Thread: Do you get in anywhere for free and why?

Do you get in anywhere for free and why?

I know there are a lot of teachers/demos/taxis here but does anyone get into places for free? And why?

I have been offered free entries on the odd occasion and was offered free entry all year at one venue. And I was once a taxi dancer, until I quit.

Also do think that people should be allowed free entries say just for ability or should they be paying customers?

Just interested.

(t'was going to do a poll but my wii ran out of flash memory, god damn it)
    Last edited by Steven666; 27th-December-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Re: Do you get in anywhere for free and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Also do think that people should be allowed free entries say just for ability or should they be paying customers?
    In the early days of Nantwich there were certain dancers we targeted as they were good dancers and/or social networkers. Though it was never a carte blanche 'get-in-free-forever' we used our judgement and it was quite successful. There used to be a gentlemen's agreement in the N West that instructors got in free, till every tom, dick and harry started calling themselves a teacher ... then it stopped.

To be honest, its got nothing to do with Jo Public. Promoters do it to help build up the club, either to raise the standard of dancers, get more dancers in or reward those who have helped the club.

o be honest, I'd only feel comfortable being given a freebie if its for a club I've helped out in the past. I know there are a few instructors who would have been offered freebies, but because they've more or less demanded it now have to pay to get in.

I know there are a lot of teachers/demos/taxis here but does anyone get into places for free? And why?
    At my local venue (Planet LeRoc, Cardiff) the taxi dancers get free entry. I'm one of them, so I'm definitely not complaining. I wouldn't feel comfortable about accepting freebies elsewhere because I haven't earned them - but then again, they've never been offered either!

Commercial Operator

I like to pay. It's not much, and, once you've paid you can please yourself. If you accept free entry you've accepted that you're working. You're working the floor, you're giving. If you've paid you should expect to get your money's worth and dance with whoever gives you pleasure.

Free entry? It really isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    If you accept free entry you've accepted that you're working. You're working the floor, you're giving.
    True. I like doing the work though, so for me it's worthwhile. Besides, I'm only "on duty" every other week, which gives me alternate weeks to do my own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

Free entry? It really isn't worth it.
    yes it is worth it I am a taxi dancer and thoroughly enjoy doing it i get immense pleasure out of helping people (or hindering depending on how they end up dancing )

I also feel the free entry is just reward for the fact that i am a complete bore about ceroc and tell everyone so i guess a lot of the local venues get people going (and paying) that they wouldn't have had if i didn't do my ambassador bit i also try to make sure that i go to every busk i can so i do earn my free entries in more ways than one

Commercial Operator

Not saying where, but there's one venue I get in to for free because I host their website. Unfortunately, as it's about five hours drive from home, I've only been able to go a couple of times

I get in free to all the good venues, so if they don't let me in for free, then it's not a good venue, obviously!

I never knew non-taxi dancers could get in anywhere for free!! That'd be really useful, especially for a poor student! What do I have to do? Become a Dance-God? Start wearing a hat?

Dan

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    I never knew non-taxi dancers could get in anywhere for free!! That'd be really useful, especially for a poor student! What do I have to do? Become a Dance-God? Start wearing a hat?
    Easy - just provide them with something (a service, for example) which makes it financially worth their while. Nothing to it

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    True. I like doing the work though, so for me it's worthwhile. Besides, I'm only "on duty" every other week, which gives me alternate weeks to do my own thing.
    Ahh, I don't class working as a taxi dancer as getting in for free. You're working and you shouldn't expect to pay to get in to work. At our classes the "payment" for a night working as Taxi is that you get in for free to a night when you are not working - I'd pay them if it wasn't for the small matter of PAYE, keeping records, generating P45s etc, etc.

When I think of getting in for free it's those events that are trying to attract you with the offer of free entry. As if getting free entry would convince you that you should attend. It's nice to be let in for free at events that you've chosen to attend, but it still leaves you feeling that you need to do something in exchange - in my case it's mostly dancing with the ladies who don't get asked much. And sometimes you find out why And sometimes you're pleasantly surprised

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Easy - just provide them with something (a service, for example) which makes it financially worth their while. Nothing to it

I don't think any service I could provide could possibly persuade Ceroc Oxford to let me in free . Not only do they charge a whole 6 pounds with a student discount, but one night I forgot my cards, and was threatened with having to pay a tenner and fill in a new membership form, even when I was recognised as being a regular customer by the door lady!

Dan

Thread Information