Thread: Cambridge Diet (meal replacement)

Cambridge Diet (meal replacement)

Anyone done this one ?

The 'life style changes' dont work for me at present and I want like a few million others to loes some weight at start of new year (2 stone +)

Is this one as good as another ?

yes short term fix then back on life syle etc etc

I dont believe in diets long term

Commercial Operator

Re: Cambridge Diet (meal replacement)

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I don't believe in short term diets. If I want to make a permanent change to my tendency to gain weight, it means making a permanent change to my diet and my day-to-day habits. A short-term diet can make a huge difference, sure - but going back to old habits later will inevitably return one to the old condition that prompted the diet in the first place....

Me too.

--

When I first started loosing weight, I did the special 'k' challenge, 2 bowls, 2 meals, 2 weeks

Basically, make sure you eat special k for breakfast (I suppose it could be swapped with any healthy(ish) cereal) then have another bowl for lunch, but make sure you eat a good dinner. - I stuck to it for the first two weeks of losing weight and I lost roughly half a stone, it's a good kickstart for those wanting to loose weight.

-edit-

After reading straycat's post, just wanted to highlight the kickstart part, it should be used as a kickstart to loose weight!

Just don't do the whole starve yourself thing, doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I don't believe in short term diets. If I want to make a permanent change to my tendency to gain weight, it means making a permanent change to my diet and my day-to-day habits. A short-term diet can make a huge difference, sure - but going back to old habits later will inevitably return one to the old condition that prompted the diet in the first place....
    I lost 2 stone 2yrs ago and people notice it and i felt a bit better (life style change)

Im now at 17st may not look it as over 6ft tall but found very few stores at the 'up market' Bicester Village do size 40inch waist

Its easy to say life syle change and i have for last 6 months and nothing has happened

I would see a diet as a 'kick start'

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I used it years ago, I lasted about a week because it made me feel really ill! Quick fixes don't work, you'll put on the weight again, and more, in about 2 weeks!

Anyone done this one ?

The 'life style changes' dont work for me at present and I want like a few million others to loes some weight at start of new year (2 stone +)

My recommendation:

• Buy a book on caloric values of food - many about, reasonably cheap.
    • Ensure you average less than 1500 calories a day.
    • Go dancing, walk when you can.

You should lose 2lbs a day without problems.

You quickly get a feel for how many calories there are in basic foods - butter, eggs, and so forth, fish and chips and kebabs - and for shop bought stuff, read the label. (It's not perfect; sometimes the label will say "112 calories per 100gms", but the packet is sold as "90 cls"; or it says "95 calories per portion", but they don't tell you how many portions are in the packet.) But it's workable.

Fancy a Mars Bar? 200 calories, or whatever; you have to eat less for dinner. Fried breakfast? Same same. Watch out for alcohol - lotta calories.

If it makes you feel safer (it doess me) take vitamin and mineral supplements to ensure you don't lose out while you keep the calories down.

Oh, and a tip: get some Remegel chews; take one when your stomach is howling and empty and it'll keep you going for a bit longer before you have to eat. After a while your stomach gets used to the new regime and you don't feel so hungry.

Big advantage over Cambridge diet - A LOT cheaper. And you are your own boss.

(Me, I'm going for an even lower calorie intake for two weeks and then stepping up to 1500 a day.)

Doing any meal replacement diet properly you will lose weight, but as soon as you stop it, you will put the weight straight back on.

You don't need to change your whole lifestyle in a scary/radical way to lose weight... You can just make some adjustments to cut out extra calories which have caused the weight gain. These changes could be cooking the same food differently (ie grilling/baking instead of frying), changing creamy sauces to tomato-based ones, eliminating any obvious no-nos (choc bars, fried chips or doughnuts) in favour of something healthier, and also thinking about the cals in what you drink as well as eat.

You can get used to these changes surprisingly quickly.

I don't buy into these cut out chocolate etc plans,

Losing weight is easy, we're all just brainwashed to think it's hard!

Calorie controled diets are daft, the atkins diet... diets in general are stupid.

Want to lose weight? Learn to listen to your body, do some research, find out how your body works.

The way I lose weight is by simply eating what I fancy when I fancy it. If I fancy eating some chocolate at 10pm, then I'll have some. If I fancy eating pancakes at 5am, I'll make some and eat them. BUT - here's the bit that's clever, you need to understand what the difference is between fancying something and being bored.

The best 'lose weight' advice I've heard and agree with entirely is paul mckennor's "I can make you thin". - Know why? Cause he talks common sense, he actually tells you to eat stuff like chocolate and cake etc.

I went from a 36" waist to a 28" waist in around 8-10 months, dancing helped the speed, but other than that, I didn't do any diets except a kickstart one - the special K one I mentioned above - the rest was relearning how to listen to my body.

Both Hev Mate & Jules have done it and lost sheds of weight - Jules lost nearly 4 stone and Hev looked almost skinny on NYE

However, it does takes a lot to stay on it - I did it for about a month, then got really really bored

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

etc etc etc
    It was very easy for me when I was in my twenties too.
    In fact - putting on weight was the hard part.

As I'm nearing forty, things are a bit different, and it is no longer the case.
    Plus - my body simply doesn't handle things that are bad for it as well as it used to. I cannot consume what I used to and hope to stay fit and healthy - so one way or another, there will be changes. It's just up to me what those changes are...

I didnt have a proble with weight im my 20s (my eating habbits havent changed and I didnt dance then)

The middle age spread must have other reasons as well

I saw the half ton lady on channel 4 last night cira 62 stone aged 29

She went into have her stomach stablle/tied (terminolgy ?)

Anyway she dide two weeks late ,very sad

However not once did we see what she was being fed

I cant believe you can stay at 62st if your on a resonable meal plan ??

I used to work with a woman many years ago who used to wash her dinner down with one of these meal replacement diets and then wonder why she was putting on weight!

Commercial Operator

I cant believe you can stay at 62st if your on a resonable meal plan ??
    I somehow suspect not. I didn't see the whole programme, but I also wondered why we didn't see what she was fed... there was mention of her enjoying eight burgers in one meal, but that was about it. Was there any mention of any attempt whatsoever to improve her diet? It seemed like a strange omission - one would have thought that would be the first thing they'd have tried. Especially as, bed-ridden as she was, she wasn't exactly in a position to cheat on any diet they put her on.

Very sad, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I somehow suspect not. I didn't see the whole programme, but I also wondered why we didn't see what she was fed... there was mention of her enjoying eight burgers in one meal, but that was about it. Was there any mention of any attempt whatsoever to improve her diet? It seemed like a strange omission - one would have thought that would be the first thing they'd have tried. Especially as, bed-ridden as she was, she wasn't exactly in a position to cheat on any diet they put her on.

Very sad, as you said.
    There have been a number of these progammes on now and it seems they show a loving wife/mother farther etc who still feeds this people ie killing them

Apparently 2 million people in the USA are over 40 stone, somthing they dont obvioulsy find hard to swallow

Anyone done this one ?

Is the one with colour coded packets of food that you eat? My mum's friend did that. She got put on it through her doctor as you have to have a certain BMI. It cost her a fortune and within a month of stopping the diet she was back up her 'before' weight.

I too need to lose some weight, but for me it's a simple case of exercising.

Now where's my gym kit

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Both Hev Mate & Jules have done it and lost sheds of weight - Jules lost nearly 4 stone and Hev looked almost skinny on NYE

However, it does takes a lot to stay on it - I did it for about a month, then got really really bored

Hev looked fab didn't she

they all work you have to be on them for it to work though

I have been at my target weight for 3 years its 10st 6lb I weighed in on Wednesday class at 10 st 4.5 lb 1.5 Lb under target (that still in target) 3 lb tolarance.

I'm still on the plan and it works perhaps thats why I do the job I do

Calorie controled diets are daft, the atkins diet... diets in general are stupid.

Want to lose weight? Learn to listen to your body, do some research, find out how your body works.

The way I lose weight is by simply eating what I fancy when I fancy it. If I fancy eating some chocolate at 10pm, then I'll have some. If I fancy eating pancakes at 5am, I'll make some and eat them. BUT - here's the bit that's clever, you need to understand what the difference is between fancying something and being bored.

The best 'lose weight' advice I've heard and agree with entirely is paul mckennor's "I can make you thin". - Know why? Cause he talks common sense, he actually tells you to eat stuff like chocolate and cake etc.

I went from a 36" waist to a 28" waist in around 8-10 months, dancing helped the speed, but other than that, I didn't do any diets except a kickstart one - the special K one I mentioned above - the rest was relearning how to listen to my body.

That's worked for me - I weigh a stone and a half less than in my late teens.

As for listening to my body - best not at the moment as I have winter vomiting virus. It's not pretty.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    You should lose 2lbs a day without problems.
    I think you mean 'a week' don't you Barry

My sister's recently done the Cambridge diet and lost loads. But as Jamie said, she used it as a kick start. I was very impressed!

The trouble most people (me included) have, is, when we've set our mind on doing something about it, we want to actually 'do something' about it and see instant results.

Simply cutting down or making small changes, doesn't make us feel like were actively 'doing' very much, so its easy to get bored or simply forget and end up resorting back to our 'default' bad habits.

Doing something like the Cambridge, is a massive change, you basically eat nothing 'normal', so the feeling of achievement is enormous!

I tried it once years ago but like Caro, it made me feel ill Thinking back, maybe I didn't drink enough fluids whilst on it?

For me, I found joining a gym and getting a personal trainer to kick my butt, gave me the sense of 'doing something' but I know its not practical for everyone. (BTW, I only had the trainer to start me off in the right direction and occasionally now, when I feel I need some encouragement)

Seeing how well my sister did before Xmas, I'd say go for it but only use it short term!

During that time, empty your cupboards and re stock with only healthy foods

Having just had 3 weeks 'off', I know how hard it is to 'start again' but after 3 days back at the gym, I can categorically state, it feels great to be back in control and doing something about it again!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Fletch has helped me over the last couple of years......which have been up and down and up and down (oo-er!) :mybestestpal:

But something has kicked in over the last couple of months which has put me in the right frame of mind.......

...which IMO is what its all about, whatever vessel you choose for weight-loss.
    Last edited by Genevieve; 17th-January-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo!

Thread Information