was quite a stronge urge to nuture another child. Does this mean that when my youngest gets to about 9 that i too will want a fake baby.....*snip*
    Maybe having a second one and going through all the nappy changes and sleep deprivation at an older age might change your tune about having a third one. I think the hormones tone down eventually .... I'm hoping for my sake they will!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    Maybe having a second one and going through all the nappy changes and sleep deprivation at an older age might change your tune about having a third one. I think the hormones tone down eventually .... I'm hoping for my sake they will!
    Well firstly i will be too old to have a third child and funnily enough the second child was so much nicer to have than the first. I hated everything about the time with my first one, i was too young and not ready for the bolt having a child gives you. With the second one, i was ready, knew what was coming and loved every single bit of it even the sleep deprevation did not bother me.

I have no urges to have more children however, i value my freedom too much and the older i get the more selfish i get with my time. If, however, i had not had my second child, there would have been a large unfulfilled gap in my life and i can sort of understand where these women come from. The urge to have a child when a woman gets it takes over your life. Very strong it is.

Well firstly i will be too old to have a third child
    Didnt know you were over 54 !!

whats too old 35 ?

Blog Entries

When my youngest son is 9 i will be 44.,...... too old for a baby. but still gorgeous and young enough to pull

Thread Information