5 12.20%

2 4.88%

3 7.32%

2 4.88%

3 7.32%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate your own dancing out of 10

Rate your own dancing out of 10

As for me, after watching and dancing with Jamie and Lee last night, it has proven how blatantly rubbish I am so I'll give myself a big fat 0.

Re: Rate your own dancing out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    As for me, after watching and dancing with Jamie and Lee last night, it has proven how blatantly rubbish I am so I'll give myself a big fat 0.
    Aww, cheer up! I know what you mean though. If I watch great dancers and then start rating my own dancing it can be very depressing... I end up going home feeling like I might as well not bother.

However, I am in a supergood birthday mood today, so I have rated myself based on the length of time I have been dancing (ie not comparing myself to pro dancers or people who have been at it for 10 years!) I have also factored in how much I enjoy it (very important part of the equation) and then added a few points because I'm feeling smiley today. So I've ended up with an unrealistic and over-confident 7!!

Tomorrow I will probably change it to 1 but for now I'll just enjoy the feeling while it lasts!

I really don't know where I'd put myself, I reckon I've got a LOT to learn but I'm happy with how I dance most of the time, not sure how that translates into numbers though.

I know this is a long shot, but was this Jamie wearing a hat and a fingerless glove? Because there's someone like that who taught at Leeds (where my girlfriend dances), and I think he was called Jamie. My girlfriend says I should ask him for a dance because he only dances with men or something like that, but every time I've been up to Leeds, alas no Hat Boy.

Dan

P.S. Happy birthday to she that was feeling confident and optimistic! You're only as good as your confidence allows you to be , so it's good to confident!
    Last edited by gebandemuishond; 30th-December-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Adding a P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    I know this is a long shot, but was this Jamie wearing a hat and a fingerless glove? Because there's someone like that who taught at Leeds (where my girlfriend dances), and I think he was called Jamie. My girlfriend says I should ask him for a dance because he only dances with men or something like that, but every time I've been up to Leeds, alas no Hat Boy.

Dan

P.S. Happy birthday to she that was feeling confident and optimistic! You're only as good as your confidence allows you to be , so it's good to confident!
    Jamie used to teach at Leeds at St Chad's so yeah you have the right Jamie

And completely agree about the confidence thing...I dance to enjoy myself and if i am on a high confidence day then i think my dancing is brill.. if not then I just get over it enjoy myself anyway... there will always be people better than me but i have fun so

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What style?

Seriously, it's a bit of a pointless exercise. The more I dance, the more aware I am of how much there is to improve, so the worse I consider myself to be - but that's natural, everyone who makes the dance journey feels like that.

So 5 years ago, I'd give myself a 9, now it's more like a 5. In 5 years' time I'll be at 1, at this rate. It's all relative.

Since I had someone abandon me mid-dance last night, I've obviously reached perfection, so it has to be 10.

Actually, since I have no interest in competing, I don't rate my dancing. I do it for fun, not to win prizes.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    Since I had someone abandon me mid-dance last night, I've obviously reached perfection, so it has to be 10.
    Look on the bright side - more drinking time

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    Actually, since I have no interest in competing, I don't rate my dancing. I do it for fun, not to win prizes.
    Competing has nothing to do with rating your own dancing but everything to do with other people rating your dancing - they are very different things.

(Some/most?) competitors have fun competing as well as the chance to win prizes - they are not mutually exclusive.

I'm quite happy with my dancing at the moment. Given myself a 9

Although on second thoughts, I'm getting quite bored of my repertoir as a lead, so I should change it to an 8. But I have aquired a lovely new move which should bump myself back to a 9, so I'll stay where I am.

9... yes

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post

Dan
    Hey, it sounds like me. I used to teach at Leeds around 6 months ago before I started teaching for Ceroc. I haven't been for a while as I teach every other Monday at Marcus Garvey in Nottingham, but I'll have to get back up there to say hi to a few people, if you see me around then do grab me for a dance

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    What style?

Seriously, it's a bit of a pointless exercise. The more I dance, the more aware I am of how much there is to improve, so the worse I consider myself to be - but that's natural, everyone who makes the dance journey feels like that.

So 5 years ago, I'd give myself a 9, now it's more like a 5. In 5 years' time I'll be at 1, at this rate. It's all relative.

Totally agree, I think there is always something new to add or improve on. Just when you think you reach a new high its just another false summit and you realise how much more there is to learn...

Some nights I'll have a dance where I think I've nailed it perfection wise then the very next dance I'll trip over my own feet and elbow myself in the face

karma, anyone???

What style?

Yup - eventually you'll get down to "0" which is very liberating

I have found thus far however, that the quality of my Ceroc is entirely dependent upon the person I'm dancing with. The better they are the better the dance and vice versa . * Given a lack of minus numbers, logically I have to be "0".

* So if you enjoy dancing with me you're obviously a good dancer and if you don't

1 For me, Long way 2 go b4 i think im good but im trying!

For a vegetable i dont think im doing half bad

I can't possibly rate my own dancing. Apart from the fact that it's impossible for me to be objective about myself, what do I measure my ability against? The best dancers nationally? The cream of the local crop? My friends? Beginners? Intermediates?

Depending on who I measure myself against, and in what context, I could easily score myself anything between about 4 and 10. It's a meaningless exercise.

Well, I haven't danced with anyone else on the list so I can't argue with them but Tartaniad is definitely being way too modest.

Commercial Operator

I honestly don't know how to rate my dancing when I keep moving the goalposts.

The best I can rate myself as is 'constantly improving'.

Yeah, well this poll goes to 11.

In my book, with minimal thought, 0 would be unable to move anything to relate to the rhythm or mood of the music.
    1 able to move something to relate to rhythm or mood.

from there upwards I would be looking for the ability to relate to other enties, such as a partner, audience or object, (e.g. dancing with hatstand).

Stuck at beginner class level would be around 3, intermediate 4 or 5. To rate more some creativity is required. From then on up it would be about quality and logarithmic. So 7 would be some multiple of 6, probably a doubling would be sufficient to cover the human scale. On my scale a 10 is very approximately 16 times as good as an experienced, bit creative, intermediate MJ dancer, and 9 would let you star in a West-End show. 10 gets you revered 70 years from now.

At the moment this poll looks more like a "how I rate dancers" exercise, or public expression of self-image than any realistic assessment.

As I said, this is first thoughts. I would say I was a creative intermediate, but my gut feeling is I rate about 4, i.e. I am about 1/60th of a dance God, with about 1/3 of the talent and 1/20 of the work required.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    At the moment this poll looks more like a "how I rate dancers" exercise, or public expression of self-image than any realistic assessment.
    Only if you compare yourself to other people, which is probably a fruitless exercise for many of us.

If you dance to the best of your ability, and try to enjoy each dance as much as you can, then each dance could be a 10 at that moment in time. That does mean that what would be a 10 when you first start might rate as a 1 a year or two into your dance life, but as all we have is this moment, that doesn't matter. Dance for the moment - I don't think I would ask for anything more.

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

What style?

This is the best post I've read in ages. Think given the results this poll should be called rate your own MJ dancing. However as it was rate yor dancing I only gave myself a 3 as a lot of the styles of dancing I'm attempting at the moment I'm pretty poor at and MJ in the big scale of things forms a very small part of the dance world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Hey, it sounds like me. I used to teach at Leeds around 6 months ago before I started teaching for Ceroc. I haven't been for a while as I teach every other Monday at Marcus Garvey in Nottingham, but I'll have to get back up there to say hi to a few people, if you see me around then do grab me for a dance

Hi! Very kind of you, I will do, although I'll have to ask someone to point you out as my only recollections are the hat and glove. Saying that, I'll probably not be in Leeds for a while as I'll back in Oxford, so maybe one day.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think I'll give myself a fairly arbitrary 6, based on the rather strange but interesting linear/logarithmic scale by bigdjiver.

Dan

Thread Information