Thread: Awesome Musicality

Awesome Musicality

After all the discussions that have gone on about the Jive Masters and how musical some of the dancing was I just thought I should mention the Black Ball in Dorking this weekend.

Peter Phillips was playing some fantastic music in the Blues room and Nigel & Nina were dancing together ....... it was totally awe inspiring. The whole room stopped to watch, they didn't do any flash moves but were just completely intune with each other and with the music. I'm not even sure that they realised the effect they were having on everybody else there.

Forget all the big moves from last weekend this was dancing at the very top level, and something I've never seen before.

If anyone else was there perhaps they could say what they thought?

100% in agreement, Nina had never heard any of the tracks, Nigel had heard one of them.
    Because they are so well known we sometimes take them for granted, but if they ever entered an open comp again who would come second - Robert Cordoba?
    over to you Minnie M

Thanks for the comments.

I would love to play a Blues room in Scotland hint hint Franck

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    over to you Minnie M

Nigel & Nina are one of the BEST dancing couples we have on the MODERN JIVE circuit and definitely the best for cabaret
    Unfortunately the are not the best dancers in this country and definitely not the best in the world

In an open competition they wouldn't stand a chance with Robert Cordoba (sorry LL)

BUT that is MY opinion only !

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    hmm quoting yourself ? doesnt make us pay anymore attention y'know

Sorry - not sure how I did that 'quoting myself' - must be all those years of talking to myself

I would also love to attend a Blues workshop HINT HINT HINT Franck!

Originally posted by Aleks
    So a blues workshop and dance in the evening, it gets better

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Aleks
    I get the hint, but I recall that due to exams etc... you missed the last 2 week-ends which included Blues / UPC workshops... I reckon you need to sort your priorities
    hehe, big enought hint
    As we discussed, I'd be delighted to have you guest DJ up in Scotland soon... All I need is a suitable date for both of us!

Franck.

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Minnie M
    Unfortunately the are not the best dancers in this country and definitely not the best in the world

In an open competition they wouldn't stand a chance with Robert Cordoba (sorry LL)

BUT that is MY opinion only !
    And we're all entitled to our opinion ( thank goodness )

I've never seen Robert Cordoba but have heard so mnay wonderful comments I'd love to see him.

There have been several threads about who is the best/ favourite dancers and of the dancers I've seen I've said so often that the best couple I've seen in terms of musical interpretation and playing with the music has to be N & N - by some way. Viktor is probably the 'smoothest' but Nigel is superb at playing with the music and leading women into moves they didn't know they could do

I've already said that it would be some Jive Masters final with the likes of N&N, Lily & David, Viktor and C & J...........just add Nicky & Robert, Robert Cordoba and a couple of other 'top' dancers and ...........wow

Originally posted by Bill
    And we're all entitled to our opinion ( thank goodness )

I've already said that it would be some Jive Masters final with the likes of N&N, Lily & David, Viktor and C & J...........just add Nicky & Robert, Robert Cordoba and a couple of other 'top' dancers and ...........wow
    Yes Bill I totally agree with above

Unfortunately my post wasn't too clear, N & N are fantastic in the modern jive scene, but LL was comparing them with Robert Cordoba a real master at WCS and his partner Deborah is quite the finest dancer I have ever seen (they are 5 times world champions) - I think he was comparing their dancing skills, and if so, we should include the many fantastic dancers with have on the swing scene.

However, I must get off my soap box as this IS a Ceroc forum and I think if we stick to Ceroc and music interpretation, I think there are many 1st rate dancers who are not in the limelight and not necessarily with the right dancing partners (eg: Ben & Tas are incredible together) - the standard of dancing is geating higher and higher, we just need the right music - that's why we need more sexy music to dance/play with

- over to LL aka Peter Phillips

I have seen Robert & Debora once they were awsome in a freestyle cabaret, Viktor & Lydia + Nigel & Nina are friends and I admire their dancing, viktor is my fav teacher, but what I saw last Saturday was pure genius, the room was empty when they started dancing and it was just the two of them playing with the music, then the crowd gathered, It was the best dance performance I have seen anywhere.

Blues Night In Scotland

A Blues night it is then Well done again Franck (in advance this time) this should be really exciting stuff.

Where in Scotland???? Surely it is going to be very popular and therefore busy. If it means mostly slow tunes and nice seducers etc then should we be considering the Perth Venue we had at that last Big Perth Weekend?? It had plenty of room, i know some felt it was too dark but more lighting would soon sort that out. We could have Bill and Fran doing their stuff up on stage also trampy boy with sheena went down a storm last time so a blues style routine would be really great to see. not so sure about that bright kilt though Franck.
    Looking at the Glasgow venues i just wonder if they are big enough for dancers to have some space to dance. What do you think guys?

Oh almost forgot WHEN FRANCK WHEN. SOON SOON SOON.

Blues in a big room - not really the blues works in smaller/average size venues,
    the tempo is around 100 to 120bpm so any modern jiver can dance to it.
    If there are venues with two dance areas seperate ceroc and blues room is popular (aka, Black Ball, Camber, Bognor, Swingin the Blues & Rebel yell).
    Or blues friday followed by a Saturday dance.
    Just a few ideas

Unfortunately they are not the best dancers in this country and definitely not the best in the world
    So who do you think are the best dancers in the UK ......if they are better than N&N I would really love to see them.

I saw Simon Selmon at the Jive Masters and he was fantastic but N&N are a partnership and I've never seen any other couple in the UK come close to their versatility over all styles of music.

I have seen Robert & Debora once they were awsome in a freestyle cabaret, Viktor & Lydia + Nigel & Nina are friends and I admire their dancing, viktor is my fav teacher, but what I saw last Saturday was pure genius, the room was empty when they started dancing and it was just the two of them playing with the music, then the crowd gathered, It was the best dance performance I have seen anywhere.
    You missed the plug at the end Pete - it was YOUR MUSIC I was asking you to reply to
    Originally posted by Sarah B
    So who do you think are the best dancers in the UK ......if they are better than N&N I would really love to see them.
    I wish I hadn't said anything now - in the UK N & N are one of the best on the modern jive scene. Robert Cordoba is American. On the UK swing scene, there is Ryan & Jenny (who ARE Brits) Dan & Christy our very own Cookie (Angela Andrews) to name a few - my favourites (and most others) are Ryan & Jenny

See you tonight Sarah ? Marilene's 30th and Viktor's homecoming at Jive Bug ?

B.T.C.
    the standard of dancing is geating higher and higher, we just need the right music - that's why we need more sexy music to dance/play with
    I'll drink to that

You missed the plug at the end Pete - it was YOUR MUSIC I was asking you to reply to
    Oops sorry:sorry
    I am doing my best to get some bookings - (blue/swing or modern jive). Franck has had enough hints I have a Emailed Ceroc's office to go on list of DJ's but no reply (not even an acknowledgment which is surprising)

I would like to do a regular slot weekly/monthly playing music only heard at big events such as the swing/blues room at Camber/Bognor or special dances such as Chiswick, Brighton, Dorking and next Saturday at Woking
    But not sure if there would be enough support for a regular event, it would have to be London/M25 area,
    You may recall I tried it in Brighton and it was not popular.

snip ....but what I saw last Saturday was pure genius, the room was empty when they started dancing and it was just the two of them playing with the music, then the crowd gathered, It was the best dance performance I have seen anywhere.
    I agree when N&N are doing their own thing it is fantastic.. little bit stressful mustering courage to join them on the floor though.... easier though when Nina told us to

I think its the musical connection (music, mood,venue etc ) rather than the moves that makes a particular piece stand out. Anyone who saw Hasse and Marie demonstrating dancing with Passion (boogie woogie at Splurge 3) will know what I mean.

Thread Information