Thread: Good and bad areas in Glasgow?

Good and bad areas in Glasgow?

A friend of mine is planning to move from USA to Scotland in 2008, and have decided to move to Glasgow, or to somewhere not too far from Glasgow. She's never lived in Scotland before, and is looking at houses and flats to rent online. Unfortunately she doesn't know the area, and needs to know which places to avoid.. And where to get reasonably priced accomodation, too!

So, any areas in or around Glasgow that should definitely be avoided? She's found a property in Neilston, Glasgow, that she's interested in, but I have no clue where that is, or if the area is good or bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Little Monkey

Re: Good and bad areas in Glasgow?

I don't really know Neilston, but I think it's probably an OK area. Thing is, every area has its good bits and its bad bits.

A good way to get an idea of the area is to look up the post code in UpMyStreet and check out the neighbourhood profile.

Also, having a look at the neighbourhood with Google maps – especially the satellite view – can be useful.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    So, any areas in or around Glasgow that should definitely be avoided? She's found a property in Neilston, Glasgow, that she's interested in, but I have no clue where that is, or if the area is good or bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Little Monkey
    Neilston has a bit of a 'yokel' reputation - it's quite far out from the city centre (technically not part of Glasgow at all), at the end of one of the suburban railway lines. For example, the local minor football team's nickname is "The Farmer's Boys".

Only time I've been there it seemed unremarkable enough. Some new housing - it's a commuter town really.

In terms of places to avoid? Difficult to describe in a short paragraph. Being very general, I'd say post-war sink estates and the East End. But there are lots of decent new-builds in the East End, for example. Just be wary that estate agent descriptions of location can be quite elastic!

Knowing what your friend will be doing when they arrive would be a good indicator as to where she should live.
    eg If she was a doctor in the city centre then I suggest maybe staying around the Merchant city in the centre.

Follows on if she was working on the souh side of Glasgow then maybe Shawlands.

Hope this helps

Thread Information