View Poll Results: What is happening to numbers of MJ dancers attending events in your area?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Numbers attending classes have gone down

3 23.08%
  • Numbers attending classes are about the same

2 15.38%
  • Numbers attending classes are going up

5 38.46%
  • Numbers attending parties/dances have gone down

3 23.08%
  • Numbers attending parties/dances are about the same

6 46.15%
  • Numbers attending parties/dances are going up

2 15.38%
  • I don't have time to go to classes/dances/parties as I'm too busy on the forum!

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Class & Party/Dance Night Numbers Going Down?

Re: Are Class & Party/Dance Night Numbers Going Down?

Ceroc at St Albans is getting ridiculously overcrowded

the night DTS and Trouble came, there was 209 people!!!

this was an ordinary class night on a Thursday

its far too many for a small school hall

perfect for the kids to sit in on their assemblies

but for jiving in?

no no...

This could be very interesting because from it we could perhaps work out the best formula for a popular party/ class night

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    Ceroc at St Albans is getting ridiculously overcrowded
    On the other hand, Shenley's closed down. Swings and roundabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cullen View Post

As far as Andy and myself are concerned, we met up for Christmas dinner he met the family had a few drinks, watched a few dance video's nothing unusual in that.

Over.
    Haven't seen your reply to that one yet Steve

Nice one Billy.

But now a serious note: As far as I can see, there's been a dramatic decline in attendances of both Ceroc and Leroc classes and party nights since I started MJ about 5 years ago. I remember when Leroc's and the GUU classes/party nights were mobbed, even when two rooms were being used; this year's Ceroc's Glasgow Christmas party night the small bar room sufficed (yes, I know the big room was double (triple)booked)). It's of little value saying "We're fully booked on our Chrismas/New Year Party nights" if they weren't and I was an organiser I think I'd pack up and get a job!!

Admit it, attendances in the Glasgow area are down (not in all venues and not on all nights) but overall, a blind man with a beanie pulled over his head could see there are less people at venues now than there were just a couple of years ago.

I've suggested this before:-

Conduct a questionnaire (NOT on this forum, as it's not fully representative of ALL those who attend classes and party nights) with a few simply worded questions asking why attendances are down and what should change and try to act on the results; it can't do any harm and may even enlighten those with their heads in the sand.

I would hate to see Ceroc or Leroc close in Glasgow due to intransigence, especially as I'm toying with the idea of going back to JJ's Thursday night classes.

Quote Originally Posted by hinksfield View Post
    The same teachers/DJs in autopilot doing the same set ...havent heard much in the way of creating an atmosphere at classes or parties.
    I think the type of dancers who are attracted to modern jive, which has no hard and fast rules, like say ballroom, are type with a low boredom threshold.

Expense ?? classes run very expensive at £7-8 per night and parties @ £10-£20 well it doesnt look good value for money..
    True, I can get into a West End night club for a fiver.
    [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    The last two dances that I went to at Hipsters, Halloween and the first Friday in December, I was shocked at the turn out. The last time I was there it was packed which was over a year ago, this time I reckon there could only have been 100 dancers max.
    Its a real pity as this used to be a cracking nite
    It's the floor Gerry. That's where I pulled a muscle in October - and i was talcing my shoes in a corner.

I saw some photos of a recent event there and the floor was white with talc. None down when I was there.

Does anyone know if the floor is ok yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    The above exchange seems to have passed with little comment. As an organiser myself it sent shivers down my spine! Is this the start of a trend? Are other venues suffering from the same problems? If they are, what do you think is the cause?
    I noticed when they were originally posted and there was a big freeze on at the time.

Glasgow was about -6 at the time.

London was -1

Less folks would venture out in -6 surely. Or are the people of Glasgow and Edinburgh very hardy?

Expense ?? classes run very expensive at £7-8 per night and parties @ £10-£20 well it doesnt look good value for money..
    But it's not £7-8 or £10-£20; add your fuel cost, drinks (soft or otherwise) and it's a good bit more. If Jacqui and I go to a party night it can cost me around 35 quid and a class night over 20.

Not to dampen this conversation to much but with regards to the party nights in Edinbugh I looked over the figures for the last 5 years and really nothing is out of sorts there have been other years where we have flucuated. On 2007 we are down about 6% from 2006 that equates to about 10 people.

I would probably put this down to me, not smiling enough, and the fact that there are now far more parties than there were 2 years ago about 5 more per month in fact. This is further confirmed by the fact that we see a lot less people from other cities.

One thing I have noticed is that people increasingly tend to come later to parties in Edinburgh typically it does not start filling up till between 9.30 til 10.00 where as it used to fill up 2 years ago between 8.45 and 9.15.

I do not think dancing is on the decrease as a general trend, I just think there is a lot more choice out there these day and eventually supply outpaces demand. Such is life.

Numbers for the Daventry 29 Dec. freestyle seemed good to me - in spite of the fact that there were several other big free-styles that night there were plenty of dancers there, certainly not noticeably less than in previous years.

Thread Information