Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you up to date with ‘fashion’?

Are you up to date with ‘fashion’?

I bought some brown cords the other day as I was told they were back in ‘fashion’.

I last wore cords in mid 70s as a kid, tight blue ones when they were in fashion; I think I had a green pair as well

I haven’t a clue if cords are in fashion or have been for the 5yrs or for what age rage.

I have no fashion sense at all never have had but do know white socks with sandals not good and last few years its not fashionable to tuck your tee shirt in your trousers

Some people seem to be born with ‘fashion sense or know how’

I feel better if I ever dress smart/fashionable but never know ‘whets in etc’ or what would suit me. People over the years have always wanted to dress me

I watch for the first time the Devil wears Prada ‘ over xmas and thought how interesting re the 'fashion'

I also find Trinny and Suzette programs very interesting and can ‘see’ what looks good on people i.e. clothes that hide the fat bits etc

Can you in middle age ‘learn fashion’ or be taught to be more fashionable, assuming you want to be

Commercial Operator

Re: Are you up to date with ‘fashion’?

I honestly don't care in the slightest about fashion - but I am (chiefly through the very patient and gradual influence of my partner) becoming more and more aware of what clothes make me look good, and what clothes do not, and I'm getting more and more of a taste for the former.

Tucking in t-shirts - fashion be blowed - if your waistline is a little - more expanded - than it once was (like mine) tucking in t-shirts accentuates that and draws attention to it.

Sandals with socks (any colour socks) - yeah - that looks poor. Is it a fashion thing? No idea - but I doubt sandals with socks has ever been 'fashionable'. To me it gets rid of half the point of wearing sandals though.

Anyway - my advice is to forget fashion. Talk to someone who can advise you on what suits you and why - and be prepared to try a few things that you normally wouldn't consider. Once you start getting a feel for what works and what doesn't, selecting / buying clothes can become surprisingly good fun...

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Can you in middle age ‘learn fashion’ or be taught to be more fashionable, assuming you want to be
    Yeah you can be taught what to wear and what not to wear.

You first need to be completely knowledgable about yourself, what body type are you, what's your best assets and which bits do you want to be less prominent.

After that, it's picking the type of clothes to suit, for instance, I'm a short young man, I have short legs, but they are quite muscly so skinny/slim jeans on me look rediculous, People with short legs look better in flared/boot cut jeans and trousers.

As for cords, especially brown, they go with a nice shirt, quite smartish - smart casual I'd say.

So yes, well done on the cords, don't be afraid to try different things out

I've never followed fashion
    ok ok i know it shows
    whenever I did try to as a teenager it always went horribly wrong

and now dancing I wear SFT's (stupid fooking trousers) as Witty once said

Hey Ho!

All I can say is at least my trousers fit my arse and my knickers stay inside them. I've got a 15 year old son who thinks I'm a stiff anyway but won't listen to me when I say "Dare to be Different son!!! Wear clothes that fit!"

Don't get me onto to trainers instead of shoes there's a whole other skeleton of contention there!

Funny that no girls have posted on this yet?

I'm not into fashion. I know most of my clothes are pretty boring.... I hate clothes shopping!!

I very often have an idea of what kind of clothes I would like to buy, but when I go shopping I can never find anything that I like. And if I do find something I like, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't fit.

I desperately need new jeans, but shopping for jeans is a nightmare. As a girl you're not meant to have muscly legs and small hips and bum.

I've particularly disliked the fashion in the last year or so, with the horrible 80's style. It wasn't nice in the 80's, and it isn't nice now! Over sized, baggy t shirts in BRIGHT blue, yellow or green..... Super tight jeans...... Leggings (shudder).... Tunic style tops that hang straight down from your boobs and make even skinny girls look pregnant.... YUC!

I wonder why I always end up with black trousers and t-shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

You could hardly use the word fashion in the same sentence as 'girl dancer' ?

does that help

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

I'm not into fashion. I know most of my clothes are pretty boring.... I hate clothes shopping!!

I very often have an idea of what kind of clothes I would like to buy, but when I go shopping I can never find anything that I like. And if I do find something I like, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't fit.

I desperately need new jeans, but shopping for jeans is a nightmare. As a girl you're not meant to have muscly legs and small hips and bum.

I've particularly disliked the fashion in the last year or so, with the horrible 80's style. It wasn't nice in the 80's, and it isn't nice now! Over sized, baggy t shirts in BRIGHT blue, yellow or green..... Super tight jeans...... Leggings (shudder).... Tunic style tops that hang straight down from your boobs and make even skinny girls look pregnant.... YUC!

I wonder why I always end up with black trousers and t-shirts?
    Absolutely. I hate shopping because I can't find things that fit

I can somtimes have a quirky taste in fasion.

I try hard not to comment negitivaly about peoples clothes, but I do look somtimes at people and wonder if they have mirrors in there house.

S38 brown cords are Fab and Jamie is right a nice shirt would set them off. Are they Pegg with a pleat at the top?

I regularly watch the fasion channel to get ideas, I have recenly bought some long socks but I havn't had the operunity to wear them yet....ooooo now there's an idea for Hammersmith on Saturday.

S38...go for it with your cords!! I love a man in cords because they are a nice touchy-feely fabric. Brown is a nice colour for all ages and is fashionable without being scarily so.

I'm not sure if you can learn fashion sense. You can certainly get advice about what your body-shape and colouring are, and which styles/colours will suit them. But there is another element - you need to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and assess whether something looks good on you or not. Some people find that part difficult.

Just looking at a garment won't do - you need to look at it on you, so trying on a few alternatives before choosing is important. The more stuff you try on, the more you start to distinguish what is flattering and what is not.

The trouble with cords is that they wear out quick on the backside.

But I think expensive cord doesn't, as I once had a pair of beige trousers from Lily Whites that lasted forever.

I once bought a brown corderoy coat as a teenager and the part where you would sit on it soon became worn and shiney

That coat cost a lot too, but was from Richards - anyone remember them? Gone out of business deservedly.

Fashion has a way of always repeating itself but I wouldn't like to wear now what I used to wear in the 70s or 80s when those things first came out, mutton dressed as lamb springs to mind. I like a classic look now that doesn't lend itself to passing trends and dosen't look outdated but smart, and Audrey Hepburny for work.
    FLETCH we have to go shopping together one day
    Last edited by rubyred; 2nd-January-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

When I was younger my mother would never let me buy whatever was the latest fashion, which I'm glad of now 'cos I don't have any embarrassing photos of me wearing pedal pushers, ra-ra skirts, leg warmers, boiler suits, puff ball skirts etc.

Now I'm more concerned with being colourful rather than being fashionable but I wish I wasn't so clueless about accessorising.

I prefer to see a person who's comfortable with their own style rather than a posing fashion victim.

Cords can go out of fashion quite quickly - so make sure you don't get the really "thick" corded cords....

I would be into fashion if women's fashion wasn't so aimed at the teenage market. It seems a rather odd thing for the market to do - as the baby-boomers have far more income than the teenagers (not that I'm in either category, but probably more boomer than teen).

I also don't see the point in spending a lot of money on the latest fashions, as some of the "cuts" will go out of fashion quite quickly.

The only fashion item I am grateful for - and hope sticks around for a while - is the mid-waisted hipster. I cannot stand the high-waisted pants that cut into your tummy when you sit down! Then again, I'm not a huge fan of the "souffle" look with the low-waisted hipster pants - ew!

Someone called me old the other day because I didn't care that cardigans were 'in'. A year ago, it would have been because I WAS wearing one, but this time, it was because I wasn't. A complete 180 in I don't know how long - it's no wonder us old farts can't keep up!

Really, I think I need to go on one of these fashion makeover shows where they throw your wardrobe in a skip - I wear what's comfortable, or what i WANT to wear. Which is maybe 5 outfits. And I haven't had a haircut in years! Seond thoughts, maybe not - any fashion guru worth her salt might take one look at me and drop dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    Someone called me old the other day because I didn't care that cardigans were 'in'. A year ago, it would have been because I WAS wearing one, but this time, it was because I wasn't. A complete 180 in I don't know how long - it's no wonder us old farts can't keep up!

Really, I think I need to go on one of these fashion makeover shows where they throw your wardrobe in a skip - I wear what's comfortable, or what i WANT to wear. Which is maybe 5 outfits. And I haven't had a haircut in years! Seond thoughts, maybe not - any fashion guru worth her salt might take one look at me and drop dead!
    Give it a bit more time and your fashion may be the fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

But I think expensive cord doesn't, as I once had a pair of beige trousers from Lily Whites that lasted forever.

when I first used femine hygeen products they were called 'lilly whites'

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    When I was younger my mother would never let me buy whatever was the latest fashion, which I'm glad of now 'cos I don't have any embarrassing photos of me wearing pedal pushers, ra-ra skirts, leg warmers, boiler suits, puff ball skirts etc.

Now I'm more concerned with being colourful rather than being fashionable but I wish I wasn't so clueless about accessorising.

I prefer to see a person who's comfortable with their own style rather than a posing fashion victim.
    in my younger days I was a punk and my parents wouldn't let me go out in the clothes I wanted to, so I used to put them in a plastic bag and hide them in the bushes next door earlyer in the day (I was checked for bags as I got caught sneeking them out) I would then get changed in the bushes before I got the bus into town. I'm not good at been told what to do.

Accessorising is the key to and 'out fit' and it can cost more to dress an outfit with Accessories than the 'out fit' its self sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    Miffy you have your own style, very feminie, its about feeling good about yourself.

I would have your hair cut, but thats just my opinion

I love fashion. I read fashion magazines and go shopping whenever I can. However, I dont always follow it. I find fashion interesting and often inspiring but not everything that is on trend will suit everyone. So I guess my aim would be to combine elements of fashion, style, the ability to dress for your shape, individuality and creativity into a look. But ultimately wearing what feels good works everytime.

xxx

I'm very into fashion and always end up buying a few items that r in

for example

ugg boots

waistcoats

swing jackets

but i horde stuff ike gypsy skirts and body warmers

im not a slave 2 fashion coz i dnt lyk lookin like every1 else

i always add a touch of uniqueness

most recently iv started buying a lot of waistcoats like zara

i currently have 4!

also i like skinny t shirts with cookie monster, hello kitty and dirty dancing on them!

now that i am brunette i can wear yellow spongebob t shirts!

i couldnt really before because they clashed with my hair hehehe

sorry jamie hehehe

my biggest buy this year has been waistcoats and bakerboy hats

i love my bakerboy hats

iv got 10!

i think...

or is it 9?

i bought three this xmas because theyre so easy to cram on your head when your having a bad hair day!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    waistcoats
    Yay! I knew if I waited 20 years, I'd be Back In

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Yay! I knew if I waited 20 years, I'd be Back In
    Doubt it, the ones 20 years ago don't look as nice as the ones they make now, check me out at southport... I'm sure you'll agree

Thread Information