Thread: Looking to start in Nottingham

Looking to start in Nottingham

Hi everyone I was looking for something something new and fun to try that I've never done before so dancing seemed perfect! I was wondering where might be the best venues to begin; are all of them equally non intimidating for a complete beginner! The ones that jump out are the Ceroc at Marcus Garvey and the Pulse at Beeston since I live just around the corner from there. Would either of these or anywhere else come more recommended for a first time, and are the beginner skills completely transferable?

I was also wondering whether it'd be a good idea to start with a Ceroc workshop before diving in as it might improve my chances of coming back a second time, or getting in in the first place Would this be a good idea or just trying it first!

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Looking to start in Nottingham

Hi Chris,

I think both Pulse and Marcus Garvey will look after beginners.

Ceroc has "Taxi Dancers" and Pulse has "Buddies" who essentially do the same thing - they help people in their first few weeks.

Pulse is a smaller venue, so MG might have more people in the same boat as you, but for the same reason you might get more attention from the crew at Pulse, so I'd be tempted to suggest Pulse at first.

Whichever you go to, the skills are easily transferable between the two. There are one or two moves with different names but they're all very similar.

I'm not sure if you're male or female? It's harder for men in their first few weeks because we have to lead the moves, whereas new women can be led by more experienced dancers through moves they've never seen before. So for men it's a few weeks before anything starts to make sense.

It's well worth sticking with it though.

I'd recommend going to a class night and (especially if you're a guy) seeing if you want to do a Beginner's workshop after you've seen what it's like.

I don't think MG reopens until 7 Jan - don't know about Pulse, I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,
    David
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Hi Chris,

I'm not sure if you're male or female? It's harder for men in their first few weeks because we have to lead the moves, whereas new women can be led by more experienced dancers through moves they've never seen before. So for men it's a few weeks before anything starts to make sense.

It's well worth sticking with it though.

I'd recommend going to a class night and (especially if you're a guy) seeing if you want to do a Beginner's workshop after you've seen what it's like.

I could not agree more
    As a taxi dancer locally I find the first week is "what have a let myself in for" the second week is "oh so thats my left hand" the third week is "ooh this is getting easier" the fourth week is "what have i let myself in for" the fifth week is "hmmm this seems a bit easier" and the sixth is "ooh look i am dancing"

As for a workshop well we normally recommend them after about two to three weeks which is before the fourth week plateau which everyone seems to hit thinking they should be finding it easier by then

Thanks for that advice and welcome! Yes what a glaring omission, I am male so its even harder for us lol! I really would like to approach this as best I possibly can since I know a couple of people who got scared away. I myself also discourage very easy especially with big social events and will look for a easy way out if I can at all find one! The prospect of Lenton was already a bit of a turn off if you know what I mean

So as I desperately seek a little headstart, are your suggestions about the workshop purely because it'd be a waste if I didn't like it or just because you get more out of it by waiting? I am willing to take the risk with the former as I know I approach things with ten times the confidence when I'm prepared, and am likely to come away more encouraged and determined to stick it out. Although I don't know what to expect and wonder if its going to be a little too much to take on as a first session.

The Dashing Moderator

Hi Chris,

I think you might get more out of a workshop if you have even a vague idea of what's going on, which the class will give you.

Bear in mind that every class will start with a Beginner's lesson and it is designed to be suitable for absolute beginners.

Also they don't run Beginner's workshops every week, so you might have to wait a few weeks until there's one available - I don't know when the next Pulse one is, but it looks like the next Ceroc one is towards the end of January.

I'd recommend going to a class and giving it a go!

HTH
    David
    Love dance, will travel

I went to Pulse in Beeston on Sunday for the first time (as an almost new beginner). Very friendly crowd, very intimate venue (nearly spun my partner into the teacher - oops) and well taught.

If I can just figure out where to park nearby, I'd like to go back

Thread Information